Centipede Help

BTsang

Arachnopeon
Hi all. New to the forum.

I've seen a centipede on a dealer's website that I think looks absolutely beautiful.

image.jpg
On the website its called a Scolopendra Spec "mint leg" from China. Never heard of them before.

Can anyone shed any info on them. How big do they get? Are they easy to look after? What humidity they prefer? etc. Any info will be appreciated.

Thank you.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Hi all. New to the forum.

I've seen a centipede on a dealer's website that I think looks absolutely beautiful.

View attachment 253656
On the website its called a Scolopendra Spec "mint leg" from China. Never heard of them before.

Can anyone shed any info on them. How big do they get? Are they easy to look after? What humidity they prefer? etc. Any info will be appreciated.

Thank you.
They're a bonny pede. Just find a care sheet on the scolopendra subspinipes and keep them the same.

The main thing you're looking for is an escape proof enclosure. Deep damp substrate, cork bark and a water bowl. Low-mid 70's. Springtails are fantastic on keeping away mites and mould that can come with damp sub.

BTsang

Arachnopeon
Thank you basin. I'll look into the subsinipes care sheet.

From your use of the word bonny, i assume your from the north of uk?

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
Careful Basin, they are a chinese species which means they need lower temps :)
20-22 C is good, otherwise they'll die! Also this is a very sensitive species that is more suitable for experienced keepers.
This species hasn't been described yet but will probably get some importance in the hobby as it is currently being captive reproduced (as far as I know 3 females are on eggs, the keeper has a group of 23)
It grows to around 20-25cm and is very quick. No info on the venom potency yet
Hope this helps :)

basin79

ArachnoGod
Careful Basin, they are a chinese species which means they need lower temps :)
20-22 C is good, otherwise they'll die! Also this is a very sensitive species that is more suitable for experienced keepers.
This species hasn't been described yet but will probably get some importance in the hobby as it is currently being captive reproduced (as far as I know 3 females are on eggs, the keeper has a group of 23)
It grows to around 20-25cm and is very quick. No info on the venom potency yet
Hope this helps :)
Not sure what's prompted the "be careful basin". Low to mid 70's is a fine temperature gradient.

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
Nothing agressive on my part mate, I didn't intend to sound rude or anything :)
I was saying that because subspinipes is considered to be fine at 30 celsius which is 90 f !
And that temperature would definitely kill the pede

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
I've got one of these and I keep it at room temperature. It is very jumpy and aggressive. Even taking too heavy of a step near its enclosure can trigger it to rear up and run around. It is an excellent eater due to its aggressiveness and will pursue any prey with frantic hunger. I cannot get it to eat fruit for a supplement however, something which every species I have loves.

Care is simple; pretty much what Basin said for temps, medium to high humidity, low light, crickets once a week or less. Size is a little under 7" although they possibly can get bigger.

I've seen one of these go for $650 in the U.S. and €450-189 on Polish and Czech sites... They are pretty pricey animals compared to classic S. dehaani.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Nothing agressive on my part mate, I didn't intend to sound rude or anything :)
I was saying that because subspinipes is considered to be fine at 30 celsius which is 90 f !
And that temperature would definitely kill the pede
You certainly didn't come across rude or aggressive. Just felt like an over exaggeration. Although I can now see where you where coming from.

We're all here to make sure pedes are treated right and looked after.

BTsang

Arachnopeon
So this pede is not recommended as first pede to get into the hobby?

From what I have read from care sheet as advised and from what LawnShrimp says they don't seem that hard to look after.

basin79

ArachnoGod

From what I have read from care sheet as advised and from what LawnShrimp says they don't seem that hard to look after.
Just make sure you have a deep (substrate depth + the full length of the pede + a few more inches) escape proof enclosure. I can't state the importance of that enough.

Personally I don't think you can beat RUB's or other plastic tubs with snap shut lids for pedes. Whilst they aren't clear like glass they don't have corners pedes can climb (they climb the silicone) and come in a variety of sizes.

Get the environment set up and the parameters right. Some 12"/30cm tongs for maintenance and you should be fine.

Just remember they are venomous and will bite.

I absolutely ruddy love pedes.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel

This was one of my first centipedes! I don't believe there is a best species to begin with as they all have fairly similar care. The price tag, color, and venom are the important variables here.

My mint legs is still with me now and has never given me trouble. In fact, its aggressive disposition has made it far more interesting than quieter, burrowing centipedes. Just be careful it doesn't escape- mints are prone to climbing. It is the only centipede I have that I have seem rear up to its full length to make an escape attempt.

BTsang

Arachnopeon
Thank you all for the helpful advice. I've gone ahead and ordered the pede. Should get it sometime next week.

Got my enclosure all set up, waiting for him

BTsang

Arachnopeon
Here he is, arrived this morning. Put him in his enclosure. After a couple of hours he came out under the cork bark and exploring around his new home, took that opportunity to give him a cricket.

Attachments

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Looks like mine! How high-strung is it? I blew on mine gently yesterday (a light breath, wouldn't have moved a feather) and he did a 360 and disappeared in 3 seconds. When he reappeared later I gave him a cricket, but the cricket hid in a burrow underneath his midsection so he couldn't find it. His antennae were whipping around and every time the cricket moved, he slammed into the sides of the enclosure, hard enough to hear. He finally curled around and caught it, but it was a true display of frantic hunger.

Unless you're like me and you want a forcipule-gnashing blue and maroon demon for a pet, I hope yours is calmer...

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
My rubripes was like that. Sometimes I wouldn't even realise I'd breathed on it, but it would suddenly start bolting around the enclosure, making surprisingly loud bangs on the glass.

BTsang

Arachnopeon
From the sound of things, mine is much calmer than yours. Hasn't left its cork bark all day, doesn't even react when I tap on the glass.

Here's another photo from yesterday

Attachments