Canon G12 troubles.

Caramell

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey everyone,
I recently got a Canon G12 for my birthday along with a Raynox DCR-250 macro lens with the universal adapter(52-67mm). I admit I am NOT an expert on the subject of lenses and all the great details of photography, I'm a newb just discovering it all by myself, and I happened to receive this high end camera.

Now the problem is attaching the Macro lens to my camera. At FIRST I believed I needed a step up ring, but I realize that it is not the case with my camera(if I'm wrong, please let the newb know!).

From what Ive been reading, the G12 needs a macro conversion lens that attaches to the barrel ring that increases it to at least 52mm to I can attach the universal adapter, thus attaching the macro lens.
Am I looking at the right piece of equipment here?
- http://www.amazon.com/FA-DC58B-Adapter-Canon-Digital-Cameras/dp/B0041RSPSW

Help is greatly appreciated, I only beg of you to not use big camera words for a newbie like me! :worship:

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Did the DCR 250 come with "squeezable" adapter that fits into the inside lip of the lens? It should be able to fit if there is at least an 1/8"+ lip but if there is nothing there for it to grip and additional adapter may be necessary.

Edit: OK, I see that the lip is pretty insubstantial? Hmmm...I'm not sure how that would work with the Raynox adapter...there would be a bit more space between the camera lens itself and the macro lens...increased magnification but lower DOF.

You may want to try posing your question via dpforums.com or somewhere similar. Good luck!

Last edited:

Caramell

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah I've tried gripping the adapter onto something, but its a no go. There's no thread on the lens, and the lens is 28 mm wide while the adapter is at least 52mm. Guess I'm gonna have to go to a shop and look at conversion lenses.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
That's a good bet if you have a decent cammie shop nearby. I hate playing the online guessing game when it comes to cammie components.

Caramell

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've never been in a professional camera shop in my life, but I do know there is one near me. I'll bring along both my camera and the macro lens with me to help out, hopefully they have the conversion lens for the G12.

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have a g9 and it uses a canon ad on lens adapter that affixes directly to the camera body and is similar to this one designed for the g12 which should work fine with the raynox;
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0355214

Not sure how the one in your link extends/retracts, might not work in some situations as I think the raynox may pop off if you retracted the lens too far in. Depends on if it stays fully extended independent of the g12 lens, which it probably does.

Nice camera, I love mine and would like to upgrade to the g12 but can't quite justify it as the g9 does most of what I really need.

Bill

Last edited: