1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Care for new B. Smithi (Hamorii)

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by olivianicole, Mar 14, 2019.

1. olivianicole

olivianicole Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    I just got my first tarantula, a young Mexican redknee. Right now we have it in a round container about 8 inches in diameter, a tiny dish for water and a homemade hide made out of cardboard. I've done a lot of research, but I'd like some personal opinions on how to keep her (we're assuming/hoping it's a girl until we can sex her) right now. I have a ceramic heater in my room that I've set up next to her container which I've put inside my kind of armoire with a TV on top and a shelf underneath, which she sits on. I close the door on it and the heat leads up into the little cubby-type space to where she is- it gets pretty warm, anywhere from 74-80 (I read this from a thermometer inside her habitat that I place on top of the substrate). We are getting into nicer weather so I don't think I need a side-tank heater at this moment in time. She was in a busier part of the house the first few days and I think it worsened any shipping shock she might have had, so I decided to put her in the cubby in my room and not handle her or feed her for several days. It's been a couple days already and 5 days since we bought her. I don't leave lights on and close the door on the armoire so she's not in any direct sunlight but there's still a day/night cycle going. I'm not really home during the day most days and I just check on her or have my sister check on her once or twice.

I was flicking a tiny, tiny amount of water on her substrate and mixing it to create some humidity on top of the water in her dish, and I have noticed good condensation on the container when the heat is normal. I haven't added any water in a few days because I've also seen that at this age it's a good time to keep the habitat pretty arid with access to water.

Any suggestions or tips or changes I should make?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. The Seraph

The Seraph Arachnobaron Active Member

USA
    Could you post pictures of the enclosure? Very helpful. How big is it? I would not at all worry about heat unless it gets below 65°F or above 90°F. Room temp is fine.
    Edit: Also, use scientific names! You almost certainly have a Brachypelma hamorii.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. nicodimus22

nicodimus22 Arachnomancer Arachnosupporter

Maryland
    Remove the cardboard. It can mold. Find a non-paper hide (cork bark is popular, and other things can work too.)

It shouldn't need any extra heat unless it's regularly below 65 in your room. If you're comfortable in a T-shirt, so are they.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. EulersK

EulersK Arachnoworm Staff Member

For your setup, watch this and come back with any questions :) First and foremost, as others said, remove the cardboard and stop worrying about temperatures. For a hide, you've got plenty of options: cork bark, broken terra cotta pot, broken coffee mug, half-buried PVC pipe, etc etc etc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Thekla

Thekla Arachnodemon Active Member

As others have said, remove the cardboard and post pictures of your spider and the enclosure. 74-80F is absolutely fine, you definitely don't need any additional heating.

By the way, how big is your B. hamorii? Age doesn't tell much, especially not as vague as "a young T", that could be anything from a sling to a juvenile, meaning anything from a few weeks to 2-3 years. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Derivative

Derivative Arachnopeon

Welcome to arachnoboards first and foremost. As far as advice there is nothing I can say that hasn't already been said except for welcome to the hobby and you will soon be addicted.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. olivianicole

olivianicole Arachnopeon

This is the setup right now... barren, i know. She just kicked dirt into her dish. I plan on changing it soon. We got one of those herp haven 9”x6” keepers, which I’m not really a fan of because of the height and lack of space. I tried her in it already and she climbed right up the side over the top, so I’m afraid of her falling. I’m thinking a 2.5 gallon tank or lower set terrarium would work much better since I want to place a better hide and maybe some foliage. I know they don’t care about size too much and all that extra stuff but I’d like her to have options. Also, what’s up with the bald spot on her abdomen? It was light there a few days ago, but now it’s more prominent today. I haven’t bothered her in a few days and she has no reason to be stressed. I lifted her lid gently and took a second pic, she’s pretty active right now.

Attached Files:

8. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Barren is ok, ts dont care and less clutter for many terrestrials just means easier hunting as prey cant hide. But definitely add a hide...it can be anything solid...a chunk of wood, a broken pot or coffee cup, a chunk of pvc, etc. A place to hide may make it less flicky....

Which leads to the increasing size of the bald spot....thats from flicking hairs. Nothing to worry about.

If your enclosure is too tall, simply add more substrate.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. olivianicole

olivianicole Arachnopeon

That’s a great video, thank you so much.

Thanks. I definitely want to increase the size of her enclosure slightly so there’s more room for a hide. I handled her gently a few times days ago and was worried when she wasn’t as active so I put her in that dark cubby and haven’t been bothering her so that’s why I was confused on the bald spot today.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Thekla

Enclosure size is fine now. You don't need a bigger enclosure for adding a hide. Just get a slightly curved piece of cork bark, bury it in an angle and make a bit of a starter burrow underneath.
    She'll take it from there...

hide.jpg

hide2.jpg

... or she might never use it. :rolleyes:

Forgot to say, please, try to not handle her. It does nothing to your T except putting it in danger. They don't like being handled, they might tolerate it, but you never know if or when they get startled and bolt... which could end really bad for your T.
    And she probably continued to kick hairs because she feels exposed/not safe without a hide.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. Tenebrarius

Tenebrarius Arachnolord Active Member

floor area minimum:
    3(DLS^2)

for a terrestrial T, height max:
    1.5(dls)

Ts dont drown caps are fine. put sub in upper ware and poke hole in it.

YOU T LOOKS FINE STOP IT WITH YOUR HYGROMETERS AND THERMOMETERS, THE THING LIVES IN THE REAL WORLD WITH HARSH TERRAINS AND VARING CLIMATE. ROOM TEMP AND WATER FROM A CAP WITH ENSURED FOOD IS LIKE AN ALL EXPENSES PAID VACATION. so let your permanent guest enjoy their lives.

DO NOT HANDLE TS they gain nothing from it, they dont enjoy it, and it is very risky.

oh I dont know maybe it is bald because it fears a mighty large dangerous predator that continuously grabs it will nibble on its adorable spider legs.

>she wasn't very active
    :shy: oh really a T not doing much of anything? how completely out of the ordinary.

also is it smith or hamorii? you seem to have referred to it as both.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  12. Thekla

This is not exactly right. I think you meant to write it differently. ;)

1,5x DLS should be the maximum height for a terrestrial T, measured from the surface of the substrate to the top.

13. Tenebrarius

Tenebrarius Arachnolord Active Member

what are you talking about mate that's what I wrote :troll:. lol I was pretty sleep deprived at the time. In fact I dont see why I was so mad at OP, maybe it was the handling.

14. olivianicole

olivianicole Arachnopeon

This didn’t help me at all, you just told me what I’m already doing and what everyone else confirmed in a much nicer way. I have a cap in there and she’s at room temp, I just like to make sure it doesn’t dip below 70. I’m a first time owner and that’s why I’m on here asking questions. B. hamorii was originally misidentified as B. smithi, but does it really matter anyways?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019 at 8:40 PM
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. The Seraph

The Seraph Arachnobaron Active Member

USA
    Two points to add:
    There is no swearing on here. You can edit your post via the edit button on the bottom.
    Secondly, Tenebarius just wanted to help in his . . . hmm . . . signature way that can be perceived of as rude. I agree that disliking your post was harsh and his reply could be conceived of as being in such a similar manner to that.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2019 at 1:54 PM
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. olivianicole

olivianicole Arachnopeon

Edit done. And he didn’t really help, just wanted to make a point and be loud.

• Agree Agree x 1