Ceratogyrus marshalli eggsac care

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
Can I just basically follow this guide here? https://www.theraphosidae.be/en/ceratogyrus-marshalli/ (Scroll down to the bottom part about breeding)

Should I take the eggsac or leave it with the mother?

Is the humidity requirement of 70% really important to keep and do I need to buy a humidity meter?

http://www.theraphosidae.be/en/vogelspinnen/levenscyclus/ This page mentions "it’s the breeders responsibility to turn the eggs a few times each days", but the eggs are inside a web hammock that is fixed in a permanent position? The spider doesn't/can't even even turn them by itself.

cold blood

Staff member
Is the humidity requirement of 70% really important to keep and do I need to buy a humidity meter?
No and no.

it’s the breeders responsibility to turn the eggs a few times each days", but the eggs are inside a web hammock that is fixed in a permanent position?
Mom turns ball type egg sacs, hammock sack arent rotated.

You can take it at 25-35 days, open and incubate it just like any other...or you can leave it with mom.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I leave sacs with mom now. I used to pull sacs at the recommended 30-ish days, but I just couldn't keep doing that when the females would fight so desperately to protect their developing offspring. I felt terrible for ripping their hard work away, and all my females have been amazing mothers. The longest I have left slings with a female was with one of my P. chordatus girls, who shared prey with 3i-4i slings.

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
No and no.

Mom turns ball type egg sacs, hammock sack arent rotated.

You can take it at 25-35 days, open and incubate it just like any other...or you can leave it with mom.
If I leave it with mom, do I need to monitor the humidity in there? Will the slings be susceptible to death from too much moisture (or even too little)?

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
I just couldn't keep doing that when the females would fight so desperately to protect their developing offspring.
People that take eggsacs from their OWs must really have nerves from steel.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I leave sacs with mom now. I used to pull sacs at the recommended 30-ish days, but I just couldn't keep doing that when the females would fight so desperately to protect their developing offspring. I felt terrible for ripping their hard work away, and all my females have been amazing mothers. The longest I have left slings with a female was with one of my P. chordatus girls, who shared prey with 3i-4i slings.
I agree i feel vad taking the sac from female! The big advantage taking sacs is that you have better control over slings. I often placed the nymph in a their own delicup. Very easy when not moving much. Harder when a 1000 piece egsack hatch in females tank with spiders running all over and escsping

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
People that take eggsacs from their OWs must really have nerves from steel.
I mean... I guess? I honestly don't understand the stigma around OWs.

Isn't that way too old to still be living with parents? Haha
Mom was an "attachment parenting" type :p

I agree i feel vad taking the sac from female! The big advantage taking sacs is that you have better control over slings. I often placed the nymph in a their own delicup. Very easy when not moving much. Harder when a 1000 piece egsack hatch in females tank with spiders running all over and escsping
The species I have bred don't have that many slings lol

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Then it is another story. Still, much easier to place 50 nymph in delicups than 50 nymphs moulting into slings inside the sac and hatching in the enclosure and you have to chasing them around and rip out the whole substrate to find them!

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
So, I saw a few babies yesterday and today I decided to remove the eggsac because 20 or so babies doesn't seem right. I think a good 60-70% didn't make it which is unfortunate. Some eggs were already stuck together and moldy and the rest had white spots on one side. Maybe it's a problem with the temperature? It's been really hot over here. The babies hatched a few days early compared to the recommended 4 weeks I read in the guide.

Last edited: