Cat obsessed with b hamorii?

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
One of my cats has finally noticed my new T and is currently obsessed with sitting on top of the enclosure and staring at her. The cat can’t get in and she hasn’t been scratching at the screen at all but i’m worried this could be stressing the T...though, i’m not sure she can even tell that the cat is there.

I was thinking about moving the enclosure onto a shelf in my closet where the cat can’t get to it. I’d of course, leave the door to the closet open (closet doesn’t have a light...not sure if that matters at all) — I’m hoping my other two cats don’t notice her...BUT, yeah. Any advice?

baconwrappedpikachu

Arachnosquire
Luckily my cats are pretty laid back and haven't taken much notice of any of my tarantulas or reptiles. At our house the home office serves as the invert room, and I keep the door closed when we aren't in there. I would suggest getting a plexiglass piece (with plenty of ventilation) that you could replace the screen with. I've heard tons of horror stories about cats breaking the screen by accident when they sit on it.

If I were you I would move the T to a shelf (or somewhere) that the cats can't access it. It would be fine in the closet for the time being while you figure out what you wanna do long-term. And it might be fine in the closet long term, I think I've seen several other keepers use a closet to house their collections! But it would definitely be fine for now; I kept a scorpion in the linen cabinet above my master bathroom toilet because I wanted to quarantine it (found it outside) without leaving it somewhere the cats could possibly find it.

For me, it's as easy as putting some other things on the shelf and the cats won't jump up there if they don't see enough space to land. I just saw someone who bought some cabinets with glass/clear doors and he put all of his collection in there. But if you only have the one tarantula, you could probably find another solution.

But I would definitely try to get rid of the screen if there's any chance the cats can sit on top of it. From what I have seen the possibility of them breaking it and harming the tarantula - or getting harmed themselves (those hairs are no joke) - is a pretty big risk.

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
Luckily my cats are pretty laid back and haven't taken much notice of any of my tarantulas or reptiles. At our house the home office serves as the invert room, and I keep the door closed when we aren't in there. I would suggest getting a plexiglass piece (with plenty of ventilation) that you could replace the screen with. I've heard tons of horror stories about cats breaking the screen by accident when they sit on it.

If I were you I would move the T to a shelf (or somewhere) that the cats can't access it. For me, it's as easy as putting some other things on the shelf and the cats won't jump up there if they don't see enough space to land. I just saw someone who bought some cabinets with glass/clear doors and he put all of his collection in there. But if you only have the one tarantula, you could probably find another solution.

But I would definitely try to get rid of the screen if there's any chance the cats can sit on top of it. From what I have seen the possibility of them breaking it and harming the tarantula - or getting harmed themselves (those hairs are no joke) - is a pretty big risk.
Thanks for the reply! The cat has been jumping from my bedside table to the shelf the enclosure is currently resting on. I also didn’t think about the T throwing hairs!

I have two slings as well, but the cats have no idea they exist lol I think i’ll try to rearrange things so the cat can’t jump on top and if that doesn’t work, i’ll have to move the whole enclosure. (I really don’t want to, because she looks great where she is but I guess it’s not worth risking her safety)

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I've read too many horror stories about cats knocking enclosures onto the floor to recommend anything but getting that enclosure somewhere safe ASAP.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If the cat is sitting on it, you should definitely either replace the screen with something more substantial - like acrylic/plexiglass - or put the cage somewhere that the cat can't get to it.

Cats are capable of breaking through the screen, either intentionally or by accident. It is not meant to support weight - even the weight of something small like a cat. I currently keep all of my inverts in a closed room in my house, but at my old house, they used to be on a bookshelf in the study - and the door was sometimes left open, giving the cats access. My little Siamese was obsessed with my Scolopendra subspinipes and spent a lot of time sitting on top of its cage - and the screen shows it! It now sags considerably in the middle, though fortunately neither the screen nor the spline that holds it in place gave out - and as soon as I realized what was happening, I put a stop to kitty's centipede watching by finding a less-accessible spot for the cage.

It's really best if you can just put the cage somewhere that the cat can't get to it. There's always the risk of the cat knocking over the cage, no matter how solid and heavy it seems. Cats are very good at knocking things over - especially if they take a running start or leap! One year my cats took down an entire Christmas tree all by themselves.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Okay, she’s on one of my closet shelves for now? Look alright?[
Well... if the cat can't get to the closet shelf, then that part of the problem is taken care of! But you might want to add a little more substrate. The distance from the top of the substrate to the top of the tank should be no more than 1.5 times the tarantula's diagonal leg span - and it looks like you've got a bit more height than that, particularly at the one end. Even though your spider is terrestrial, it can and will climb the glass and hang from the top. This is also where the screen can be problematic, because tarantulas can get their tarsal claws stuck in the screen, which can result in falls and lost limbs. Acrylic with drilled air holes is better because the spider is less likely to get anything stuck in it. Also, a fall from more than 1.5 DLS can be fatal - especially if they fall on something hard, sharp, or jagged. (Is that a big chunk of rock or fake rock/ceramic hide in there, next to the half-log? If so, that's exactly the kind of hard surface you don't want your T falling on!)

For my heavy-bodied spiders, in particular, I like to have it where even if they were to hang from the ceiling, they can still touch the substrate, just to be on the safe side.

baconwrappedpikachu

Arachnosquire
Okay, she’s on one of my closet shelves for now? Look alright?
Yep, if that shelf is in the closet where the cats can't get to it, looks good to me with the stipulation that I would replace the screen with plexiglass/acrylic regardless of cats. Screen tops are a risk for tarantulas, especially terrestrials, who can get their little feet stuck in them and injure themselves trying to get free. Plenty of people will swear they've done it for years with no problem but that doesn't mean it's not a risk, and I feel that it's a completely unnecessary risk to take as keepers when we can easily get a piece of ventilated plastic or glass to replace it.

I would definitely keep the closet door shut when you aren't around and maybe put a few books/boxes on the shelf next to the enclosure for the time being, to further discourage any feline climbing and exploration. :angelic:

If you think your collection will keep growing (sounds like it might since you have a couple other slings as well) it might actually be a good idea to look at cabinets with glass/plexiglass doors so you could keep the Ts on display while also keeping them safe from the cats!

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
Well... if the cat can't get to the closet shelf, then that part of the problem is taken care of! But you might want to add a little more substrate. The distance from the top of the substrate to the top of the tank should be no more than 1.5 times the tarantula's diagonal leg span - and it looks like you've got a bit more height than that, particularly at the one end. Even though your spider is terrestrial, it can and will climb the glass and hang from the top. This is also where the screen can be problematic, because tarantulas can get their tarsal claws stuck in the screen, which can result in falls and lost limbs. Acrylic with drilled air holes is better because the spider is less likely to get anything stuck in it. Also, a fall from more than 1.5 DLS can be fatal - especially if they fall on something hard, sharp, or jagged. (Is that a big chunk of rock or fake rock/ceramic hide in there, next to the half-log? If so, that's exactly the kind of hard surface you don't want your T falling on!)

For my heavy-bodied spiders, in particular, I like to have it where even if they were to hang from the ceiling, they can still touch the substrate, just to be on the safe side.
Thank you for the advice! I’ll take her out and rearrange the enclosure a bit. Add more substrate etc.

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
Yep, if that shelf is in the closet where the cats can't get to it, looks good to me with the stipulation that I would replace the screen with plexiglass/acrylic regardless of cats. Screen tops are a risk for tarantulas, especially terrestrials, who can get their little feet stuck in them and injure themselves trying to get free. Plenty of people will swear they've done it for years with no problem but that doesn't mean it's not a risk, and I feel that it's a completely unnecessary risk to take as keepers when we can easily get a piece of ventilated plastic or glass to replace it.

I would definitely keep the closet door shut when you aren't around and maybe put a few books/boxes on the shelf next to the enclosure for the time being, to further discourage any feline climbing and exploration. :angelic:

If you think your collection will keep growing (sounds like it might since you have a couple other slings as well) it might actually be a good idea to look at cabinets with glass/plexiglass doors so you could keep the Ts on display while also keeping them safe from the cats!
Great suggestions. I don’t know if i’ll be able to get a fancy cabinet anytime soon but eventually lol i’ll figure out a better lid ASAP though.

baconwrappedpikachu

Arachnosquire
Great suggestions. I don’t know if i’ll be able to get a fancy cabinet anytime soon but eventually lol i’ll figure out a better lid ASAP though.
Lol! Oh, I totally understand. Sounds like you have plenty of time while they grow up to decide how you'd like to display them! I just saw a few posted in some of my other groups that looked really cool.

Good luck! Feel free to post updates for us!

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I put some plants in a 5 gallon aquarium to get them growing and my cats had that screen broken within a couple of days. If your cat has access to this tank, it is still not safe. Put something on top of it, so the cat cannot get onto the screen, or replace the screen with something more durable.

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
I put some plants in a 5 gallon aquarium to get them growing and my cats had that screen broken within a couple of days. If your cat has access to this tank, it is still not safe. Put something on top of it, so the cat cannot get onto the screen, or replace the screen with something more durable.
Will there be enough air/ventilation if I cover the holes of the screen, though?

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
...So, I added a good bit more substrate and rearranged things to make it safer for her. She’s out of sight on the closet shelf and my cat is VERY upset lmao

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
I have a very destructive cat. So I can certainly relate to the pains of keeping fragile things living with a furry beast who can find her way into just about anything.

If you’re dead set on leaving the T on that closet shelf, that’s probably ok. I see a lot of space next to it, though. So I would place a bunch of random items there to discourage the cat from jumping up there to bug your T. But if you want to display your T, there is a thing I’ve seen at a japanese store called Daiso (not sure if you have any Daiso stores in your area). But basically, it’s a plastic mesh that has plastic protrusions all over it that create a spiky surface. It’s designed to keep stray cats off your lawn. But it also works on pretty much every surface that needs a bit of cat control. Try that, if you can find a Daiso location or manage to find a similar product online.

You might also try placing a few strips of scotch tape sticky side up on the enclosure. Some cats absolutely hate getting things stuck to their paws. When they pick up a strip, they’ll freak out. So over time, your cat might get conditioned to not like that surface. It didn’t work for mine, but it’s worth a shot for yours.

Either way you go, you may want to invest in some earthquake putty if you have cats. It’s basically a sticky putty that helps stabilize fragile items so they won’t get knocked over so easily. The beauty of this stuff is you can’t see it, but it’s also not a permanent adhesive. With a simple twist, you can pick up any item that you’ve used the putty on. And you can re-work it and use it over and over, as long as it doesn’t get too dirty. I use it on T enclosures and potted plants. I also have to push wooden skewers into the soil in my plants to keep her from digging it all out. It’s a constant battle with this cat, I tell you!!

Good luck!

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
I have a very destructive cat. So I can certainly relate to the pains of keeping fragile things living with a furry beast who can find her way into just about anything.

If you’re dead set on leaving the T on that closet shelf, that’s probably ok. I see a lot of space next to it, though. So I would place a bunch of random items there to discourage the cat from jumping up there to bug your T. But if you want to display your T, there is a thing I’ve seen at a japanese store called Daiso (not sure if you have any Daiso stores in your area). But basically, it’s a plastic mesh that has plastic protrusions all over it that create a spiky surface. It’s designed to keep stray cats off your lawn. But it also works on pretty much every surface that needs a bit of cat control. Try that, if you can find a Daiso location or manage to find a similar product online.

You might also try placing a few strips of scotch tape sticky side up on the enclosure. Some cats absolutely hate getting things stuck to their paws. When they pick up a strip, they’ll freak out. So over time, your cat might get conditioned to not like that surface. It didn’t work for mine, but it’s worth a shot for yours.

Either way you go, you may want to invest in some earthquake putty if you have cats. It’s basically a sticky putty that helps stabilize fragile items so they won’t get knocked over so easily. The beauty of this stuff is you can’t see it, but it’s also not a permanent adhesive. With a simple twist, you can pick up any item that you’ve used the putty on. And you can re-work it and use it over and over, as long as it doesn’t get too dirty. I use it on T enclosures and potted plants. I also have to push wooden skewers into the soil in my plants to keep her from digging it all out. It’s a constant battle with this cat, I tell you!!

Good luck!
Great ideas! I have heard of Daiso but I’ll look into it. I really want to find a safe way to display her though because I barely see my slings.

(Cats are adorable little monsters and I have 3 lol)

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I'm lucky that my cat pretty much ignores all my inverts but there was one incident that I won't forget. My cat decided she liked sitting my Scolopendra heros arizonensis cage and since she only weights 5 lbs. I knew she wouldn't cave in the lid so I didn't think it would be a problem. That was until one day I heard her retch and turned to see her vomit directly into the cage. Fortunately the pede was buried in the substrate but the vomit was sinking in fast so I grabbed a 16 oz deli cup and started scooping out the vomit. As I was doing that the pede's head suddenly shot up out of the substrate, narrowly missing tagging me on the finger. Needless to say my cat was banned from sitting on the cage anymore.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Look for a small, used, bookcase online (the Ikea ones are usually cheap and easy to find), get a couple of pieces of thin acrylic cut to size to fit on the front and attach them with some velcro. It's easy, inexpensive and effective. If you want to have it more elaborate, then you can attach the acrylic with proper hinges to make doors.
You can see them, the cats can see them, and everyone is kept safe.
_DSC6574-2-2.jpg

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
I'm lucky that my cat pretty much ignores all my inverts but there was one incident that I won't forget. My cat decided she liked sitting my Scolopendra heros arizonensis cage and since she only weights 5 lbs. I knew she wouldn't cave in the lid so I didn't think it would be a problem. That was until one day I heard her retch and turned to see her vomit directly into the cage. Fortunately the pede was buried in the substrate but the vomit was sinking in fast so I grabbed a 16 oz deli cup and started scooping out the vomit. As I was doing that the pede's head suddenly shot up out of the substrate, narrowly missing tagging me on the finger. Needless to say my cat was banned from sitting on the cage anymore.
Sorry, but I had to laugh!

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
Look for a small, used, bookcase online (the Ikea ones are usually cheap and easy to find), get a couple of pieces of thin acrylic cut to size to fit on the front and attach them with some velcro. It's easy, inexpensive and effective. If you want to have it more elaborate, then you can attach the acrylic with proper hinges to make doors.
You can see them, the cats can see them, and everyone is kept safe.
View attachment 307661
Sounds awesome and seems cheap enough. The pic of that cat looking at the enclosure is pretty hilarious too