Centipede Enclosure

Hercules Hernandez

Arachnosquire
Hi! I’ve been looking into keeping centipedes, mostly interested in the Scolopendra genus. I’ve kept heros and polymorpha before with great success in Kritter Keepers. Upon furthering my research, I found that though I may have had great success with them in the past, Kritter Keepers are not the best option for pedes. Thus, I would like your opinions on what the best centipede enclosures would be. I’m looking for something that allows me to do easy and quick maintenance, and provides for decent and clear observation of the pede when it is above ground and not using a hide, or burrowing along the side of the tank. Thanks in advance!

Wesley Smith

Arachnoknight
As I’m sure you’re aware, you need to size the habitat to the centipede. As long as you take that into consideration, and make sure it’s properly sized, I like glass aquariums with locking lids that can’t easily be chewed through. This being said, I keep my Scolopocryptops sexspinosus in what is essentially a tupaware container with a tight fitting lid that doesn’t even lock; but if you’re keeping anything that can cause extream pain or even kill you, I think you know you’ll want a locking lid.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Plastic tubs are the best in my opinion. For smaller individuals you can use deli cups also. Using a glass enclosure is more expensive and with the screen lids it allows for moisture to be lost. In addition to this it doesn’t lock like tubs do and the pede might be able to get out by pushing though the lid. There are many types of tubs that have clear or mostly clear materials also. If you get one, you can poke holes in it using a screwdriver or use a drill.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Kritter Keepers and screen lid tanks are too dry and leave room for escape. A plastic tub with vents drilled is always the best enclosure, and it is often cheaper, safer, and easier to find than glass tanks.