Centipede on eggs

NYAN

Arachnoking
Soooo today at repticon, I came across a vendor selling scolopendra viridis. A few of them happened to be on eggs. This to me is a first and I’m not sure if they were collected on eggs, laid all at the same time or what. Anyway, I bought one and by the time I got home she left the eggs to try to burrow. I’m keeping her in the deli cup I bought her in and as of now it looks like she might be reorganizing them. I poked some holes in the lid, took the feeder that was running around inside of the cup out and added something for her to hide under. My thoughts are if she goes back on them it’s 50/50 chance of them hatching. I want to know what you all think about this.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Leaving the eggs is rarely a good sign but you never know. The 'reorganizing' might have been her eating them, and feeders stress brooding mothers a lot. Just keep checking on her. Even if she does eat them next year she might lay again.

Out of curiosity is this western (browish) or eastern (blue/yellow) viridis?

NYAN

Arachnoking
Leaving the eggs is rarely a good sign but you never know. The 'reorganizing' might have been her eating them, and feeders stress brooding mothers a lot. Just keep checking on her. Even if she does eat them next year she might lay again.

Out of curiosity is this western (browish) or eastern (blue/yellow) viridis?
She ate half of them and left the rest.. it’s the Arizona/ western one, so brown?
And yeah, my thoughts exactly since they can retain sperm for a while! I’ll give her a proper enclosure and hope next time is better.

Scolopendra1989

Arachnosquire
Maybe it was not meant to be at this time, but what the others here have said is true: the feeders stress moms out, she may eat the eggs, but sperm retention could be strong enough for her to give you more eggs later on. Worst case scenario is she gets an extra meal out her eggies, best case is contingent upon her being comfortable enough to continue the brooding process. Good luck either way.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Although not long lived, S viridis is a fun species to keep.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
She ate half of them and left the rest.. it’s the Arizona/ western one, so brown?
And yeah, my thoughts exactly since they can retain sperm for a while! I’ll give her a proper enclosure and hope next time is better.
By "left the rest" do you mean she is clutching them or just abandoned them?