Centipede upside down in burrow?

Scrab

Arachnopeon
I bought my first centipede, a Scolopendra polymorpha, two months ago and for the past week it has been in its burrow upside down. I can only see it from the bottom of the tank so I can't see anything but it's back and that it wiggles a bit when I move the container. Also, she's curled up.

Any idea what it could possibly be doing down there? Could it be molting or guarding eggs?

Last edited:

NYAN

Arachnoking
I bought my first centipede, a Scolopendra polymorpha, two months ago and for the past week it has been in its burrow upside down. I can only see it from the bottom of the tank so I can't see anything but it's back and that it wiggles a bit when I move the container. Also, she's curled up.

Any idea what it could possibly be doing down there? Could it be molting or guarding eggs?
Upside down? That’s odd for a pede to do. The way they ‘guard’ their eggs is by coiling around them on their side almost. I suppose it could be doing any one of those things, or just being a strange antisocial centipede, which is perfectally normal. Best to just leave it alone, if it is on eggs you want to disturb her as little as possible or she may eat them.

Exoskelos

Arachnosquire
I've got a few dehaani I'm taking care of, and they like to do this too. They'll sit upside down in their burrow or under the bark, with just the antennae poking out. A feeder comes walking above it and POW, no more dubia. Scares the crap out of me when I lift up the bark for cleaning and one is hanging on underneath it, even though I use forceps to move stuff around.

NYAN

Arachnoking
My hainanum is always upside down under the cork bark. Never seen one of mine upside down underground though.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Curled up sounds a lot like eggs. There aren't many reasons why a centipede curls up. Try not to disturb her and they may hatch.