Caribena Versicolor Sling Acting Weird

Laiobt

Arachnopeon
7044983D-0174-4567-982E-29CEDAC215C6.png Hello, I’m new to the hobby and am worried about my Caribena Versicolor sling. It’s pretty small, and I’ve had it for about a week now. When I got it, the first day it took down a small cricket after I crushed its head because I didn’t have a smaller feeder at the time, and it hasn’t ate since.
I wasn’t worried about her starving because after that the abdomen got pretty large.
Today I was checking on it, and it seemed to be acting very weird. It was in a curl, and I used a paintbrush to try and get it to move but it didn’t budge. I got it on my finger and it started to finally move around and tried to web my finger quite a bit. Every time I put it back in the vial it would become still again, barely moving.
I’ve missed the enclosure, made sure to provide plenty water. It does have a shiny abdomen. So I was thinking maybe pre-molt. But the way it’s curling up is frightening me. Any suggestions on what might be going on?
Thanks in advance

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Too much moisture, too stuffy conditions inside the container, that's why it becomes active outside the enclosure. These conditions are a great way to kill your little one.

What you must do: Don't mist, but keep the enclosure predominantly dry and provide a water dish (and maybe a spritz of water to the sides every now and then) and add more ventilation.

You probably read the wrong care sheets for these guys. Read this instead (it has a great section an Avicularia (and their relatives) care): http://arachnoboards.com/threads/tarantula-information-for-beginners-and-more.318718/

Last edited:

Pepper

Arachnosquire
Yeah that looks definitely like not enough ventilation. You can fix it in like 5 minutes if you have a drill with a tiny bit and a place to put the spider while you do it.

Vulksgren

Arachnopeon
I noticed when mine did that it was either too wet or no water in its dish (this happened once when I thought it had water still, but came to find out it all evaporated and it was just the reflection from the cap). Cross ventilation is very important. Would listen to Thekla to.

Laiobt

Arachnopeon
Too much moisture, too stuffy conditions inside the container, that's why it becomes active outside the enclosure. These conditions are a great way to kill your little one.

What you must do: Don't mist, but keep the enclosure predominantly dry and provide a water dish (and maybe a spritz of water to the sides every now and then) and add more ventilation.

You probably read the wrong care sheets for these guys. Read this instead (it has a great section an Avicularia (and their relatives) care): http://arachnoboards.com/threads/tarantula-information-for-beginners-and-more.318718/
Thank you !!! I hope it’ll be okay

Laiobt

Arachnopeon
I woke up this morning, added more ventilation. When I put it on my finger hardly any movement. It seem hard for it to move it’s legs and kept tipping over. I haven’t lost hope yet. But definitely seems like it won’t make it. I’ll update on here. Thanks for all your help though

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Make sure the enclosure is really dry right now, just with a water dish. Or put it in a very well ventilated temporary container with dry substrate or just dry tissue paper and a water dish. It's really important that it gets out of any stuffy conditions. I mean even though you added ventilation doesn't necessarily mean you created the right environment immediately.