Can't even DESCRIBE this...

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Heh, the posts from the other people are what bothered me... ;)

I think I recall seeing this somewhere before (maybe even on a thread here) and it was said that that is just how that particular spider looks - there is nothing wrong with it.

Garbonzo13

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Could it have been eaten? (swallowed whole) It kinda looks like it is sitting on some kind of dung. Either that or it was a mutation that someone preserved and then placed outside for an interesting pic. I'm just doing alot of guessing here, but that is what it looks like to me.

DracosBana

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Actually, it's sitting on the guys gloved hand. A lether palmed work glove that's recently been used in the dirt.

If that's the normal look for that spider, then I HAVE to get one.

fscorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't think this is a spider species, looks more like a joke or something...
First, it has a tarantula body and I think all would agree that there is no such tarantula, not nearly looking like this one.
Second, this animal looks really dirty and we all know how clean spiders are, even when in camouflage, they all keep their bodies perfectly clean and neat. Not like crabs which would easily add some disgusting things on their bodies.
Third, the amount of this stuff pending from the spider legs is not equal on all legs or on both sides of the spider. If that was a true photo, it would have a much more symmetrical look!
It makes me think this is just a joke or a photo shop species :) or a rooted spider ;) I would be very happy if anyone could prove the opposite and tell me the name of this species or Genus...

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think it may be the real deal:
reason #1. symmetry, roots don't normally attain a symmetrical form, if you split that down the middle it would have the same form on each side. Normally not so for a conflaguration of roots.

So, either this is an elaborate hoax. Photoshop, or glued together parts. Or this could possibly be a dead spider that was found , funny how we're getting the reaction from this that one would from jesus on a grilled cheese sandwich:rolleyes:

Bloodletting

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It says a cadaver that the person found...It's obviously dead, as stated in the description, hence the dirt and certainly something could be growing on a dead tarantula/spider or any animal.

scott

RVS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pretty nasty.
Could that be some sort of slime mold?

wicked

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
looks like a potato that sat in my pantry too long. Freaky.
Well, its dead and wet with a bleached appearance, it very well could be some kind of fungus or plant growing through the carcass. Too bad we don't know where it was found. (unless I missed that part)
I would think if that is what it looked like in life there would already be a picture of it somewhere on this site or a site like Rick West's wouldn't there? Nothing that freaky looking could go for long without being spread all over the internet with a title like "camouflaged spud eating tarantula"

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
"I dont think its a trarantula though, aive seen quite a few, used to have one but never had any of that pink crap growing out of it."

LOL!

/Lelle

Waryur

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
im going to support the dead T with a fungal growth post mortum theory.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
could it possible be a molted skin that has some plants growing through it?

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Its a fungus. i remeber when I took mycology a long time ago in college seeing some ants and hornets have the same thing ahppen to them. Its a parasitic fungus that creates the shroom like growths after it has killed the host.

heyjeyniceid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ive seen this before. I believe Rick West had a slide of something similar to this in his presentation 2 years ago at the ATS.

Arlius

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
That picture has been floating around the internet for a long time. The poster wasnt the one to find it either.
Like said, its a parasitic fungus, wish I could remember which family it is from though.