can you feed ladybugs to slings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasker

Arachnoprince
Ladybugs are predetors that eat aphids. I don't know how big and strong their mandibles are, but it is good to keep this in mind. They also possess 'chemical weapons'. Ever tried to pick one up only to see them squirt some stinkish yellow fluid from the sides of their body? I am pretty sure they are not exactly tasty, hence the colourful warning signals on their backs ;). I advise against feeding wild-caught feeders as you never now what you are introducing into your enclosures. Is the orchard organic? Or are pesticides used on this orchard (or on an adjacent orchard that may have been blown over)?

So, in short: no, I don't think these lady bugs should be fed to your slings.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Never feed wild caught. They can have parasites. Ladybugs can also be toxic to some animals, as mentioned above.

Even if you don't use pesticides in your orchard, the bugs can carry pesticides from someone else's orchard.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This is a terrible idea. It's like feeding spiders to roaches. They are beneficial insects that help man jeez.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They wont eat them due to instinct.
If im not mistaken ladybugs have some chemical/pheremone that deterres predators from making a meal out of them.

They may strike it to kill/immobilize it, but id be shocked if it tried to EAT it

sasker

Arachnoprince
You've never been bitten by a ladybug? o_O Their mandibles can draw blood on humans.
No, I have never been bitten by a ladybug. My wife has, though, but not hard enough to break the skin. I think it is safe to say that all ladybugs are bastards and should not be fed to slings ;)

Last edited:

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
Pretty sure they're poisonous to some degree, may be wrong about that but I wouldn't do it.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
You've never been bitten by a ladybug? o_O Their mandibles can draw blood on humans.
Only some species of ladybug bite. Iirc there are some species from Africa that were introduced into agriculture to serve as useful insects, and those bite humans as well. The ladybugs native to Europe and North America generally don't have big enough mandibles to bite humans. From what I've gathered the African species are driving out the native ladybugs though. Like all introduced animals do in the long run. Humans will never learn...:shifty:
Edit:
@ilovefootvall no. You can't feed ladybugs, they're poisonous ;)

Last edited:

boina

Lady of the mites
Only some species of ladybug bite. Iirc there are some species from Africa that were introduced into agriculture to serve as useful insects, and those bite humans as well. The ladybugs native to Europe and North America generally don't have big enough mandibles to bite humans. From what I've gathered the African species are driving out the native ladybugs though. Like all introduced animals do in the long run. Humans will never learn...:shifty:
Edit:
@ilovefootvall no. You can't feed ladybugs, they're poisonous ;)
Psst... it's the Asian Ladybug (Harmonia axyridis), not the African one ;).

mconnachan

Arachnoprince

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
They are beneficial insects that help man jeez.
Beneficial my ass. In September, I get hundreds of ladybugs a day in my apartment. They get into my food during meals, they land on my head, they crawl on me when I'm sleeping, they bite, and they smell horrible if disturbed. Even if I catch them all and put them in a jar and freeze them, the next day, hundreds more are on the ceiling again. They come in through the wall somehow (this is a big old house that is sectioned off into apartments) and there is no way for me to stop them from coming in. They are a biblical plague as far as I'm concerned. Just as bad as locusts.

On topic: No, never feed them to your tarantulas. They could have trace amounts of harmful chemicals they picked up, and the fact that they can produce such a terrible stink at will leads me to believe that they have unpleasant chemicals in their bodies that I don't want my Ts eating.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Beneficial my ass. In September, I get hundreds of ladybugs a day in my apartment. They get into my food during meals, they land on my head, they crawl on me when I'm sleeping, they bite, and they smell horrible if disturbed. Even if I catch them all and put them in a jar and freeze them, the next day, hundreds more are on the ceiling again. They come in through the wall somehow (this is a big old house that is sectioned off into apartments) and there is no way for me to stop them from coming in. They are a biblical plague as far as I'm concerned. Just as bad as locusts.

On topic: No, never feed them to your tarantulas. They could have trace amounts of harmful chemicals they picked up, and the fact that they can produce such a terrible stink at will leads me to believe that they have unpleasant chemicals in their bodies that I don't want my Ts eating.

They are beneficial to the planet and to man, this isn't about you ;)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
LIES! LIES SPREAD BY THE RUSSIAN MAFIA! ;)
Nah man, lies aren't spread by the Russian Mafia, just Putin and our President and his entire family. Lately Dumb Donald Jr. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

ShureevilKnevil

Arachnopeon
damn!!! REALLY?!
And here they look so pretty LOL like a woman or a tarantula..the prettier they look...LOOK out!! lol

on the subject of ladybugs:
They are known to eat certain spider mites. Im DYING to know if they can cohabitate and avoid each other. Would it comprise a symbiotic relationship i wonder?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
damn!!! REALLY?!
And here they look so pretty LOL like a woman or a tarantula..the prettier they look...LOOK out!! lol

on the subject of ladybugs:
They are known to eat certain spider mites. Im DYING to know if they can cohabitate and avoid each other. Would it comprise a symbiotic relationship i wonder?
Cringey sexist comment aside, No.

Both are predators and all ladybug species I know of are toxic.

Status
Not open for further replies.