can u feed a scorp till it bursts

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i asked this question in the tarantula forum now im wondering if scorps do this too, eat so much that they burst because i have a small emp that has a huge belly and dosent look like he can eat anything else with out exploding, do scorps stop eating when there stuffed or do they eat untill they can burst

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
No...but a very fat and overfed scorp would, like tarantulas, be more susceptable to injury from a fall...though scorps are less likely to fall as they generally they don't climb much...the ones that do climb are the smaller species in general.

John
];')

Last edited:

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Kug,

Your typing sucks man. I think you need to go to bed or quit typing with your elbows. =D

Botar

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
Yeah...no kidding...sitting in my computer/bug room in the dark doesn't help much either.

John
];')

Diao

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's not a good idea to overfeed your scorpions. They cannot regurgitate, it seems, so stuffing your prized arachnid could possibly result in death. Try and stick to a regiment diet, adjusting as to how fat/skinny your scorpion gets.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
There has actualy been no convincing proof that you can feed a scorp to death. Granted, they can not regurgitate, but as long as your temps are high enough, they should have no problem with digestion and food rotting etc. They know when they are full, but have evolved to be able to handle a lot of food very infrequently.

Now, this does bring up a tangential point which I have been wondering about for a bit (warning: thread is about to be hijacked). I was watching a TV show and they were talking about this new imaging technology that relies on some kind of particle (can't remember) from a particle accelerator. Regardless, they were using this tech to x-ray insects and were getting really neat results. One thing that was thoroughly unexpected was how active the air passages were. We always have this vision of insect airways as being rigid like straws. Well what they have found in some at least is that there is an active contraction/expansion cycle. In other words, to some degree they are actively breathing. Now, scorpion breathing is very different, but could the same principle apply further? Is there more moving around inside a scorpion than we had previously imagined? If so, might obesity limit the movement? 10:1 they won't get that far in my lifetime.

Cheers,
Dave

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
Ummmm...I just thought we said that they don't do that...See...when they have too much food they just stop eating and sometimes go into a bit of a fast period for awhile.

John
];')