1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centruroides gracilis care

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by sloth, Mar 21, 2019.

1. sloth

sloth Arachnoknight Active Member

Advertisement
    Hi! So my local reptile shop has come Centuroides gracilis in and I was wondering about their care(Don’t worry I have experience with scorpions) I read they are very reclusive and non aggressive. I also read they like for humid conditions and prefer vertical bark to climb on. Is this correct? Also how humid does it have to be? Do I spray half the enclosure 1 a week? The whole thing? 2 a week? Also how much do I feed it? What’s their adult size? Would a 6x6x6 square work for an adult?

Sorry I know this is a lot of questions you don’t have to answer all of them if you don’t but anything will be greatly appreciated. Thanks to everything in advance :)

2. Arachnotroik

Arachnotroik Arachnosquire

Yes, majority of what u said is correct. Regarding on how humid does it have to be, i think spraying once a week is enough and i'd put a shallow waterdish too. I feed mine once a week. About their size, males are usually longer, their size are a bit close to Heteroctonus junceus.

3. sloth

Would the 6x6x6 inch cube work for an adult?

4. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoemperor Active Member

6x6x6 should be fine, I keep mine in 32oz deli cups. Height is the important thing so as long at you have an angled or vertical thing for them to hang on they'll be happy. Juveniles will also use gravity to help them molt, which is why a little extra height is nice. 6" should be plenty though.

5. Arachnotroik

Yes, just make sure to put a bark or anything he/she can hang on.

6. ArachnoDrew

ArachnoDrew Arachnoprince Active Member

Heat. Humidity. Vertical bark and lots of food

7. sloth

How hot should they be? And how often should I feed it?

8. sloth

Would room temp of 80 during the day and about 75 at night be fine for them?

9. ArachnoDrew

Yea just reduce ventilation for humidity

10. sloth

@pannaking22 and @Arachnotroik How big do they get? And how often do you feed yours? I read somewhere that they may be parthenogenic, is this true? Thanks

11. pannaking22

Mine got to be an inch and a half or so, not counting the tail. I'd feed them every one to two weeks once they got near adulthood, weekly or twice a week when they were younger. I believe there are populations that are parthenogenetic, but none are in the hobby.

12. ArachnoDrew

They breed extremely prolifically I think people believe this because females can have multiple broods with 1 mating session.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Arachnotroik

I feed mine once-twice a week depending on it's instar. I feed 4th Instar specimens below twice theb i feed the 5th instar and above specimens once. The specimen that i have right now are currently in their 7th Instar, both of them are about an Inch and a half, But i did see some specimens that grew up to 3-4 Inches. Google says they can actually grow up to 15 cm or approx. 6 inches.

14. pannaking22

I've actually IDed some from Central America that were about that size with the tail extended. If I hadn't keyed them out there's no way I would have believed they were gracilis. Truly mindboggling the size variation in this species.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Falsielove13

Falsielove13 Arachnopeon

My adults are roughly 2.5 inches for the males and I have a roughly 4 inch female . I thought this was the normal size until reading this.... Where the hell are mine from if they are double the 'average' size? And I agree to the prolific breeding. Always breed without fail for me. A semi fast grower as they only live 3-4 years. My babies from the last brood are all 3i currently .

16. Falsielove13

Falsielove13 Arachnopeon

Good question! My female is at least 4 inches and Male is a hair over 3 inches. I just had another brood a couple weeks ago and I thought 30ish.... now that most are separated into their own cups... it has to be a brood of 48-50. Holy shit. Lol. I wanted an army of gracilis because they are a beautiful easy to care for and breed communal species but damn... 50 2i scorpions on top of 10 4i scorpions plus my only pair of adult . I'm looking for new adults to make sure the blood lines stay solid, but they are an awesome species and I keep 19 species of buthidae, mostly hots, and love my gracilis. Lol