Chaco golden knee care

RalphDacanay

Arachnosquire
Ok ill go with the dubias maybe buy a colony for a starter just same care as the crickets right?

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Ok ill go with the dubias maybe buy a colony for a starter just same care as the crickets right?
I would recommend not buying a colony - they breed SO quickly soon you will have hundreds of roaches and not enough Ts to eat them!
Go buy a couple and just keep them the same way you'd keep crickets. Your T may not be hungry and/or also may not like them, so no need to go colony crazy quite yet!

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Ok 5 females a male and some nymphs
I mean the first time I bought roaches I just stuck my hand into the tub and grabbed a bunch...I'd say get them in size relating to your Ts. I have quite a few little ones so I went with smaller roaches

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
i highly recommend superworms, they live forever and make great meals, they dont stink or make any noise as well. not to mention they are extremely easy to find. a dubia colony is a waste of time and money for 1 tarantula.

RalphDacanay

Arachnosquire
I mean the first time I bought roaches I just stuck my hand into the tub and grabbed a bunch...I'd say get them in size relating to your Ts. I have quite a few little ones so I went with smaller roaches
Ok i understand now

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I believe you can sterilize and remove moisture from naturally found bark by cooking it, maybe a better alternative?
True on moisture, not on sterilization. You can't technically sterilize it, but heating it high can make it safer generally.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
True on moisture, not on sterilization. You can't technically sterilize it, but heating it high can make it safer generally.
Yeah you can do some serious cleaning if you heat it up enough - not autoclave clean, but close. I am an avid plant grower and one way "clean" soil if you're looking to reuse it is to cook it in a microwave. It has to be damp, because essentially you're heating up and boiling the water contained in the water and boiling is the best way to eliminate unwanted bacteria and any other potentially living organisms (plants, bugs, fungi, whatever). You use the microwave to get it up to temp and the deed is done.

I'd try it if the pet store filled with cork bark wasn't five minutes from my house. :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah you can do some serious cleaning if you heat it up enough - not autoclave clean, but close. I am an avid plant grower and one way "clean" soil if you're looking to reuse it is to cook it in a microwave. It has to be damp, because essentially you're heating up and boiling the water contained in the water and boiling is the best way to eliminate unwanted bacteria and any other potentially living organisms (plants, bugs, fungi, whatever). You use the microwave to get it up to temp and the deed is done.

I'd try it if the pet store filled with cork bark wasn't five minutes from my house. :)
Plant grower.. in vivs or normal plants in a pot? If viv's, you should research dart frogs.... ;)

cold blood

Staff member
Or crickets are better? I saw on the thread that they bought some crickets and all just die fast? Any tips on keepinv them alive? Feeding it fruits for food souce and hydration. And im also gonna put some egg cartons thingy for hiding.
Dont worry about hydration and dont use fruits or vegies with too much moisture. You want good ventilation and dry....add moisture and crickets will die in mass. Carrots and potato are options, but i just drop in a piece or two of dog kibble.

Ok 5 females a male and some nymphs
It will be like 5 or 6 months before your colony will be large enough to feed from.

No, care is simpler for roaches. My advice is to find banded crickets, theyre considerably more hardy.

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I have used banded, field, and domestic crickets, dubia, locusts, mealworms, superworms, Phoenix worms, and waxworms. Out of those i now prefer
Phoenix worms, cut up, for the really small slings, whole for small
slings, mealworms for juvi/large slings, and superworms and locusts for the rest. Always crush heads of worms or they can become a hazard to your T.

RalphDacanay

Arachnosquire
Shes 4-5 inch is she a juvie or adult? And shes still not eating i dont wanna stress her out maybe ill wait for 2 weeks for her to settle?

cold blood

Staff member
Shes 4-5 inch is she a juvie or adult? And shes still not eating i dont wanna stress her out maybe ill wait for 2 weeks for her to settle?
I would consider that a sub adult if its female, if its male, it very well may be penultimate.

2 weeks to settle? Feeding is a good way to help a t settle, i generally feed new ts within 48 hours...sometimes the same day...and its usually taken quickly.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
View attachment 228140 still have her legs tuck in
That is a stress position. I don't know if that light is on, or if you simply put it on to take a picture. If it is always on, switch it off. Make sure her waterdish is full, and leave her alone for a couple of days to settle in. No feeding, like ColdBlood said, no opening the enclosure, no cleaning. Just provide a quiet time and fresh water, that's it. She needs to get used to her surroundings.