1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Central New York -- looking for millipedes/isopods.

Discussion in 'Field Trips (Natural Habitats)' started by cassraptor, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Advertisement
    Hello!! I live in Syracuse, Camillus more in specific. I'm looking for places to find interesting isopods and millipedes in my area or relatively close.

Most places I know are state forests and I dont believe i can take anything out of those.

Does anyone have any recs or is there anyone in the area who already has some of these inverts in their home?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Telsaro

Telsaro Arachnopeon Active Member

Hello Cassraptor!

I used to live in the Syracuse area, Liverpool to be specific. I also lived in Ithaca.

The best place I know of that doesn't require a permit or permission from the land owner is the Finger Lakes National Forest. Its located between Cayuga and Seneca lake. It is about an hour and twenty minute drive from Camillus. You don't need a permit for collecting insects from national forests. (Source: http://www.theskepticalmoth.com/collecting-permits/)

Let us know what you find!

3. davehuth

davehuth Arachnosquire Active Member

Hello explorers: I have family in the Syracuse area and visit frequently. I've been learning about native millipedes, so I'm curious what anyone's been able to find around central NY? Anything interesting lurking out there? :)