Captive bred Lubbers

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
So I assume since lubber's become poisonous by what they eat, if they are raised on specific foods that are safe you can feed them to other animals safely?

Has anyone raised lubbers successfully in captivity? Are they like raising "Locusts" for those in europe?

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
I always just heard of them being kept as pets never feeders. I’m curious as well. I also wonder if you could breed grasshoppers from the wild somehow to use as feeders.

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
Where have you read that they get their toxins from foodplants? I'm not sure whether that's true or not. AFAIK they're very polyphagous, while most insects that get toxins from their food have a distinct preference for specific toxic plants.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I always just heard of them being kept as pets never feeders. I’m curious as well. I also wonder if you could breed grasshoppers from the wild somehow to use as feeders.
Breeding grasshoppers is possible. But they actually are more difficult to breed than most species of what people consider locusts and lubbers. I've done breeding Californian species of grasshoppers before. They are not a reliable food source, you'd be surprised XD.

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/orn/lubber.htm

What I understand is wild lubber's definitely have preferences but still eat other things, but eat various toxic species of plants so they can stay toxic to vertebrates without them adjusting easily. But they eat non-toxic species too easily. I know a lot of people raise captive colonies on kale etc. But I just don't know if they feed them off?

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
We had a colony of lubbers in my old entomology department that had been CB for 15+ years and some idiot grad student fed a few to the tarantulas in the outreach collection. A few of the tarantulas ended up dying, but we never really figured out what happened. Those lubbers were kept on romaine lettuce, carrots, oats, and dry dog food.

It's a fair investment in time, effort, space, and food to get lubbers to adulthood too, so I'm not sure how good a feeder they'd make.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I thought in general, whether they are fed on toxic foods or not, lubbers were not toxic to inverts? Are lubbers more work/time etc than locusts and grasshoppers? I mean the massive issue with grasshoppers is that you are never guaranteed what you will catch out near me, there are about 4 different types of just native grasshoppers where I search. I wouldn't be surprised if there were like 3 types of lubbers and another 2 non-native species of hoppers. But the worst issue I have found with the local species of grasshoppers is they need a 3 month minimum of a cool off and like 1-2 months of an incubation? Idk what raising lubbers is like. It's really hard to find info on it at all

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
We had a colony of lubbers in my old entomology department that had been CB for 15+ years and some idiot grad student fed a few to the tarantulas in the outreach collection. A few of the tarantulas ended up dying, but we never really figured out what happened. Those lubbers were kept on romaine lettuce, carrots, oats, and dry dog food.
So lubbers most likely produce their own toxins.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I have been looking at a local species of grasshopper, that if I can find it may be the best option for a general grasshopper captive bred colony. I mean I have had mild success in the past with more... fragile and seasonal species so a hardier one would be nice XD

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have been looking at a local species of grasshopper, that if I can find it may be the best option for a general grasshopper captive bred colony. I mean I have had mild success in the past with more... fragile and seasonal species so a hardier one would be nice XD
Maybe Melanoplus differentialis? They seem to be pretty hardy and I've seen a variety of things eating them in the wild.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I think that's what I'd end up reaching for. I have seen a species that was the differential grasshoppers so I am guessing those guys were them. Since they are in my area. They are just a bit harder to find in my collection spot. Will have to look up on bug guide what their favorite areas are and find similar places around here in spring/summer.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I heard Roachcrossing sells them but I send and email and get no reply!
Kyle has been out for a while, but I just heard from him last night, so it sounds like he's working through all the emails and messages after getting back from a recent trip. I think he still has lubbers and I believe there are a couple other orthops he's starting to work with now, but not sure when they'll be available.