Chaco Gold knee (G Pulchripes) dormant in winter- nocturnal?

Bff1cass

Arachnopeon
Hi, I have a 5" ish g Pulchripes that has holed herself up for about 4 months (sealed herself off, no food/water). She just came out a week ago and she hasn't molted like I expected her too. S/he hasn't molted since I got him/her a year ago.... I am not worried, but I am curious as to whether or not this is normal? Are there certain times when the chacos like to molt? She is still fasting, but she is drinking now, so that as probably a good sign. What do you think? Has this happened to anyone else? It is possible that it is temperature related as my house was a touch colder in the winter.

From my research, I have heard that chacos aren't shy, by mine is- it only comes out at night or when I am still, and if I move too much around him/her, s/he waits ill I have backed away, then books it to the shelter... Are chacos generally a bit nocturnal? Anyone else experienced this?

Last question: has anyone been bit by a Chaco? Is it awful or not so bad?

Billeh

Arachnosquire
Sounds like a normal Grammostola and burrower honestly. Grammostola are slow growers, at that size, you shouldn't be expecting molts that often. And burrowers sometimes just like to close up their burrows and relax for a bit. Sounds like everything is perfectly normal, and you have nothing to worry about :)

Also, G.pulchripes bites are not that bad. You can read it in the BiteReports section on this website!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I have a little sling that disappears underground for a month or two at a time, and then emerges larger and skinnier. Seems to be normal for the species.

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My huge Chaco has sealed herself off under her hide, which I strategically placed against the glass so I could see, and hasn't come out for months. However, I did pair her in the summer of 2011 and she hasn't molted in the 2 years I've owned her, so she could be gravid. My point being, Grammostolas do everything slow.

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My A. seemani has been in hiding since about January or so and literally re appeared yesterday. No molt. She'll be out for about a month then hide again. She does this a lot. Your baby is fine. :)

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I have a G. pulchripes that's 2.5 years old, and it hasn't molted in over a year...I would guess the legspan is 3.5 inches. It hasn't eaten since last year, either. It's active, often coming out to move dirt around, but I am really wondering how long the no eat/no molt period is going to last. I keep it in the upper 70s and offer food once a week...this might just be how they are at this age. <shrug> I thought it would start eating at the end of winter, but no.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Mine are always hungry and grow at a moderate rate. I suspect something is wrong with the cage conditions for yours to be like that.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Mine are always hungry and grow at a moderate rate. I suspect something is wrong with the cage conditions for yours to be like that.
Huh. Well, the cage conditions have been the same for years. Eco Earth, log hide, shallow water bowl, temps typically 76-80 degrees. The G. Pulchra sitting a foot away in the next critter keeper is eating and molting normally. Does something I'm doing stand out as being wrong?

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My 6" female goes into hiding from approx. November to April next year. She's not fond of winter and stays mainly hidden even at night. She fasts during that time, only seldomly takes a drink (if at all!) and otherwise just wants to be left alone. Should be mentioned that room they're in is all-year at least ~22°C. Obviously during summer it's ~30°C-35°C for as long as it lasts. So there's no real "cool" time, but I'm assuming once she realized the hot days are gone she just doesn't care to wait if they come back anytime soon and goes to "sleepmode" :D