Centipedes "wagging" terminals while running.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Some pedes seem to run in a different fashion to others: they will shake their terminal legs vigorously from side to side while running. Currently, I've only seen three pedes that do this. The first is Azog, who used to run in that manner very often when agitated. None of the E. rubripes at Cape York ran like that, so it seems to be more of an individual thing. Second, one individual of the Cormocephalus sp. that I frequently find in the botanic gardens ran in this fashion across a footpath while I was chasing it with my camera. The third was a wild S. alternans I saw on YT, which was sadly killed by the people in the video.
Anyway, have any of you guys seen pedes run like this? I would like to know.

basin79

ArachnoGod
That'll just be a defensive trait. Trying to make it look like their legs are their antenna so if they're attacked it's there instead of the head.

TreebeardGoddess

Arachnosquire
I wonder if certain species are more apt to shake their thing? Also, if a different type/size of predator would stimulate that defensive reaction (vs. bravely running away in a less noticeable fashion)?
Sort of tangential, does anyone know of any scientist(s) actively studying centipedes and their behavior?

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Ha, my S. morsitans from China is very prone to flipping up his terminals and jiggling them. It is a nervous 'pede and probably approaching a molt, so it is even more twitchy than usual. My R. longipes is also VERY sensitive, she will splay and shake her terminals if the light is turned on. It might just be a situational or individual thing.

patrick nimbs

Arachnoknight
Some pedes seem to run in a different fashion to others: they will shake their terminal legs vigorously from side to side while running. Currently, I've only seen three pedes that do this. The first is Azog, who used to run in that manner very often when agitated. None of the E. rubripes at Cape York ran like that, so it seems to be more of an individual thing. Second, one individual of the Cormocephalus sp. that I frequently find in the botanic gardens ran in this fashion across a footpath while I was chasing it with my camera. The third was a wild S. alternans I saw on YT, which was sadly killed by the people in the video.
Anyway, have any of you guys seen pedes run like this? I would like to know.
Yeah, my centipede did it when I fed it and I turned on the light and it bolted under its hide with the terminal legs wagging as it ran! Completely normal!! It also did it when I was trying to catch it and it scooted into the catcher with the terminal legs wagging and now it does it still when it bolts around in its cage when it is surprised or furious at me for apparently annoying it!!!