1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caribena versicolor

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Mr Tarantula James, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Mr Tarantula James

Mr Tarantula James Arachnopeon

Toronto
    Advertisement
    Looking to find as much info on Caribena versicolor I can get. New to the hobby so I'm still learning more each day.

2. AshS

AshS Arachnopeon

They're awesome.

Can be a little skittish.
    Slings are an striking blue colour and change as they get older.
    They're aboreal so the prefer height to floor space.
    They need lots of anchor points as they web a lot.
    What else would you like to know? 20171109_221650.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  3. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoking Active Member

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Mr Tarantula James

Toronto
    Do they borrow at all? Mine are both slings that are blue like your picture. How long until they start to mature and get their sub adult color? I love the little hairs all over these little ones I have. Please do tell me anything more you know about this species. When do you know you can breed them? Thanks for your great info

5. Nightshady

Nightshady Arachnopeon Active Member

Question about ideal ventilation of a versi sling habitat... this is what I've gathered is ideal but wanting confirmation or advice.

Vent hole on roof/ceiling? I would guess no, as it would make humidity drop too quickly.

Vent holes on sides - a row across each side about 1cm from the top, plus 4 or 5 holes in the center of the wall on each side. No vent holes near the floor.

Does that sound about right? Thanks!

6. Mr Tarantula James

Toronto
    I do lots of ventilation around the top on the side, and humidity levels still stay perfect. Just mist them once in a while, that's what I do, and when I mist them I soak it nice, than leave it for another while to soak again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Sad Sad x 1
  7. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnobaron Active Member

Cross ventilation is more important but I do like to include some ventilation up top.

A row all around near the top, the same at just above substrate level, additional holes at mid level depending on container type.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Arachnoprince Active Member

Avicularia (and their Caribena cousins) live arboreally, even as slings. (Other arboreal genera, like Psalmopoeus, will often burrow and/or make dirt curtains as slings.)

9. cold blood

cold blood ArachnoGod Active Member

Humidity isn't a concern...err on the dry side, too much moisture can be a killer for them. Of the Avic relatives, they may be the hardiest and most forgiving, but they still have a more narrow band of husbandry than most other species.

Keep the sub predominantly dry, good ventilation a water dish, and add a piece of vertical wood and surround that with plants...they like lots of cover and clutter in the top half. Leave the floor pretty much bare, additions at ground level merely give feeders hiding places.

You will start to see color changes by 2", adult colors about 3".

Males can only be bred (like any spider) once they have gone though their ultimate molt. Females are generally mature around 4", but you can examine the molt to be sure.

Keep temps at 70 or better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. cold blood

cold blood ArachnoGod Active Member

11. Jayvicularia

Jayvicularia Arachnopeon

When they stop eating add extra humidity a week or two later and they she'd easily. My sling loved houseflies and was fun to watch hunt.

12. Jayvicularia

Jayvicularia Arachnopeon

This is my adult male Caribena Vericolor after final molt. I cannot see tibial hooks but the pedipalps have changed and I can easily see the bulbs at the end

Attached Files: