Caribena versicolor Care?

spacelord

Arachnosquire
I purchased a pink toe caribena vers. From pet depot last week and prior i have 2 scorpions i really admire the spider but im wandering if its going to make it. I want to purchase another one. Several actually because my friend who has gotten me interested in this has 3 already including a goliath bird eater and its massive. I love that guy to death and i want to suprise him with a gift too while im at it. Im new to theese boards but ive researched a whole lot this week and i see there is much more to learn.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I purchased a pink toe caribena vers. From pet depot last week and prior i have 2 scorpions i really admire the spider but im wandering if its going to make it.
These two threads contain helpful information about caring for this species:

I would strongly encourage you to post a photo of your setup so that more experienced keepers can check for any issues that might jeopardize the health of your spider.

Minty

@londontarantulas
If you read nothing else, the most important thing is ventilation, lots of ventilation.

spacelord

Arachnosquire
Thanks for being concerned as i am very interested in getting more advanced into this and i would be ao happy if i can get this little guy to survive. Ive put it in i.c.u. twice and monitored temps and when i release it it seems to lively up but very soon gets back into this stance. I can attempt to touch its back leg and make it move a tiny bit and its NOT twitching or showing signs of dks. So im puzzled im doing what i can and everyone i know has gave me input. I have to try to warm the tank i feel because in the mornings my room is 67 degrees and im afraid thats a tad to cold but ive found how to keep it between 75 and 82 but i just cant seem to get the t. To act the same it was when i purchased it. Im probably over worrying since its my first one and im 28 and never had a kid so its like a son to me already lol 20181014_154937.jpg

These two threads contain helpful information about caring for this species:

I would strongly encourage you to post a photo of your setup so that more experienced keepers can check for any issues that might jeopardize the health of your spider.
Great threads by the way

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Thanks for being concerned as i am very interested in getting more advanced into this and i would be ao happy if i can get this little guy to survive. Ive put it in i.c.u. twice and monitored temps and when i release it it seems to lively up but very soon gets back into this stance. I can attempt to touch its back leg and make it move a tiny bit and its NOT twitching or showing signs of dks. So im puzzled im doing what i can and everyone i know has gave me input. I have to try to warm the tank i feel because in the mornings my room is 67 degrees and im afraid thats a tad to cold but ive found how to keep it between 75 and 82 but i just cant seem to get the t. To act the same it was when i purchased it. Im probably over worrying since its my first one and im 28 and never had a kid so its like a son to me already lol View attachment 289434
Your enclosure is far too large for that speciemn, and there is no real cover or hiding spots that I can see...tarantulas feel very insecure stuck out in the open. Are you using a heat lamp? This will dessicate your versi very fast, if you need to heat its best to do so via space heater.

The ICU was a bad call, last thing it needs right now is a wet stuffy environment...if you fear dehydration and the T is too weak to move, just introduce its mouth parts to a water dish. That's the best you can do.

Good luck, hope it recovers.

spacelord

Arachnosquire
Your enclosure is far too large for that speciemn, and there is no real cover or hiding spots that I can see...tarantulas feel very insecure stuck out in the open. Are you using a heat lamp? This will dessicate your versi very fast, if you need to heat its best to do so via space heater.

The ICU was a bad call, last thing it needs right now is a wet stuffy environment...if you fear dehydration and the T is too weak to move, just introduce its mouth parts to a water dish. That's the best you can do.

Good luck, hope it recovers.
So u think perhaps if i put it in a smaller enclosure it might do a little better perhaps? And awww shucks i was just worried for it and thats all i could read to do. I only used a heat lamp for about an hour. Just pros/cons trying to figure out the best. I guess from that thread someone posted i should have just left it at normal 68 to 72 degree room temp instead of trying to warm it up.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
So u think perhaps if i put it in a smaller enclosure it might do a little better perhaps? And awww shucks i was just worried for it and thats all i could read to do. I only used a heat lamp for about an hour. Just pros/cons trying to figure out the best. I guess from that thread someone posted i should have just left it at normal 68 to 72 degree room temp instead of trying to warm it up.
The heat lamp must've fried it...no other reason for it to go downhill that fast, bad setups take longer to kill a T.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Not a Caribena versicolor. Most likely just a classic Avicularia avicularia morphotype#1.

ICUs suck for avics. Heat lamps suck. Heat mats suck. Stuffy conditions are the number one killer of Avicularia.

Aim for a mostly dry high ventilation enclosure. It's really not complicated. No need to measure temps or humidity.

That particular ICU is the most perfect Avicularia killer I've ever seen.

spacelord

Arachnosquire
Well that sucks. . . . . .well i want to get another one if this one doesnt make it. Phooey!

Not a Caribena versicolor. Most likely just a classic Avicularia avicularia morphotype#1.

ICUs suck for avics. Heat lamps suck. Heat mats suck. Stuffy conditions are the number one killer of Avicularia.

Aim for a mostly dry high ventilation enclosure. It's really not complicated. No need to measure temps or humidity.

That particular ICU is the most perfect Avicularia killer I've ever seen.
Well i tried to do right. ...i read about it befor i purchased it and theres so many mixed opinions. Its just my first one ever but i feel terrible if it does indeed die which it probably will. . . . :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Well i tried to do right. ...i read about it befor i purchased it and theres so many mixed opinions. Its just my first one ever but i feel terrible if it does indeed die which it probably will. . . . :(
Unfortunately, most of what you read online and watch on YouTube is incorrect. People see these spiders live in jungles, and assume they require high humidity. That is wrong.

Always look to people who have kept and/or raised the genus themselves. And not just for a couple weeks, but years preferably. Those are the ones you need to ask advice of.

What's the spider doing now? Where is it?

spacelord

Arachnosquire
Unfortunately, most of what you read online and watch on YouTube is incorrect. People see these spiders live in jungles, and assume they require high humidity. That is wrong.

Always look to people who have kept and/or raised the genus themselves. And not just for a couple weeks, but years preferably. Those are the ones you need to ask advice of.

What's the spider doing now? Where is it?
Its pretty much death curled doesnt want to move i have left it alone for 24 hours. Until i just read about the enclosure to big so i took the rock it was on and put it in a smaller enclosure with more hides. I dont think it will make it. I probably made to many noob errors. I have had it for 8 days as i purchased it from pet depot. It acted funny since the second day which is why i assumed it was to cold and pursued to try to heat the tank but i stopped that after a day also because i seen it was not appropiate. My friend who has goliath bird eater and a 4 inch pink toe said the animals from the pet departments always die on him. Ive just been doing all i could to revive it and i guess all attempts failed.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Its pretty much death curled doesnt want to move i have left it alone for 24 hours. Until i just read about the enclosure to big so i took the rock it was on and put it in a smaller enclosure with more hides. I dont think it will make it. I probably made to many noob errors. I have had it for 8 days as i purchased it from pet depot. It acted funny since the second day. My friend who has goliath bird eater and a 4 inch pink toe said the animals from the pet departments always die on him. Ive just been doing all i could to revive it and i guess all attempts failed.
Oftentimes pet stores carry wild caught stock, as they're cheapest. WC stock can have alot of different issues. Sometimes.

I have multiple tarantulas from pet stores that have grown and thrived with me for years.

Pics please.. no offense, but I don't know if your judgement is perfect on the matter. I'd like to see the death curl myself.

spacelord

Arachnosquire
No offense taken. Ive been meaning to get on here to talk and get more input its just been a busy week and all the running around to the pet store i been doing and working made it a hastle

Attachments

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
No offense taken. Ive been meaning to get on here to talk and get more input its just been a busy week and all the running around to the pet store i been doing and working made it a hastle
Avics likely dead or just about. Sorry.

That scorpion is next. What is that? A Heterometrus or Pandinus I imagine?

They are humid forest dwellers and burrowers. That sub needs replacing. Peat moss is what I use. No heat lamps. Good way to dessicate your animal. Those gauges are misleading and useless. 15395558346571824184122.jpg
Over the top for one specimen (Heterometrus petersii) but you get the idea. Deep moist sub, water dish, hide. No heat mats or lamps. Temps should stay 70+.

spacelord

Arachnosquire
Avics likely dead or just about. Sorry.

That scorpion is next. What is that? A Heterometrus or Pandinus I imagine?

They are humid forest dwellers and burrowers. That sub needs replacing. Peat moss is what I use. No heat lamps. Good way to dessicate your animal. Those gauges are misleading and useless. View attachment 289451
Over the top for one specimen (Heterometrus petersii) but you get the idea. Deep moist sub, water dish, hide. No heat mats or lamps. Temps should stay 70+.
Appreciate the input

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@spacelord Do your next T a favor, assuming it's an Avic. Read those links again, come back and ask questions if you have any. If not, BEFORE you get another one, make your setup, and post pics, people will comment.

That ExoTerra you had was far too large, that T would almost never find food in such open space like that. Also, you would need to replace the screen with acrylic lid if you haven't done so already.

spacelord

Arachnosquire
@spacelord Do your next T a favor, assuming it's an Avic. Read those links again, come back and ask questions if you have any. If not, BEFORE you get another one, make your setup, and post pics, people will comment.

That ExoTerra you had was far too large, that T would almost never find food in such open space like that. Also, you would need to replace the screen with acrylic lid if you haven't done so already.
Ok i will look into an acrylic lid and fornsure. Wel im already thinking about getting into another one. So itd be nice to be able to get pointed into. The right direction. . . im.just a chill man i quit the second job i was working so i have time to tend to a sling if i was to purchase one of those but perhaps itd be best for me to just get a 2 to 3 inch? I was not aware of the enclosure being to large but i have to admit it was my fault that this one passed. I had to work 16 hours one day and it was not something i planned for and it was only the second day of having the t. But that shall not happen again. And as for it being my first i was a little touchy with it and with my a.d.d. i bothered it way to much im sure but i wouldnt do that again. And when i first purchased it i did not know it jumped and it sort of banged itself inside of the first plastic enclosure i had bought befor i could even get it home from the pet store....but i mean. Thanks for not beating me up about it i am totally sad it didnt make it. . . .:(

Jayk

Arachnopeon
Ok i will look into an acrylic lid and fornsure. Wel im already thinking about getting into another one. So itd be nice to be able to get pointed into. The right direction. . . im.just a chill man i quit the second job i was working so i have time to tend to a sling if i was to purchase one of those but perhaps itd be best for me to just get a 2 to 3 inch? I was not aware of the enclosure being to large but i have to admit it was my fault that this one passed. I had to work 16 hours one day and it was not something i planned for and it was only the second day of having the t. But that shall not happen again. And as for it being my first i was a little touchy with it and with my a.d.d. i bothered it way to much im sure but i wouldnt do that again. And when i first purchased it i did not know it jumped and it sort of banged itself inside of the first plastic enclosure i had bought befor i could even get it home from the pet store....but i mean. Thanks for not beating me up about it i am totally sad it didnt make it. . . .:(
These things happen, Slings really don't require that much time and care that you need to quit a job for them, I check mine when I get home from work and before I go to bed sometimes, feed them every other day, some slings get food everyday if they want it, other than that I pay little attention to them.