Can too many isopods be bad?

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Alright I started out with 2 adult isopods in my avic bicegoi enclosure and was doing some maintaince today and noticed that there was probaly 20-30 baby isopods running around. This may be a dumb question but can too many isopods cause problems for my tarantula. Thanks for the help guys.

Matt

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
never noticed any problems...heck I have seen isopode on the abdomen of my larger sp....they do not seem bothered by them at all....I have even seen them on shedding spiders without any problems at all.
They kinda remind me of remoras relationship with sharks

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My A.genic eats isopods, so there is never an overabundance for me....;)

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yeah usually I encourage as many as possible, since most of mine stay well below the dirt anyway.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
too much of anything can be bad. even water, vitamins, and air

if you have enough isos and somethign tweaks them and kills more than the remaining can eat... obligatory recaging

if you have enough isos for them to be constantly shifting around in the tara's burrow or hide i imagine the tara might eventually get forced out

of course, for those kind of scenarios you would have to have a pretty silly amount of isos in there

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Alright I started out with 2 adult isopods in my avic bicegoi enclosure and was doing some maintaince today and noticed that there was probaly 20-30 baby isopods running around. This may be a dumb question but can too many isopods cause problems for my tarantula. Thanks for the help guys.

Matt
seperate them and then use them on your other T enclosure's.... thats how i would solve this issue... imo

peace
Armando

Last edited:

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
If your spider constantly eats them they might be bad... as isopods are extremely good at eating things that contain heavy metals, which then in turn gather in their bodies. However, it's questionable how big a source of heavy metals there is in your tank in the first place, also what concentrations of heavy metals would be bad for the spider. So this is such a big what if question that the only safe thing to say is - probably better too little than too much. ;)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If your spider constantly eats them they might be bad... as isopods are extremely good at eating things that contain heavy metals, which then in turn gather in their bodies. However, it's questionable how big a source of heavy metals there is in your tank in the first place, also what concentrations of heavy metals would be bad for the spider. So this is such a big what if question that the only safe thing to say is - probably better too little than too much. ;)
but i sort of recall heavy metals are not metabolizable and tend to collect in fatty tissues and stuff.... and our little friends sometimes have MANY years to collect them in

interesting thinking, Cirith