1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centipedes of Thailand

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by millipeter, Sep 25, 2008.

1. millipeter

millipeter Arachnoknight Old Timer

Advertisement
    Hi,
    I'm back from my trip to Thailand. On the island Koh Samet I found 2 specimens of Scolopendra suspinipes dehaani. The first one (pic1) was about 13-15cm and found under leaves on the forest floor. It was quite docile and was observed a few hours later under the same big leaf where I put it before.

The second one (pic2+3) was found in a rotten tree trunk near the beach and seemed in the first moments like a 40cm monster. It was fast and handling (for an non-Scolpendra keeper like me) was hard and btw I wore only flip-flops. After about 5 minutes (feeling like hours) it stands still for some pics. In fact it was about only 22-25cm and thicker like my thumb.

Attached Files:

2. millipeter

millipeter Arachnoknight Old Timer

Another smaller species (about 6cm) was caught in the south of Thailand north of Khao Lak in a leaf layer on a quite open site near a forest. If somebody has a guess what species it is. I can also make some better photos if some details are needed for determination.

@Turgut: If you want that cute guy you can have him ;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  3. peterbourbon

peterbourbon Arachnolord

Hey Peter,

welcome back & thanks sooo much!
    Since Otostigmus scaber is missing in my collection.:drool:

Hope your vacation was interesting & exciting.
    Your millipedes from Tenerife are in "Leidhecken", ready to be fetched. :)

Regards
    Turgut

4. :clap: Nice big pede and there is some good pics. :clap:

5. krabbelspinne

krabbelspinne Arachnobaron

Ok, Turgut - you know what to do with this Otostigmus scaber at october 4th? :D

6. krabbelspinne

the second one might also be a Scolopendra spinosissima maybe...

7. MaueR

MaueR Arachnosquire

Poland
    S. spinosissma are living only on Java island (entemit). popably this is S. subspinipes.

8. krabbelspinne

@ mauer:

I don`t think, that they are only from Java island. According to chilobase, they come also from the Philippines - and I think, why not from whole Southeast Asian?

9. MaueR

MaueR Arachnosquire

Poland
    @ krabbelspinne

Oh! sorry! Mea culpa! S. spinosissima living on Philippines and Nergo island, not java :liar:

10. The Snark

The Snark Abby Normal Old Timer

Here
    The local kids out in the hills sometimes refer to these as 'Jep Daeng' or 'red pain. Obnoxious, aggressive and ubiquitous.