Centipede eating its molt

Typhon56

Arachnopeon
I just got home from work and i saw that my small centipede just molted! In the beggining, I saw that it was eating something but i couldnt see what. I couldnt see clearly because its very small. I opened the enclosure to have a better look, and i saw that it was eating its molt, but as soon as i opened the enclosure she left the molt, and moved a bit away. I have some questions. Will it continue eating its molt after leaving it??? It is important for centipedes to eat the whole molt???

Myron

Arachnopeon
I just got home from work and i saw that my small centipede just molted! In the beggining, I saw that it was eating something but i couldnt see what. I couldnt see clearly because its very small. I opened the enclosure to have a better look, and i saw that it was eating its molt, but as soon as i opened the enclosure she left the molt, and moved a bit away. I have some questions. Will it continue eating its molt after leaving it??? It is important for centipedes to eat the whole molt???
Iim new to centipedes, vut by checking out various websites:
Molting
Centipedes, like other arthropods, are the proud owners of exoskeletons. What this means is that to grow, they have to undergo a process known as molting. Molting is where the centipede will grow a new exoskeleton underneath the old one and when it is ready, shed (molt) the old exoskeleton. This is accomplished by a splitting of the cuticle (exoskeleton) on the sides of the dorsal plate on the head in front of the first segment (tergite) of the body (trunk) and then extracting itself through this opening in the old exoskeleton. One sign that your centipede is about to molt is a lack of appetite. Another is a sluggish or inactive centipede. There also may be changes in appearance such as a thick and waxy look to the sides of your centipede. You centipede may also seem to be growing a neck. What is meant by this is that the head will have a distended appearance from the trunk. You may see a gap between the head and the first tergite as well as between other tergites on the trunk. This is due to the forming exoskeleton stretching and displacing the old one. Centipedes in captivity will commonly turn around and eat their exuvia. This is most likely to regain some of the strength used in the molting process. This is important to you the keeper because a freshly molted centipede needs time for the exoskeleton to harden (sclerotise) before having prey introduced as it is vulnerable at this time. One sign of a freshly molted centipede is, of course, a noticeable increase in size. Another is a lighter colored centipede than you started with. The lighter color is due to the centipede having recently molted and will change back to the normal color as the exoskeleton sclerotises. If you believe that your centipede has molted, it is best to wait 5 to 10 days before introducing prey into the enclosure as to be sure that the centipede's exoskeleton has completely hardened. If you are able to retrieve your centipede's exuvia it will be compressed, much like an accordion, and you will have to stretch it out. If you are unlucky enough to purchase a centipede with it's fangs clipped, rest securely in the knowledge that they will regenerate with it's next molt.
-Arachnopets.com