Celebrating a personal milestone

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello, fellow T keepers !

I haven't posted in a long time, so I guess a quick introduction would be in order. I'm simply one of many Canadian tarantula keepers. I've been mystified by them since I was a child and read about them in an old book back in primary school. I was probably 6-7 years old then.

Fast forward 24-25 years later. I finally decide to buy my very first tarantula, a simple G. porteri (then rosea) in March 25th 2009. Making a number of newbie mistakes during my first few months, I quickly learnt to take it easy and enjoy the show. Stan's 3rd edition of the TKG was my guide at the time. It served me well thus far.

Today marks 10 years of (mostly) successful tarantula keeping. Only one casualty, a mystery WC Aphonopelma that likely went out due to old age. While I might have been keeping them for a decade, I am in no way an expert of any sort on the matter. The reason is simple : I quickly found my preferences and stuck with it : Mainly the Brachypelma genus. So now, I've been keeping a B. boehmei, B. hamorii, B. albopilosum and a G. porteri. All females, how about that, huh ?

Watching my B. boehmei grow from a 1.5" juvie to the marvelous 6" adult was quite the experience. Unlike many people, I don't have the urge to obtain more Ts. Mostly because I don't have more space… and I'm perfectly content with just these 4. Feeding time is always entertaining. I can easily spend a couple hours just watching them hunt and devour their crickets/superworms. Also, I should note that I never felt the need to handle any of my Ts. Any transfer I've done have always been made using a soft paintbrush and a small kritter keeper to move them from cage to cage.

Do I have future plans for my journey in this hobby ? Sure do ! I would love to raise a B. klaasi from sling to adult. For the time being, that is my dream tarantula to own and work with.

Here's to the next 10 years of T keeping !

Thanks for reading :)

-LucN

Last edited:

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How many years did it take for your albopilosum and Boehner to grow to sub-adult/adult?
The albopilosum is an interesting story. It was a freebie when I ordered some Ts for a friend from TarCan way back in Fall 2010, just before Amanda had her twins. It was a 1/4" sling then. Eventually, that friend got tired of them (The albopilosum, a A. geniculata and a G. porteri) and they were dropped at the local pet shop. The porteri was already gone when I recognized the animals. The geniculata ended up as a mature male and died soon after. I was able to take the albo with me, free of charge. A quick visual inspection confirmed that she was female. At around 3.5" at the time, it was easy to spot. Now, 9 years later, I'd say it's at least 5 to 5.5". The boehmei was 1.5" back in early 2010 when I first bought her. Her last molt was in September of last year, and she had gained quite a bit of size and thickness. So, 8 years at the very least.

Nice reading! Thank you!
You're welcome ! Glad you enjoyed it ! I hope I'll be a bit more active on here following my milestone. One thing is certain, while my collection is stalled because of space issues, my fascination for these amazing animals is never-ending. I'd say it replenishes every time I feed them or catch them grooming/walking/drinking. ;)

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thank you for sharing your journey... it made me smile!