Can you house any species of tarantulas together?

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
Like a species that can have 2 in one enclosure their entire lives. I think it would be cool.

arachnidgill

Arachnoknight
Like a species that can have 2 in one enclosure their entire lives. I think it would be cool.
M. Balfouri
N. Incei
I just purchased 2 N. Incei slings and they were housed together. I separated them though cause for me the risk isn't worth it. If you are going to try it keep them well fed or they will eat each other if they decide they're hungry enough.

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
Depends how much experience do you have? I’ve heard m. Balfouri can do it but there pretty advanced being old world and all...

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
In addition to the two species already mentioned, H. gigas and P. regalis have also been kept communal. I certainly wouldn't recommend that you try do, but appearantly it can be done.

Joogvanhedel

Arachnoknight
Almost all communal eat at one point each-other.. Think you have the most change whit a M. balfouri communal.. The H. gigas seems also a good option, but i still keep them separately because i don't trust it.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
In addition to the two species already mentioned, H. gigas and P. regalis have also been kept communal. I certainly wouldn't recommend that you try do, but appearantly it can be done.
That would be a nerve wracking rehouse! Maybe some day....

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
Nah if it's a risk to the animal, I have no interest. I'm new and it was a wandering thought, so I came to ask. But even the slightest risk to the spiders and I wont

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
M. balfouri is your best bet for a successful communal.

Often mentioned but I wouldn't risk it:

H. villosella.
N. incei.
H. gigas.
A few Poecilotheria species.

Malo

Arachnopeon
Bunch of info and videos around on M.Balfouri communals but TheDarkDen did his rehouse last week. They're considerable size now.

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
Not what everyone has said, but given the risk that has been mentioned, I do not wish to do it, I just thought of it and decided to ask the spooder experts here. Cause google said you can, I dont trust google

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Not what everyone has said, but given the risk that has been mentioned, I do not wish to do it, I just thought of it and decided to ask the spooder experts here. Cause google said you can, I dont trust google
There is always a risk of cannibalism even among the small few species that have been successfully kept with others. Never 100% risk free is my point.

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
There is always a risk of cannibalism even among the small few species that have been successfully kept with others. Never 100% risk free is my point.
And my point was, I just wanted to ask and see if there was a 100%, since there is not.. I have no interest in trying any communal setups XD

Ray Lence

Arachnopeon
There are some abovementioned "communal species", but most tarantulas are territorial cannibals.
Tarantulas are ambush prediators, and it is a matter of chance, if something edible will pass by or not. So more tarantulas in one space = lesser chaces. That's how their evolution goes.
For instance, I've read, that b. smitti in wild kill any land-dwelling spider, that wonders into their territory.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
I mean I personally know people with successful balfouri communals but I've never heard of one failing.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
N. incei and Poki are not communal. In the wild, Poki's live a solitary life in a single hole in a tree high up in the canopy. The natives kill trees to obtain the Poki.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
N. incei and Poki are not communal. In the wild, Poki's live a solitary life in a single hole in a tree high up in the canopy. The natives kill trees to obtain the Poki.
I am pretty sure that P. regalis have been kept successfully communally.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The natives kill trees to obtain the Poki.
Yes. And I'm pretty sure that 'trees people' (who aren't hippies, eh, but those that heavily deforest the hell out for made a brand new Hotel or else) kill 'pokies' for 'kill' better their precious trees without risks, later.

I love the world, everyone is happy, this way: a perfect circle :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I am pretty sure that P. regalis have been kept successfully communally.
You may be right, but regularly or people were lucky? I've seen quite a few people put many into a setup and have no idea how many they put in, and claim it's successful despite not knowing how many were in to begin with.

Poki's tolerate each other, and even then only with sacmates are temporary communnals successful. In the end, there can be only one as The Highlander show says.

In the wild, not communal however.