Canned “Zebra Tarantula” on Amazon

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Okay guys -- fess up! I found this link to a slightly cheaper tin of "salted dehydrated tarantula:" https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C0R1TU0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There were 5 cans for sale... now there is *1* left. C'mon - some of you guys must have ordered this! 4 cans sold in under an hour??? How much demand was there for this product before this thread? rofl

[Okay, I could be wrong and it really is a popular food item.... :yuck:]
I don’t know... the cheaper one comes in a silver can and the more expensive one comes in a gold. Is this one of those times where we shouldn’t settle for the imitation product? Lol!

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I’ve eaten tarantula in Beijing and it really doesn’t taste good. Although the one I tried seemed to be Cyriopagopus hainanus so for all I know albostriatus tastes better.

In any case I felt guilty after trying it, but the experience was interesting

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I don’t know... the cheaper one comes in a silver can and the more expensive one comes in a gold. Is this one of those times where we shouldn’t settle for the imitation product? Lol!
Ah!
The difference I saw was that one tin was barbeque flavoured and the other tin just salted -- both were dehydrated or freeze-dried or something (didn't save the link, just noticed they had 5 of the 'salted' flavour and then only one left an hour later (after this thread). I never even noticed tin colour. The labels looked the same, except for flavour description.
[Found the link -- 6 in stock now -- guess seller added a few more tins due to new sudden AB demand for product... Or maybe the buyers felt guilty and canceled their orders. lol]

I’ve eaten tarantula in Beijing and it really doesn’t taste good. Although the one I tried seemed to be Cyriopagopus hainanus so for all I know albostriatus tastes better.
In any case I felt guilty after trying it, but the experience was interesting
A few years ago, I watched a youtube documentary-style show of a woman in Cambodia who made her living selling seasoned and fried Ts as street food -- it looked like a LOT of work for her (and her kids), but it allowed her to make a living. Since they were seasoned/fried Ts, they probably tasted better. (Hers were WC)

Last edited:

Phoenix G

Arachnopeon
Real question is, has anyone eaten crickets?? Of course, I’ve never prepared and eaten then myself but I’ve had them fried with chili and lime out in AZ and also sait and vinegar dried ones. Just take the legs off and they aren’t bad at all lmao

(Not joking :D)
This makes me wish there was another reaction option. lol I need something for D:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
You just described fishing...
And....? My point still stands.

Here in the Netherlands, we don't fish for food. We catch a fish, weigh it, and put it back in the water again. The fish species that are abundant in the North Sea and Wadden sea can be eaten since their population isn't affected. You don't fish for killing if that leads to dangerous decline of the species.

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
You just described fishing...
Not sure how fishing works in other countries, but while I dislike some aspects of fishing over here, I have to admit that fishing organizations put a lot of money and effort to breeding and releasing young fish into rivers and streams, keeping fishing sustainable.