centipede lizard take-down

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was on the back porch and heard a loud rustling noise, walked around the corner, didn't see where it was coming from. Then it was behind me and realized it was coming from behind the siding on my house. Before I could find a stick to poke around behind the board, these two fell from behind the house siding onto the cement. That's the closest I've come to seeing a natural take-down of a lizard by one of these. It's a full grown Mediterranean gecko. That Scolopendra heros is just a young one, only about 4 inches. I was pretty impressed. Too bad the pics are out of fucus.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Impressive. I've always wanted to see wild 'pedes eat vertebrates, wish I lived somewhere this could happen on my porch!

NYAN

Arachnoking
god those are such beautiful Pedes! Truly amazing and every time I see one I wish mine wasn’t buried for 2 months.

Ran

Arachnoknight
Great Nat Geo pics Galapoheros! Scolopendra are one of the top predators in the food chain in the insect world for sure. In the early 90’s I had 3 S. gigantea that got so big they ignored adult hisses I offered for prey...maybe they got picky...:)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I ran in and grabbed my vid camera also but it wouldn't turn on. I figured out the vid camera works much better connected to a battery so I had to run inside to find the battery bag for the vid camera. I wasn't worried about the centipede running off somewhere. But it's nothing much different than the pics so no reason to load the vid. lol some baby adult humans would probably flag that vid on youtube anyway. btw I was watching the area and saw white flakes fall out from behind the siding, I guess it was dried paint, I don't know but that two little things could make all that noise, well I never would have thought so.