1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you shock a T so badly it dies?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by peacelovekory, Apr 16, 2019.

1. peacelovekory

peacelovekory Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Like, I don't know if this is a dumb question but I was given a tarantula today by a family who just didn't want him. His cage is small for his size (at least it looks like it. I don't know if it is).

I am pretty sure he is going to molt soon when I saw a huge black beetle my friend said I needed to get it out because it could hurt the T.

I know I scared the daylights out of the T though. It was chilling on it's web and when I went to get the bug the T just ducked into the corned. :/

I don't know if I should have just left it? Have I jeopardized his molting process at all?

2. Paul1126

Paul1126 Arachnolord Active Member

If it wasn't in the process of moulting it will be fine.
    If it was in the process of moulting then that is a different story

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. peacelovekory

peacelovekory Arachnopeon

I am pretty sure it is in premolt... So I am just worried.

4. Paul1126

It will be fine, if it wasn't moulting then there was no harm done and it was wise to remove the beetle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. chanda

chanda Arachnoprince Active Member

You did the right thing. The large black beetle probably started out as a superworm or other beetle larva that was offered as a feeder to the tarantula, but was uneaten and pupated in the substrate. (That's why you should crush the heads of feeder worms before offering them to your tarantula - so they do not burrow and do not mature if they are not eaten right away.) Some feeder insects can feed on a tarantula while it is soft and vulnerable during or immediately after a molt, so if you suspect a molt is imminent, you do not want any other live bugs in the cage with it.

While the tarantula may not have been happy about you reaching into the cage to remove the beetle, as long as it wasn't actively in the middle of the molting process, it should be fine. It may scrunch up in a "stress pose" for a few hours - or even for a day or two - or retreat to its hide or burrow, but it will get over it.

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

Sometimes when you scare them they undergo spontaneous combustion so be careful.

• Funny x 6
    • Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Creative x 1
  7. ItsFebreze

ItsFebreze Arachnopeon

The beetle poses a much bigger threat than actually scaring the T. You could have done it WHILE it was molting and it would still be the smart choice. They aren't going to die of fright, even while molting.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Paul1126

• Like Like x 1
  9. Justin H

Justin H Arachnosquire

They can injure themselves and die if disturbed while actively molting. They are very vulnerable in that moment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ultum4Spiderz

Ultum4Spiderz Arachnoking Active Member

Especially in pre molt glad he saved the T . Some tarantulas will kill and eat beetles there fangs go right threw smaller beetles armor. .
    But a beetle is a huge threat, they will hide until a T is vulnerable or molting .
    Tarantulas do not know the keeper is not a predator so they always run if startled or kick hairs . They won’t hesitate to bite or show throw up a threat posture

11. don't worry, if its just in premolt you have to remove it, and it wont hurt the T if you do so :) you and her/him will be fine :)

12. Ultum4Spiderz

1. I had a a genic that had a wet molt , it didn’t make it sadly . Antilles pinktoe fell after molt , and hurt itself despite it’s small container. It looked also like it had a bad molt , neither were disturbed.
      Never leave superworms or carnivores roaches like orange head in a Ts container. I’ve never had dubia hurt a T.

13. maybe not but the risk is still there :/

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Ultum4Spiderz

Best to remove everything , Dubia can burrow though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. weigh your choices, a devoured T or bothering it a bit during premolt.

also Ts dont get scared, it is simple a defensive response to hide from a large possible predator.

they lack the biological capacity to be "scared".

• Lollipop Lollipop x 1
  16. Noah Blades

Noah Blades Arachnopeon

Indiana
    I had a t spontaneously combust on me back in Nam, i lost a leg. Be careful.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Sad Sad x 1
  17. Ultum4Spiderz

Maybe it was a tarantula alien , similar to reptilians but different species ?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2019
  18. RezonantVoid

RezonantVoid Hollow Knight Arachnosupporter

Had a similar thing happen to a old friend. The sound of stridulation still gives him flashbacks.

Not gonna lie I bought this little honker horn thing as a way to troll my friends in discord voice chats and after testing it out when I got it, my S.Kotzman, who was midway through a happy dance, just froze. After checking her the following morning, she was still in the exact same position, and the freshly captured cricket had been dropped and was roaming around relatively uninjured. The horn has power, I'm sure of it. Fortunately, adding a second cricket was all it took to remind her of her unfinished meal the night before

19. spodermin

spodermin Arachnosquire

So THAT'S what happened to your other leg...

That is precisely the definition of the biological capacity for fear

20. Noah Blades

Noah Blades Arachnopeon

Indiana
    Y
    Yes but I still walk fine without the need of a prosthetic