caribena versicolors

burnsj22

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone,
I kind of took a break from the hobby for about a year, not watching videos or talking Ts with anyone. I'm ready to jump back into everything because it's crazy to not let myself be fully engaged with a hobby that has brought me so much joy in the past. I picked up a caribena versicolor sling (about 3/4") a couple days ago and now I would love to hear about your experiences or see any pics from raising these little guys or if you have any species specific tips :)

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
They're pretty, and grow fairly quickly. Mine was 3/4 inch about 6 months ago, and is close to 3 inches now. Since the last molt and a rehousing, it's become much more reclusive. I often see the feet sticking out from behind the cork bark, but rarely the whole T unless it's at night and I'm using a red light.

This is a pic of what it looked like before the most recent molt. Back when it would hang out in plain sight during the day.

Last edited:

burnsj22

Arachnopeon
Avicularia care

The link above contains all the necessary care info, as for pics:

Mileena, my female.
View media item 38105View media item 38446View media item 42219View media item 47156
Phoenix, my male.
View media item 39595View media item 42107View media item 45420View media item 51441
Unsexed juvenile that I sold to another member a while back.
View media item 48525
ah they're all gorgeous! This is my first sling in about 4 years so I'm quite excited to see this little guy grow and develop all that fluff and color. Thanks for the care link too. I feel pretty confident in my setup and husbandry but its always nice to read another source confirming that you have the right plan :)

They're pretty, and grow fairly quickly. Mine was 3/4 inch about 6 months ago, and is close to 3 inches now. Since the last molt and a rehousing, it's become much more reclusive. I often see the feet sticking out from behind the cork bark, but rarely the whole T unless it's at night and I'm using a red light.

This is a pic of what it looked like before the most recent molt. Back when it would hang out in plain sight during the day.

That's a great picture! I don't think I'm ever gonna stop being obsessed with this species colors. It must be a little disappointing to see the personality change to be more shy or reclusive though I do usually think that a hidden tarantula is a happy one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Did scientific name change again?? I had one almost full grown fall out it’s web post molt and die. Enclosure was small too maybe it was as a advantage momt , plan on getting another it was my favorite spider at the time.

aphono

Arachnobaron
It's Caribena but the avic care info works for them too.

cold blood

Staff member
Versi are great...good eaters and pretty fast growers IME.

btw, I am in SE WI, I would talk ts with ya any time;)

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Love ‘em! It is by far the most gregarious sling I keep, even stays put when I open the enclosure, which is top opening and that’s where it stays about 1/2” from the lid. I drop food and water right next to it and it doesn’t budge. It is however, a lazy eater, by this I mean it is not quick to jump on prey. I drop a mini worm next to it and it just sits, but when I come to check in a couple hours it’ll be chowing. Interesting also that even folks who are not “enthusiastic” about the hobby often remark about liking, “the little blue one”.

Glad you’re back in the saddle.

FOREVER

Arachnopeon
Great T, got one 1/2 inch 2 month ago.
It circled around the enclosure for about 1h then immediately started webbing and eating like a champ (we talking 8 to 10 1/4" cricket per week here).
Fast molt (mine did it in less than a week)
Plus it's real pretty and if you have a transparent enclosure you get to see them all the time if it web on the side.

burnsj22

Arachnopeon
Versi are great...good eaters and pretty fast growers IME.

btw, I am in SE WI, I would talk ts with ya any time;)
Awesome! I would love to hear about your collection any time. I'm hoping that that's true about versi being fast growers... not gonna lie, i'm a bit nervous about her being so small and fragile.

Great T, got one 1/2 inch 2 month ago.
It circled around the enclosure for about 1h then immediately started webbing and eating like a champ (we talking 8 to 10 1/4" cricket per week here).
Fast molt (mine did it in less than a week)
Plus it's real pretty and if you have a transparent enclosure you get to see them all the time if it web on the side.
That's great that your's is doing so well. My enclosure is pretty transparent, there's webbing all over the place but not so thick that I can't see it. I'm planning on doing my second feeding today

Last edited by a moderator: