Caring For a Aphonopelma Sling

Slicercrush

Arachnopeon
Hi Guys!

Not too long ago, about maybe 3-4 months, I came into ownership of a Pink Toed T (Avicularia Avicularia), and had a great time with it. It was certainly a little more work than most beginner species, but so far watching it live and grow has been an amazing experience. Though, as I learned with ball pythons, once you want one, you always wanna get another.

So, of course, I just HAD to buy the Mexican Blonde sling (about a half inch) I saw on the counter on my way out.

Ive been doing a decent deal of research on slings so far, and they don't seem to be too hard to care for. Of course, I have noticed that this species can take a fair amount of time to grow, but other than that I havent noticed much I cant handle.

I do have a few questions even after my research, though.

1) How should I provide water for this T? Some sites say for slings you need to just moisten the substrate, while some of the breeders there told me to use a small waterbottle cap full of water as a dish.

2) Airflow. This T was sold to me in a relatively low airflow type of jar (probably gonna need to add some tiny airholes, in all honesty.), and I was wondering if they would require more airflow?

3) Feeding. The guy at the expo said that I should feed them small crickets, but I wasnt sure if one this small would be able to take down a "Small" cricket, though I havent gotten to look at the ones that I can get in the area tonight. Along with this, how often should I be feeding a small sling?

Any other advice or specialties for the species would be wonderful, Im really looking forwards to raising this T!

Ian Brush

Arachnopeon
1) Your sling will get enough water from the food it eats and the condensation in and around it's enclosure and substrate so keep it somewhat humid for it but don't drown it.

2) Try to get cross ventilation in the slings enclosure for the best results but as little as 3 or 4 air holes will do.

3) Slings are actually scavengers and will eat both living and dead organisms so if you are having trouble feeding it living prey, don't be afraid to kill the crickets and put them in there with it. Even adult cricket parts will be eaten if the sling is hungry.

Extra advice for keeping smaller terrestrial slings is to trust them. If they cover themselves up or hide away for extended periods of time, just trust them. They know what they are doing and will be okay.

StormyMyth729

Arachnosquire
1) Your sling will get enough water from the food it eats and the condensation in and around it's enclosure and substrate so keep it somewhat humid for it but don't drown it.

2) Try to get cross ventilation in the slings enclosure for the best results but as little as 3 or 4 air holes will do.

3) Slings are actually scavengers and will eat both living and dead organisms so if you are having trouble feeding it living prey, don't be afraid to kill the crickets and put them in there with it. Even adult cricket parts will be eaten if the sling is hungry.

Extra advice for keeping smaller terrestrial slings is to trust them. If they cover themselves up or hide away for extended periods of time, just trust them. They know what they are doing and will be okay.
I got a G.Pulchra sling 2 weeks ago and as soon as I rehoused (into a softball display case enclosure) he immediately buried himself and closed off his hide...after being worried for a couple of days I've read enough posts from people like yourself that say "they know what they're doing"...and I'm not too concerned about him now. I check on him daily..can see into his little burrow through the side and I've figured he's just in premolt and it's still fascinating :)

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
A tarantula enclosure should *never* have condensation, and especially not an Aphonopelma. Condensation means way too much moisture and way too little ventilation.

To the OP, you can either provide a small waterdish if your set up allows or you can dribble some water onto part of the sub.

Slicercrush

Arachnopeon
A tarantula enclosure should *never* have condensation, and especially not an Aphonopelma. Condensation means way too much moisture and way too little ventilation.

To the OP, you can either provide a small waterdish if your set up allows or you can dribble some water onto part of the sub.
I just did some "Upgrades" to the jar I bought him in, for the time being until his small enclosure from Jamies Tarantulas comes in (I know he probably wouldve been fine in this one but I kinda wanted him to look fancy).
- I replaced the substrate with fresh eco-earth due to there being a decent quantity of mold when I bought him on his current substrate
- I opened upa bottle of spring water and used the cap as a water dish, and some of the water to fill it
- I also sprayed the top of the soil lightly to moisten it up a tiny bit, as well as dig 2 or 3 "Divits" in with a pencil. I filled all but one of these with water to allow there to be moist, under substrate and a drier top layer. The final one im hoping it can use as a start for a burrow in the time being.
- Lastly, I used a pushpin to put tiny holes around the sides of the container for ventilation.

After everything has sort of dried out from the initial sprays, doesnt seem to be any condensation on the sides. From what I read in the past I was told to avoid this, and tried to not keep any on there. More than happy witht he amount of ventilation he will get. Hes sort of unhappily on the side, though im sure he's mainly stressed from being transferred around while I replaced everything.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
1. Mold is not an issue.

2. You should not have added that much water to the sub.

3. He is hanging out on the sides because the sub is too wet.

Slicercrush

Arachnopeon
1. Mold is not an issue.

2. You should not have added that much water to the sub.

3. He is hanging out on the sides because the sub is too wet.
Should I be re-replacing his substrate? It doesnt feel very wet, mostly just slightly moist, and I think it should dry out in a few hours?

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Should I be re-replacing his substrate? It doesnt feel very wet, mostly just slightly moist, and I think it should dry out in a few hours?
If it dries out soon, it should be fine. A photo would be good.

Slicercrush

Arachnopeon
If it dries out soon, it should be fine. A photo would be good.
These are some photos. From what it looks like, other than where the "divits" were made, theres only about maybe an eighth of an inch of "moist" substrate on top. Also included a photo of the little bugger in question.

Attachments

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I would add more substrate so the sling can burrow more and not climb so high. But that's just me. All my Aphonopelma slings burrow extensively.

Slicercrush

Arachnopeon
I would add more substrate so the sling can burrow more and not climb so high. But that's just me. All my Aphonopelma slings burrow extensively.
Planning to add more once the new enclosure comes in in a few days, but just kept it as such for now since that was about as much as he had when he came into my ownership (actually, I think theres more in there than before). Thank you for the help!

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Personally, I'd house it in something much smaller. Even Jamie's sling enclosure will be too big IMO. Get yourself a 2 oz condiment cup, make vent holes with a safety pin (for example) on the sides and the top and then moisten about 1/3 to 1/2 of the substrate. If it fits you can add a tiny water dish.

For feeding, you can use chopped up mealworms. That's the easiest and safest way to feed your T. It'll happily scavenge away. ;)

Last edited:

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is Aphonopelma chalcodes we’re talking about? And you have a 1/2” spiderling? The first thing I would suggest is that you buy a rocking chair. So that you can truly enjoy it as an adult tarantula during your golden years!

Slicercrush

Arachnopeon
This is Aphonopelma chalcodes we’re talking about? And you have a 1/2” spiderling? The first thing I would suggest is that you buy a rocking chair. So that you can truly enjoy it as an adult tarantula during your golden years!
Yea, realised that only a bit after I managed to get it. I dont mind watching it grow for so long, but it will certainly be a long term project.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi Guys!

Not too long ago, about maybe 3-4 months, I came into ownership of a Pink Toed T (Avicularia Avicularia), and had a great time with it. It was certainly a little more work than most beginner species, but so far watching it live and grow has been an amazing experience. Though, as I learned with ball pythons, once you want one, you always wanna get another.

So, of course, I just HAD to buy the Mexican Blonde sling (about a half inch) I saw on the counter on my way out.

Ive been doing a decent deal of research on slings so far, and they don't seem to be too hard to care for. Of course, I have noticed that this species can take a fair amount of time to grow, but other than that I havent noticed much I cant handle.

I do have a few questions even after my research, though.

1) How should I provide water for this T? Some sites say for slings you need to just moisten the substrate, while some of the breeders there told me to use a small waterbottle cap full of water as a dish.

2) Airflow. This T was sold to me in a relatively low airflow type of jar (probably gonna need to add some tiny airholes, in all honesty.), and I was wondering if they would require more airflow?

3) Feeding. The guy at the expo said that I should feed them small crickets, but I wasnt sure if one this small would be able to take down a "Small" cricket,

Slings can take down bigger prey than one may think. A half inch sling can easily take down a small cricket! But give it pinhead crickets if you are worried that the prey may be to big!

Ian Brush

Arachnopeon
I got a G.Pulchra sling 2 weeks ago and as soon as I rehoused (into a softball display case enclosure) he immediately buried himself and closed off his hide...after being worried for a couple of days I've read enough posts from people like yourself that say "they know what they're doing"...and I'm not too concerned about him now. I check on him daily..can see into his little burrow through the side and I've figured he's just in premolt and it's still fascinating :)
My pulchra has done the same thing for almost a month now but she is just starting to come back out and with what? A molt!