Centipede books

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
I have an encyclopedic type book with information and pictures from all the butterfly species native to the southern U.S. and it's been a great help one of my friends or I need something ID'd. I was wondering if someone knew of a similar book for centipedes? I know centipedes aren't as popular as butterflies but I have a feeling a book like this would come in handy.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
For keeping centipedes in captivity, McMonigles book is the ultimate source.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Don't buy it. While it was great back then the info is now outdated ;)
"outdated", do you mean there is too much incorrect info, or the info is old? If only old info, it would be good for people getting interested, most info people learn is old info. I don't think there is anything else out there, is there?

RTTB

Arachnoprince
He’s an excellent author(Orin McMonigle) of many books and his INVERTEBRATES magazine is fantastic. Give him support. Perhaps he may have a new more updated centipede book in the works. For now though, his current book is The book on centipedes in captivity.

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
My whole point was that apparently, there's a lot of incorrect, old stuff in this book. I don't own it though. When I said not to buy it, it's not necessarily because it's a bad book, but because all of the knowledge it contains can be obtained, for instance, through us. And that's even without considering what wrong statements it might present. :)
Though, I'm sure that if you want a fast way of gaining info on, say, general care requirements, it's a great purchase. :)

Siphodemos

Arachnopeon
My whole point was that apparently, there's a lot of incorrect, old stuff in this book. I don't own it though. When I said not to buy it, it's not necessarily because it's a bad book, but because all of the knowledge it contains can be obtained, for instance, through us. And that's even without considering what wrong statements it might present. :)
Though, I'm sure that if you want a fast way of gaining info on, say, general care requirements, it's a great purchase. :)
What if we make our own book? I'm new to the forum, so i don't know if anyone already did it. Seriously, i think it would be great for all members.

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
It would, but it'd be very time consuming. And very expensive if we were to print it. May be worth a try though.

Salvador

Arachnosquire
Orins centipede book is a worthwhile thing to have for us centipede hobbyists. It's one of the few printed works on the subjects designed for the serious keeper, rather than pure biology/science (must be said though, the biology of centipedes is a great read too). I think the main errors of information is related to ID, rather than husbandry or breeding. So in terms of the OP, there could be a problem with that. A good book on the ID of centipedes would be a logistical nightmare I expect, even current info by some papers is wrong.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Orin's book is, so far, the best source of knowledge in one piece, and has a lot of basic information as well as a nice showcase of available species. However, some of the information is outdated, especially information on taxonomy and handling. The species list is fairly good and has pictures of most species/forms available to the hobby, but like I said is not terribly detailed or 100% accurate. If you are looking for a centipede field guide, that book is not the best for you, although there isn't anything else.

As far as identification, species lists, and very specific care, it's best just to ask it here.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
My whole point was that apparently, there's a lot of incorrect, old stuff in this book. I don't own it though.
The internet is a rough place.
There are two entirely different books. One is tiny, dated, stapled and published in 2003, it usually runs around $15:
https://www.amazon.com/Giant-Centipedes-Enthusiasts-Handbook-McMonigle/dp/0971912955
The other is a large, color hardcover published in 2014:
https://www.amazon.com/Centipedes-Captivity-Reproductive-Husbandry-Chilopoda/dp/1616462310

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
The second book is an awesome resource! I have read it several times and most of the information it it is correct. But it isn't exactly a field guide to centipedes.

To be fair, Arachnoboards doesn't even have a clue about the taxonomy of far too many species, and should anybody attempt to make such a field guide, the information would quickly become invalid as taxonomy is always changing. There are still dozens of morphs/species in South America and Asia that need to be scientifically described.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They wanted a book, it's a very good for book for the hobby. Yeah you can search around on the internet for info and find info that is in most books no matter what the book is about. So if you want a book, you won't be sorry reading things and thumbing through it. If you're getting into it and buy a taxonomy book at first, imo, booooooooring.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
It seems like the handful of really serious enthusiasts enjoy books and a good book can get them more excited about their hobby. It can be nice to have something physical and less distracting than the internet. Keep in mind these are hobbyist books and not glossy, fancy books by book store publishers where there is an actual demand and a staff of people paid wages. This is one enthusiast with some centipede-loving friends (woot woot Galo) helping to improve and add to the text and content. If you are expecting something fancy like the glossy books made in China for real publishers you will be disappointed. These are published in the US and the gloss would double the price.

Like Galopoheros says, you can always find all the information from any book on the web. I have published what I think was some really cool proprietary information in different magazine articles and chapters in texts over the years and somebody always takes the info and puts it on the net. Sometimes they are really thoughtful and quote where they got it but most change a few words or adjectives and claim it as their own. There is even a somewhat popular kindle book with nearly all the paragraphs copied from one of my books with a few words changed and some sections dropped. I did feel a little violated but it's not like they stole my livelihood and it promotes the hobby. Trying to make a good book is just a usually very fun part of my hobby.

Last edited:

Dovey

Arachnobaron
It seems like the handful of really serious enthusiasts enjoy books and a good book can get them more excited about their hobby. It can be nice to have something physical and less distracting than the internet. Keep in mind these are hobbyist books and not glossy, fancy books by book store publishers where there is an actual demand and a staff of people paid wages. This is one enthusiast with some centipede-loving friends (woot woot Galo) helping to improve and add to the text and content. If you are expecting something fancy like the glossy books made in China for real publishers you will be disappointed. These are published in the US and the gloss would double the price.

Like Galopoheros says, you can always find all the information from any book on the web. I have published what I think was some really cool proprietary information in different magazine articles and chapters in texts over the years and somebody always takes the info and puts it on the net. Sometimes they are really thoughtful and quote where they got it but most change a few words or adjectives and claim it as their own. There is even a somewhat popular kindle book with nearly all the paragraphs copied from one of my books with a few words changed and some sections dropped. I did feel a little violated but it's not like they stole my livelihood and it promotes the hobby. Trying to make a good book is just a usually very fun part of my hobby.
I think you need to be very careful about protecting your intellectual property. When you do that, you do it for each and every scholar and writer, not just yourself. No, you don't have to sue everybody who plagerizes your work, but it doesn't hurt to raise the issue with them and politely ask for the proper citations. That's how people learn. Think of it as a teachable moment.