Carolina wolf. Hogna carolinensis

DixonCyder

Arachnosquire
20190107_063258.jpg 20190107_063244.jpg

I catch these so the time at work... We grow then big around here. I have one 7 legged with eggs and the one seen in the photo.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Ah, Hogna carolinensis. Are you sure that's the right ID? Very nice addition and setup. Although I've never used perlite in my substrate.

DixonCyder

Arachnosquire
Ah, Hogna carolinensis. Very nice addition and setup. Although I've never used perlite in my substrate.
I grow live plants in most my setups. It's just a small amount of potting soil mixed in. Not sure if anything in it is unhealthy so I don't use very much.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Also, remove the sponge from the water dish. Fill the dish to the top with water.

DixonCyder

Arachnosquire
Ah, Hogna carolinensis. Are you sure that's the right ID? Very nice addition and setup. Although I've never used perlite in my substrate.
Did my reply not post? Sorry if this is repeat. I use a small amount because I grow plants in their enclosures.

DixonCyder

Arachnosquire
Did my reply not post? Sorry if this is repeat. I use a small amount because I grow plants in their enclosures.
I'm not sure... It's my best guess... It's not domestic here. ... A breeding population arrived in our deliveries last summer...
Lol... As I'm typing this... I find another monster in my path... I'll post a top down pic soon... You tell me.

That's my finger in the pictures for a size reference.

One more

Also, remove the sponge from the water dish. Fill the dish to the top with water.
Dish is full, cotton ball is to keep crickets from drowning in it... Is there a reason to remove it? Does it effect the spider?

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

DixonCyder

Arachnosquire
Usually sponges harbor bacteria and mold etc.
It's changed twice a week. I have to stay on mold patrol... Using live plants... ... See, tiny fern.

I'm not sure... It's my best guess... It's not domestic here. ... A breeding population arrived in our deliveries last summer...
Lol... As I'm typing this... I find another monster in my path... I'll post a top down pic soon... You tell me.
Some have more grey than brown... If I'm wrong on ID... I'd appreciate correction.

Attachments

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
In your first pic and fern pic it strikes me more as Tigrosa than Hogna. The top down pic is definitely Tigrosa (I use the line on the top of the cephalothorax for that, though other genera can have it too). Most recent pic (more grey than brown) looks good for Hogna. Hogna and Tigrosa are both native to Iowa, so they're certainly domestics.

Unrelated, but Calvin and Hobbes is awesome :)

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Add a small stone to your water dish to keep feeders from drowning.

DixonCyder

Arachnosquire
In your first pic and fern pic it strikes me more as Tigrosa than Hogna. The top down pic is definitely Tigrosa (I use the line on the top of the cephalothorax for that, though other genera can have it too). Most recent pic (more grey than brown) looks good for Hogna. Hogna and Tigrosa are both native to Iowa, so they're certainly domestics.

Unrelated, but Calvin and Hobbes is awesome :)
Thanks. The one with the fern is my brown one, she is the wolf spider I'm used to seeing, she's currently not appearing for photos as she's become skittish with eggs on board. I took her in. But I'm new to Des Moines. I'm from eastern Iowa. I'm not used to seeing the grey ones. The one with the black rocks in her enclosure is my grey. Named Shelob. lolz.
All these photos, aren't spiders I keep. I see them at work quite regularly. I handle the fishing spiders, jumping spiders that will let me (when it's chilly out, they like my warm hand), and these wolves. I don't like them squished, so I'm usually removing them from inside buildings at work. I actually get to interact with a lot of interesting wildlife. I got some good photos.
Two have, came home because I had the space, and they weren't having their best day. The brown just lost a leg that was stuck in a door, I actually found her stuck in a web. The grey, came out of wintering on warm day, to find that no other bugs did, and was on her way to freezing out in the open when I found her in the evening. And I had an extra tank, so, there we go. She's really aggressive, I'm going to feed her more and see if she goes for it.
Snakes are really my expertise. So thanks for help with ID's.
Yeah, that's a neat collection of books you saw there. Thanks.
The creature on the floor photo-bombing, I believe to be a Hognus Furrinesscatness... if you noticed it as well.

Add a small stone to your water dish to keep feeders from drowning.
good idea... Thanks.

DixonCyder

Arachnosquire
Hey... Of course you can... They are plentiful here. I'm not interested in selling them. You can have one.
You're welcome to help with shipping though.
Are you looking for one of the babies, if and when they hatch? Or an adult?

Do me a favor... Send me an email with a phone number for you... As I don't know how long it will be before I get hatchlings, and we are in the middle of winter right now. It will be easier for me to get back with you, if I save you in my phone.
I don't want you, or I to post phone numbers on this open thread.

Also, check with your customs, and make sure this isn't an issue. I don't want to send them to their deaths-in-a-tiny-bottle, because they got stuck at customs. I will send more than one to ensure survival. I also cannot guarantee sex, with little ones, but I'll certainly give it a shot. Males don't necessarily have as short as a life span as you read. ... They have a high mortality rate due to breeding. I've caught some laaaarge males, that tell me they can probably live as long as the females, if wily enough.
emilyhofland@gmail.com

Last edited:

eeeekkk

Arachnopeon
I own a couple of Australian wolf spiders. I really do quite like spiders from the lycosidae family. Especially their eyes. Such a cool and unique species.

DixonCyder

Arachnosquire
I'm curious... My smaller spider, aborted her egg sack. It wasn't doing well.
But after that, she has been gorging and climbing. Both are unusual for her. So greedy, I'm pretty sure she took a cricket off my finger. It happened fast, so I'm not positive. But the cricket did this trick, and next, she had it. I've held her a lot, maybe she's just not scared of me. But she's eating as much as I give her. Look how fat that ass is!?! Look, if she's not molting I'm going to have to put her to work, with all that going on back there.
Is this a sign of a molt?

My other, eggsack is looking great. I started her tank out with a burrow I started for her. Since her eggsack, a cricket got in there, and seemed to visible piss her off. Since then, she has been digging out the back, and moving it to the front, blocking the entrance. And filling up the inside with web... This has been fun to watch. They work so hard!

I own a couple of Australian wolf spiders. I really do quite like spiders from the lycosidae family. Especially their eyes. Such a cool and unique species.
Pictures? I've never seen one of yours.
C'Mon, show me yours, and I'll show you mine.

Yeah, this is a larger species of Tigrosa. Lot darker, thicker body, usually a tigrosa.
Thanks

Attachments

eeeekkk

Arachnopeon
Pictures? I've never seen one of yours.
C'Mon, show me yours, and I'll show you mine.
I hope to eventually the laptop I'm using takes terrible pictures so I hope to get a decent camera working that actually sinks to my laptop effectively