Caught a baby camel spiderling in my kitchen...

Wolf135

Arachnoknight
So I'm standing there making some rice, then outta nowhere a baby camel spider comes out from behind the stove, so I grab an empty sling vial and get him to go in, then he instantly goes to the bottom and stays there.

I'm not usually for keeping wild animals, but considering his age and how many predators live out in my yard I'm contemplating keeping him since these things are pretty rare (last time I saw one was 2011) and I wouldn't want a beautiful creature like him to die out there.

So does anyone have experience keeping these guys?

I do own quite a bit of Ts and breed red runners so I would assume I have what it takes to keep him healthy.

He's about 1/4 of an inch long.

Last edited:

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter

that1ocelot

Arachnoknight
The thread @Wolfram1 posted is probably the best and only real resource for keeping these animals.

There are others I'm sure, but the thread is likely the best. They do seem tough to keep, and it likely will do better on its own...but you could give it a shot

Centipedism

Arachnosquire
solfugids have a tendency to die for seemingly no reason in captivity, with a few very experienced and dedicated keepers nonetheless having success. I managed to keep a female alive for about six months, then it kicked the bucket and I still don't really know why. for husbandry tips i'd find a way to get in touch with one of the experts

Wolf135

Arachnoknight
The thread @Wolfram1 posted is probably the best and only real resource for keeping these animals.

There are others I'm sure, but the thread is likely the best. They do seem tough to keep, and it likely will do better on its own...but you could give it a shot
solfugids have a tendency to die for seemingly no reason in captivity, with a few very experienced and dedicated keepers nonetheless having success. I managed to keep a female alive for about six months, then it kicked the bucket and I still don't really know why. for husbandry tips i'd find a way to get in touch with one of the experts
It seems to be doing good so far, I got it to eat a red runner and meal worm.