Care tips for Avicularia purpurea slings

aadarachnids

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone im new to this forum and i was wondering if anyone had any care tips for Avicularia purpurea and Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens slings.{D

satanslilhelper

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
They're both simple really.

GBB= bone dry enclosure, water bowl once they're around 2 in. DLS(diagonal leg span) feed 2-3x a week. I would feed one cricket at a time, but they can be as big as the GBB and they will wrestle them down NO problem. They will grow quickly. Other than that they're very resilient T's.

A. purpurea= Well ventilated vial or small cube for slings. Cross-ventilation being the key. Feed 2-3x a week. Keep their substrate moist, but not swampy. Enjoy!!!

Both of these are VERY good eaters. When they don't eat it's molt time. These are both some of my favorite T's in my collection.

rvtjonny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
keep them moist but don't over do it, you could even put a small and shallow water dish for them. do some research on them you can search the boards here and should be able to find everything you need to know about your slings.

I have a A. purpurea sling also, it has molted 3 times so far taking 5 to 6 weeks and doubling size. as far as the GBB i dont have one yet but i know they like it on the dryer side as adults. good luck

JDeRosa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I once had 7 Purpurea slings, now I am down to 5 after several months. And I am an experienced keeper at that. This species is a lot more delicate than a GBB. When you mist, just spray a couple of spritz' so enough water build up on the webbing so as to allow them to drink. Check the substrate periodically for little white mold. And look under their wen hammacks for food bolus or even live prey that was uneaten.
For ventilation I drilled 2 (1/8") holes in each side of the vial, and one hole in the top.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I once had 7 Purpurea slings, now I am down to 5 after several months. And I am an experienced keeper at that. This species is a lot more delicate than a GBB. When you mist, just spray a couple of spritz' so enough water build up on the webbing so as to allow them to drink. Check the substrate periodically for little white mold. And look under their wen hammacks for food bolus or even live prey that was uneaten.
For ventilation I drilled 2 (1/8") holes in each side of the vial, and one hole in the top.
I do pretty much the same way, but with a LOT more ventilation. I've been doing approximately 20 1/16" holes/per side on two sides, plus 20 holes on the top. Even better, I make 1/2 in holes on two sides and the top and cover with metal screen. I have 7 Avic slings with no losses so far using this method.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
This is my A. purpurea sling's set up

I have holes going down the sides two times on each side and four holes in each top corner.

I keep it moist, substrate is always damp. It is a GREAT little eater!