Caribena versicolor

James Bradfield

Arachnopeon
Looking to find as much info on Caribena versicolor I can get. New to the hobby so I'm still learning more each day.

AshS

Arachnosquire
They're awesome.

Can be a little skittish.
Slings are an striking blue colour and change as they get older.
They're aboreal so the prefer height to floor space.
They need lots of anchor points as they web a lot.
What else would you like to know? 20171109_221650.jpg

James Bradfield

Arachnopeon
They're awesome.

Can be a little skittish.
Slings are an striking blue colour and change as they get older.
They're aboreal so the prefer height to floor space.
They need lots of anchor points as they web a lot.
What else would you like to know? View attachment 257389
Do they borrow at all? Mine are both slings that are blue like your picture. How long until they start to mature and get their sub adult color? I love the little hairs all over these little ones I have. Please do tell me anything more you know about this species. When do you know you can breed them? Thanks for your great info

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
Question about ideal ventilation of a versi sling habitat... this is what I've gathered is ideal but wanting confirmation or advice.

Vent hole on roof/ceiling? I would guess no, as it would make humidity drop too quickly.

Vent holes on sides - a row across each side about 1cm from the top, plus 4 or 5 holes in the center of the wall on each side. No vent holes near the floor.

Does that sound about right? Thanks!

James Bradfield

Arachnopeon
Question about ideal ventilation of a versi sling habitat... this is what I've gathered is ideal but wanting confirmation or advice.

Vent hole on roof/ceiling? I would guess no, as it would make humidity drop too quickly.

Vent holes on sides - a row across each side about 1cm from the top, plus 4 or 5 holes in the center of the wall on each side. No vent holes near the floor.

Does that sound about right? Thanks!
I do lots of ventilation around the top on the side, and humidity levels still stay perfect. Just mist them once in a while, that's what I do, and when I mist them I soak it nice, than leave it for another while to soak again.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Cross ventilation is more important but I do like to include some ventilation up top.

A row all around near the top, the same at just above substrate level, additional holes at mid level depending on container type.

cold blood

Staff member
Humidity isn't a concern...err on the dry side, too much moisture can be a killer for them. Of the Avic relatives, they may be the hardiest and most forgiving, but they still have a more narrow band of husbandry than most other species.

Keep the sub predominantly dry, good ventilation a water dish, and add a piece of vertical wood and surround that with plants...they like lots of cover and clutter in the top half. Leave the floor pretty much bare, additions at ground level merely give feeders hiding places.

You will start to see color changes by 2", adult colors about 3".

Males can only be bred (like any spider) once they have gone though their ultimate molt. Females are generally mature around 4", but you can examine the molt to be sure.

Keep temps at 70 or better.

Jayvicularia

Small Batch Seller
When they stop eating add extra humidity a week or two later and they she'd easily. My sling loved houseflies and was fun to watch hunt.

Jayvicularia

Small Batch Seller
This is my adult male Caribena Vericolor after final molt. I cannot see tibial hooks but the pedipalps have changed and I can easily see the bulbs at the end

Attachments

AbbyC

Arachnopeon
I have a 1" sling, and he/she is gorgeous! I see a lot of people having trouble with this species, but I've had no issues whatsoever. They always eat and is always out in the open or in their web. Care is not overly complicated, you just need to keep the cage dry. I feed her/him dead crickets as a precaution and have never had any issues.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
As far as C. versicolor color changes go, I've had mine for a little over a year and I got it as a tiny 1/8" sling and it's just now starting to gradually get its adult colors.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Love an inverted Amac box! Just don’t let the cork go all the way to the substrate or you’ll be fighting crickets trying to squeeze under the cork and hide there. Also, there’s a second water dish up high in the back.

Attachments