Caribena vers sling

Ekaterina

Arachnopeon
Hi guys. Greetings from Russia. I am new at the hobby. I've keeping T's about half a year. I have some questions about caribena slings. I bought one myself recently. Also I already have a bad experience with this guys. My first caribena sling is dead now and it makes me more nerveous than I was before.
There is a thing, that russian care sheets are different from yours. We use the old strategy for rise those little spiders. We use wet coconut fiber (we mix it with vermiculite here) and keep humidity at high level.
After I read a thread about avicularia care I understand that this information from our russian forums is wrong. Also I think that this could be the reason for my caribena's death.

I don't want to make the same mistake again. I want to my T's be healthy and kind of happy.
My sling is very tiny now. It has made its web already. Those pink thingies is plastic sticks. Also I've make a door in its enclosure. I've done it to disturb it less. I have it about a week. The sling refuse to take a food, but its abdomen is quite small for molt. I was give a cricket and a fly for it.

So, what do you can say about it? I think I must change the coconut fiber to a dry one and put a little cup. However, I don't want to rip its web off. I'd be very pleasant to hear your suggestions. Here you go.

Full gallery: https://postimg.cc/gallery/1koa1uajc/

P.S. I've have a problem with posting an image. I've done a little research for how to uplode a picture. I've search by "post image", but i haven't found anything. So I googled for external hosting for image upload.

P.P.S. Sorry for my language skills.

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
Hi guys. Greetings from Russia. I am new at the hobby. I've keeping T's about half a year. I have some questions about caribena slings. I bought one myself recently. Also I already have a bad experience with this guys. My first caribena sling is dead now and it makes me more nerveous than I was before.
There is a thing, that russian care sheets are different from yours. We use the old strategy for rise those little spiders. We use wet coconut fiber (we mix it with vermiculite here) and keep humidity at high level.
After I read a thread about avicularia care I understand that this information from our russian forums is wrong. Also I think that this could be the reason for my caribena's death.

I don't want to make the same mistake again. I want to my T's be healthy and kind of happy.
My sling is very tiny now. It has made its web already. Those pink thingies is plastic sticks. Also I've make a door in its enclosure. I've done it to disturb it less. I have it about a week. The sling refuse to take a food, but its abdomen is quite small for molt. I was give a cricket and a fly for it.

So, what do you can say about it? I think I must change the coconut fiber to a dry one and put a little cup. However, I don't want to rip its web off. I'd be very pleasant to hear your suggestions. Here you go.

Full gallery: https://postimg.cc/gallery/1koa1uajc/

P.S. I've have a problem with posting an image. I've done a little research for how to uplode a picture. I've search by "post image", but i haven't found anything. So I googled for external hosting for image upload.

P.P.S. Sorry for my language skills.
Welcome to the forums!!!!
I would personally give it dryer substrate without all of those vitamins for plants and other nasty chemicals. Here is probably the best info so stick to this forum.if you don’t mind me asking what other Ts do U have.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Please get it out of that death trap as soon as possible. You need more cross ventilation and dry substrate. If there's no room for a water dish you can put a few drops of water on its webbing for drinking, but a little water dish would be much safer.

Please read these threads:

Avicularia care by @Venom1080
Avicularia husbandry by @viper69

It's a good thing you came to this forum! Welcome! :)

Ekaterina

Arachnopeon
Welcome to the forums!!!!
I would personally give it dryer substrate without all of those vitamins for plants and other nasty chemicals. Here is probably the best info so stick to this forum.if you don’t mind me asking what other Ts do U have.
Thank you for reply! :happy:

I don't use vitamins for plants. The vermiculite is pure. It is the common situation to mix it with fiber in Russia cause it helps to keep the substrate wet a little bit longer. But I think I'd better listen to your advice. I've already been dissapoint in our informative russian threads..

Sure, I have 2 Avic Geroldi, 2 G. Pulchra, G. Pulchripes, G. Rosea Red, B. Smithi, A. Geniculata, L. Parahybana, GBB and P. Sazimai. Most of them are sling. Smithi and Pulchra is an adult ones.

Also my experience with Geroldi is much different from Caribena's care.

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
Just a heads up in case you don't know already, but GBB prefer it dry as well once they hit about 3cm :)

Ekaterina

Arachnopeon
Please get it out of that death trap as soon as possible. You need more cross ventilation and dry substrate. If there's no room for a water dish you can put a few drops of water on its webbing for drinking, but a little water dish would be much safer.

Please read these threads:

Avicularia care by @Venom1080
Avicularia husbandry by @viper69

It's a good thing you came to this forum! Welcome! :)
Thank you for your advice!

I've already read the first one. It become the reason for me to create this thread and ask for help. :embarrassed:

I definitely will do more ventilation and change the substrate. Hope this works!

Well, i have a place for it. But it seems that cup will take more than a half of free space. Isn't it dangerous?

Just a heads up in case you don't know already, but GBB prefer it dry as well once they hit about 3cm :)
Thanks for the concern!

I've keep mine in dry substrate. Humidity is about 40%. I usually add some water on the corners of its enclosure. Hope this is right. It doing well and molt about 2 times.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Thank you for your advice!

I've already read the first one. It become the reason for me to create this thread and ask for help. :embarrassed:

I definitely will do more ventilation and change the substrate. Hope this works!

Well, i have a place for it. But it seems that cup will take more than a half of free space. Isn't it dangerous?
You can easily house that sling in a slightly bigger enclosure, if the water dish is too big. ;)
This is my set up:

scale-1400-800-wISKGYTiepBtbzhJhtlI.jpg

And don't worry, it's not dangerous to have a water dish (whatever the size) in the enclosure, they can't drown. :)

They basically float! :rofl:

Ekaterina

Arachnopeon
You can easily house that sling in a slightly bigger enclosure, if the water dish is too big. ;)
This is my set up:

View attachment 278554

And don't worry, it's not dangerous to have a water dish (whatever the size) in the enclosure, they can't drown. :)

They basically float! :rofl:
Wow! How beautiful!
Isn't it a big enclosure for a such a small T? I think mine is even smaller. I'm afraid of losing some Ts' prey in such big enclosure.

Also it will be nice if someone could told me, how you groups T's. In my country we have three groups. The first one is T's, that live in the trees. If I understand right, it must be called 'arboreal'. The second group is.. I guess, it could be translated as 'ground' species. The last one include those T's, that digging holes. What about eng version? :bookworm:

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
Also it will be nice if someone could told me, how you groups T's. In my country we have three groups. The first one is T's, that live in the trees. If I understand right, it must be called 'arboreal'. The second group is.. I guess, it could be translated as 'ground' species. The last one include those T's, that digging holes. What about eng version? :bookworm:
Terrestrial - ground
Arboreal - tree dwelling
Fossorial- pet holes
Old World - highly venomous
New World- mildly venomous except a few like psalmopoeus for the most part and kick hairs

Ekaterina

Arachnopeon
Terrestrial - ground
Arboreal - tree dwelling
Fossorial- pet holes
New World- mildly venomous except a few like psalmopoeus for the most part and kick hairs
Oh my! Thank you for that! All become a little bit clearer now. You have saved me from getting lost in tons of information.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Wow! How beautiful!
Isn't it a big enclosure for a such a small T? I think mine is even smaller. I'm afraid of losing some Ts' prey in such big enclosure.
Well, my sling was 1/2" - 3/4" when I put it into that enclosure, the enclosure itself being 2"x2"x4". I don't think it's too big. My sling is roaming and webbing the entire enclosure and seems content in doing so.And judging by your thumb your sling is about the same size.;)

And as @Joogvanhedel already stated I only feed prekilled prey at the moment to be on the safe side. It always finds its food, even when it takes a few hours. ;) Just leave it there over night, and if it's not eaten by morning, take it out. :)

But you're right, you should definitely make the necessary changes to your enclosure, before you try feeding again. :)

Last edited:

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Terrestrial - ground
Arboreal - tree dwelling
Fossorial- pet holes
Just wanted to add a little extra clarification. New world and old world are unrelated to the other three classifications. New world means that it comes from north or south America, old world means it comes from Africa, Asia, Europe, or Australia.

So there are New world (NW) Terrestrials and Old world (OW) Terestrials, same with the fossorial and arboreal species .

Just wanted to make sure that was clear.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
If I understand right, it must be called 'arboreal'.
Correct.

The second group is.. I guess, it could be translated as 'ground' species.
Terrestrial

The last one include those T's, that digging holes. What about eng version?
Fossorial

Although you are correct about the venom potency, the labels just denote where they are from:

OW - Tarantulas from Europe/Africa/Asia/Oceania
NW - Tarantulas from North/South America

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Also my experience with Geroldi is much different from Caribena's care.
I'm curious how your experience with the geroldi care is different from the versicolor care. They should both be kept the same way. Dry substrate, a water dish if possible (if not, you can put a droplet of water on the spider's webbing on occasion) lots of ventilation, an lots of decorations for it to web up.You don't need to worry about specific humidity numbers for any tarantula. Nice and simple. :)

And don't worry, the standard care sheets are all messed up no matter where you look. It's not exclusive to Russia. The idea that Avicularia sp. and Caribena sp. need lots of humidity is very old and outdated information, and it's unfortunately the reason so many of them have met their end before they should have. But no one seems to care enough to update the care sheets out there that are so easy to find. Lucky for you, you found this forum which has lots of correct information and a great community of people willing to help :)

Ekaterina

Arachnopeon
Well, my sling was 1/2" - 3/4" when I put it into that enclosure, the enclosure itself being 2"x2"x4". I don't think it's too big. My sling is roaming and webbing the entire enclosure and seems content in doing so.And judging by your thumb your sling is about the same size.;)

And as @Joogvanhedel already stated I only feed prekilled prey at the moment to be on the safe side. It always finds its food, even when it takes a few hours. ;) Just leave it there over night, and if it's not eaten by morning, take it out. :)

But you're right, you should definitely make the necessary changes to your enclosure, before you try feeding again. :)
Well, I guess I can have a slightly larger hands than hands of common woman. My height is the reason of it. I used Cm to Inches converter. It said that size of my sling is around 0,27 inches. It is 0,7 cm. Also all that i have is that eclosure and maybe a couple thingies that a bit smaller.

Actually, my caribena surprised me. It molted! It's abdomen is look terrible now. It seems to be that it is too small. I think that the sellman could feed them less, but that it is just a guess.

I will try to feed it tomorrow. I already changed the substrate.

Just wanted to add a little extra clarification. New world and old world are unrelated to the other three classifications. New world means that it comes from north or south America, old world means it comes from Africa, Asia, Europe, or Australia.

So there are New world (NW) Terrestrials and Old world (OW) Terestrials, same with the fossorial and arboreal species .

Just wanted to make sure that was clear.
Thank you very much!

It is quite simillar with our classification but differences matter.

Correct.

Terrestrial

Fossorial

Although you are correct about the venom potency, the labels just denote where they are from:

OW - Tarantulas from Europe/Africa/Asia/Oceania
NW - Tarantulas from North/South America
Thank you for clarifying these for me!

I'm curious how your experience with the geroldi care is different from the versicolor care. They should both be kept the same way. Dry substrate, a water dish if possible (if not, you can put a droplet of water on the spider's webbing on occasion) lots of ventilation, an lots of decorations for it to web up.You don't need to worry about specific humidity numbers for any tarantula. Nice and simple. :)

And don't worry, the standard care sheets are all messed up no matter where you look. It's not exclusive to Russia. The idea that Avicularia sp. and Caribena sp. need lots of humidity is very old and outdated information, and it's unfortunately the reason so many of them have met their end before they should have. But no one seems to care enough to update the care sheets out there that are so easy to find. Lucky for you, you found this forum which has lots of correct information and a great community of people willing to help :)
That's simple. My geroldi T's is much more stronger than caribena. They successfully survived high humidity. I know how to treat them well now. All of yours explanations helps.

The thing is that not only standart care sheets contains wrong information. It is everywhere. Our people REALLY use those sheets to care of avic slings. No wonder that their avic dies sometimes.

Lucky me! I'm so grateful for you guys. Hope all of my T's will be feel itselfs much better now.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Well, I guess I can have a slightly larger hands than hands of common woman. My height is the reason of it. I used Cm to Inches converter. It said that size of my sling is around 0,27 inches. It is 0,7 cm.
Sorry, but that sling is never ever only 1/4", especially if your hands are larger than normal. ;)
Do you measure the body length by any chance? I mean it could be that its body length is only 1/4", but the DLS (diagonal leg span) is definitely more, and that's the measurement we normally take here. :)
I now those 100ml cups, they're about 2" in diameter.

Also all that i have is that eclosure and maybe a couple thingies that a bit smaller.
Actually, my caribena surprised me. It molted! It's abdomen is look terrible now. It seems to be that it is too small. I think that the sellman could feed them less, but that it is just a guess.
I will try to feed it tomorrow. I already changed the substrate.
And if it has already moulted you should probably look around for something bigger anyway. ;)
And don't feed it too early. Slings harden up way faster than juvies and adults, but they still need some time. I'd give it 2-3 days, and then try to feed something prekilled. :)

Ekaterina

Arachnopeon
Make sure you spread the info around on the Russian forums now. :)
I tried to do it yesterday. Guess what? Nobody believe me. I created a post in russian social media in one of the biggest group of keepers. I gave them the links with proofs, but they too suspicious. Sad.

Sorry, but that sling is never ever only 1/4", especially if your hands are larger than normal. ;)
Do you measure the body length by any chance? I mean it could be that its body length is only 1/4", but the DLS (diagonal leg span) is definitely more, and that's the measurement we normally take here. :)
I now those 100ml cups, they're about 2" in diameter.

And if it has already moulted you should probably look around for something bigger anyway. ;)
And don't feed it too early. Slings harden up way faster than juvies and adults, but they still need some time. I'd give it 2-3 days, and then try to feed something prekilled. :)
Yes, i measure the body length. Thank you for clarifying this for me.

I fed it after 2,5 day since it's molt. It succesfully catch a fly and eat it. Now it is doing fine.

UPD:

Does it look like suitable enclosure? I did many of holes everywhere and put a little cup on the dry ground.

If there any chance someone could describe to me meaning of the word "bolt/bolting"? There is no accurate translate on Russian.