Care/timeline of recently born African Flat Rock scorpion babies

charles123

Arachnopeon
UPDATE: August 14th

I recently opened the group container that originally housed 4 baby Flat Rocks, and now there is only 1 very fat baby scorpion remaining. I also noticed baby scorpion pieces (claws, ex.ex.) scattered throughout the container. It appears this latest death was a case of cannibalism. The surviving baby also appears to have its tail stinger tip totally removed.

I believe perhaps I have underfed the babies since birth by feeding them too small of crickets at feedings (because most babies still appear to be on the skinny side.) And perhaps if the scorpions in the group container were better fed this cannibalism would not have taken place.

Note: With the other 2 dead baby Flat Rocks that have been removed from the group container there was no (positive) evidence of cannibalism.

The (9) babies that were housed in individual deli cups have a 100% survival rate.

PERSONALLY I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND HOUSING BABY FLAT ROCK SCORPIONS IN INDIVIDUAL CONTAINERS.

Last edited:

charles123

Arachnopeon
Update: Nov 24th

At some time between Nov 7th and Nov 20th (4) of the (10) baby flat rocks molted, all 4 molted successfully. The other 6 baby flat rocks are still in good health but have not molted yet.

Last edited:

Stugy

Arachnolord
Man this is so interesting to read. I would love to see pics of the scorplings.

Pipa

Arachnoknight
All my flat rock women are gravid for over 7 months now .... I also hear mix reviews about the babies... some say they are hard to keep alive and mortality rates are high but others say , they are bullet proof .. good to see some folks in here successful with this great under appreciated species!

charles123

Arachnopeon
This is my first time posting pictures in a forum, and I apologize for any poor picture quality or layout.

This is the shelf where I house my scorpion and tarantula collection.

These are the cages where I house my 4 adult Flat rock scorpions (1 male/1 female Hadogenes troglodytes, and 1 male/1 female Hadogenes paucidens.) There is a reptile heat pad between the 4 cages for added heat.

9 of the 10 babies are housed above these cages in deli cups in the area closest to the heating pad.

This is the adult female flat rock that gave birth to the babies (perhaps these pictures make her appear smaller than she actually is.)

These pictures are the babies that have molted, at least one molt is visible close to the middle of the deli cup in the lidless picture.

You may be able to notice that in the 2nd picture the baby in the upper deli cup with the lid attached is much larger than the uncovered cup (the larger baby had a cricket in its cage that I did not want to escape while taking pictures.)

These are some pictures of the babies that have not yet molted.

Last edited:

charles123

Arachnopeon
Update: Jan-21-2017

At some time in December the last remaining baby scorpion living in the group container died. The scorpion had molted successful and fully removed itself from the molt, but the scorpion was found laying on its back dead next to the molt. I believe perhaps this scorpion may have had its stinger tip removed during fights with other scorpions.

But prior to me finding the dead scorpion a mishap happened where none of my inverts were fed or watered for approx 1 month. But I don't know when the scorpion molted during that month, so I assume this scorpion either died from a molting mishap, having its stinger tip removed, or not having access to water after molting.

- The (9) baby scorpions living in individual containers still have a 100% survival rate. (6) of them have molted and (3) have not molted yet.

charles123

Arachnopeon
Note: For the last 2-3 months due to circumstances out of my control the baby scorpions have gone without food or water for several 2 week periods and a 1 month period. After this the baby scorpions still appear healthy, fully alert, and are actively feeding.

These baby Flat Rock Scorpions are capable of going 1 month without food or water (unless they molt during that 1 month period.)

I do not condone, approve of, or recommend watering/feeding baby scorpions every 2 weeks to 1 month. Instead I stated this information for accuracy and to provide a better understanding of baby Flat Rock Scorpions (the mishap and circumstances that caused this flawed feeding schedule was totally out of my control.)

Chad.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I recently bouht a MM H. trog for my two AFs. What is the container you house your pair in? I'd love to breed these guys, I just worry about not giving them enough space :)