Caribena versicolor info

Kasshole

Arachnopeon
Hey guys!!

So I’m getting my second T on Friday!! It’s a caribena versicolor and I’m looking for some advice on this specific T.

It’s 3/4” and will come with it’s own enclosure (thankfully) anyone else have one and wants to help a newbie out?

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I kept slings and juveniles in enclosures with moist peat and large open tops, like glass, with plastic mesh atatched sround the rim with rubberband! Plenty ventilation is key to those. Best is crossventilation but i never had major ischues with my set ups

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Here's an example of how your sling setup should look, I provide a row of vent holes near the top, the same just above substrate level, a few at mid height, and a few in the lid, that is more than enough ventilation IME.

Avic setup side.JPG Avic setup top.JPG

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I just put alot of small barkslabs in there or some hollow bamboo cains!

Kasshole

Arachnopeon
How do you know if they’re eating? Mine is sooo tiny it won’t take the prey or go near it..

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
How do you know if they’re eating? Mine is sooo tiny it won’t take the prey or go near it..
Most slings under 1 inch will happily scavenge on a pre-killed small cricket. I just put them in the freezer to kill, and then thaw for a couple of hours before putting them into the enclosure (which is usually a vial at that size) with tweezers. I do this in the evening, and usually by morning most of them are chowing down. If you don't have any small crickets, a cricket drumstick also works (just pop the rear leg off of an adult cricket.) If not, your sling may just be full and/or in premolt. If the abdomen is plump, that's a good indicator that it may be full...just keep water available.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
When they are fat

At any size this species puts on considerable mass compared to other Avics

Hey guys!!

So I’m getting my second T on Friday!! It’s a caribena versicolor and I’m looking for some advice on this specific T.

It’s 3/4” and will come with it’s own enclosure (thankfully) anyone else have one and wants to help a newbie out?
What research have you done????

It’s not smart at all to get Avics without first doing thorough research.

And your question is so general, it’s not helpful to us. We don’t know what you know

Last edited by a moderator:

Milkofcow

Arachnopeon
I guess I have a question for the same species but is otherwise unrelated.

I hope this is an okay place to post. Let me know otherwise as I'm new here.

I just cleaned my versicolors tank about two weeks ago. He just molted, and Everytime he's molted he has ditched his web. I haven't heard of this behavior anywhere, but after the most he was running around his tank stressed (I think).

-- thought this could be a couple of things:
-irst thought was that he was looking for a new place to make a web
----second thought was food

Ended up cleaning tank and behavior continued and he still hasn't set up a web. Only taken food once which might be because he's older? I did catch him drinking though.

Atm other than appearing stressed and doing laps around the enclosure he seems healthy and I did see him drinking earlier.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Did you clean the tank before or after the moult? And WHY??? When did it moult? When did you try to feed it? Sorry, but the timeline here is unclear to me.

First of all, you don't have to deep clean the enclosure. Just pick out boluses when you see them and clean the poop from the glass if it's bothering you (not strictly necessary though).
After a moult, it can take a few weeks before they start eating again (depending on its size). You should allow them to completely harden up before you attempt to feed them.

Pictures of the T and the whole enclosure can help immensely. ;)

Milkofcow

Arachnopeon
Did you clean the tank before or after the moult? And WHY??? When did it moult? When did you try to feed it? Sorry, but the timeline here is unclear to me.

First of all, you don't have to deep clean the enclosure. Just pick out boluses when you see them and clean the poop from the glass if it's bothering you (not strictly necessary though).
After a moult, it can take a few weeks before they start eating again (depending on its size). You should allow them to completely harden up before you attempt to feed them.

Pictures of the T and the whole enclosure can help immensely. ;)
In terms of time I gave about a week after the moult to even touch the cage - I'm aware of how delicate spiders can be during and after moult. However before I cleaned the enclosure but after it had moulted 2-3days my T had ditched it's web and was running laps around the tank. I have seen this behavior for this t after every moult, it will find a new spot to make a web. I'm fairly sure this is what it was trying to do, but it did not find a spot to set up a new web. Also on close inspection of dates it looks like it has been about 4weeks total after cleaning.

For why I did an over haul on the tank - I wanted to add a drainege layer so for a live plant, and took this to be a good time. However he got his same cork setup back.

He has set up a web bed inside of the cork tube, but that's the extent of it here is a picture of the tank

Attachments

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Use simplivity. If you are gonna use plant use Epipremnum aureum. Theh dont need any drainage layer and they dont need much light. Just put a sprout, or vine into moist substrate. Thats it! They usally develoup roots in the sub. You can put the vine in a glass if water some weeks do that roots form and then plant it!

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Some species/specimen only web heavily right before a moult. I wouldn't worry. It will find a new spot in time. :)

As for the plants in the enclosure... generally, I'd be cautious with real plants in an Avic (or their relatives) enclosure. Conditions can get stuffy more easily which could be harmful for them. I know it can be done, but make sure there's enough/proper cross ventilation. For example, it looks as if you blocked the lower ventilation strip with substrate. I hope that's just the angle of the picture. ;)

Also, I'd get rid off the mesh lid and replace it with an acrylic sheet with drilled holes in it. They can get their tarsal claws stuck in the mesh.

Milkofcow

Arachnopeon
Use simplivity. If you are gonna use plant use Epipremnum aureum. Theh dont need any drainage layer and they dont need much light. Just put a sprout, or vine into moist substrate. Thats it! They usally develoup roots in the sub. You can put the vine in a glass if water some weeks do that roots form and then plant it!
Thanks

khalil

Arachnopeon
I guess I have a question for the same species but is otherwise unrelated.

I hope this is an okay place to post. Let me know otherwise as I'm new here.

I just cleaned my versicolors tank about two weeks ago. He just molted, and Everytime he's molted he has ditched his web. I haven't heard of this behavior anywhere, but after the most he was running around his tank stressed (I think).

-- thought this could be a couple of things:
-irst thought was that he was looking for a new place to make a web
----second thought was food

Ended up cleaning tank and behavior continued and he still hasn't set up a web. Only taken food once which might be because he's older? I did catch him drinking though.

Atm other than appearing stressed and doing laps around the enclosure he seems healthy and I did see him drinking earlier.
I noticed you mention it as "he"...so isnt there a possibility he matured and wandering for mating ?

Milkofcow

Arachnopeon
I noticed you mention it as "he"...so isnt there a possibility he matured and wandering for mating ?
Don't know gender, but this should be the mature molted. I'll have to look into this more. I hadn't even thought about this. Thank you very much. Don't know for sure, but this sounds very plausible