Can too many insects kill a spider?

feralbby

Arachnopeon
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, or I've done something wrong here, this is my first post! I have a juvenile jumping spider, wild caught so I'm not sure exactly how old, or the sex. I'm not sure if it's P. Regius or P. Audax. Yesterday, I put some flightless fruit flies in with them, more than I usually do because I hadn't been able to feed them in a while for unrelated reasons. This morning, I woke up and there were less flies (I watched them eat at least one so I know they were eating) but the spider was on their back, legs curled up. Are they dead? Is this molting? They made a web along the enclosure wall that looks like pictures I've seen of molting sacs, but they're laying on the ground of the enclosure, not in that sac. I took as many of the flies out as I could, and lightly misted the enclosure.
Is there anything else I can do? Did I do something wrong? I just really hope I haven't killed my spider by being stupid.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Spiders don't typically eat directly before molting and the fact that it's on the ground isn't a good sign. The flies wouldn't have hurt it directly unless they were somehow contaminated. You shouldn't mist a molting spider but what's done is done and it doesn't sound right, anyway. It might be gone. Just leave it and see. Cross your fingers.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A molt is a prime time moment for a spider to get killed by an insect.

feralbby

Arachnopeon
Spiders don't typically eat directly before molting and the fact that it's on the ground isn't a good sign. The flies wouldn't have hurt it directly unless they were somehow contaminated. You shouldn't mist a molting spider but what's done is done and it doesn't sound right, anyway. It might be gone. Just leave it and see. Cross your fingers.
I got the flies from a pet store, is there a chance they were contaminated somehow? I'm just in shock, the spider seemed fine last night. Active and eating, and just nothing this morning. I'm leaving it alone just in case but I'm completely devastated.

ThemantismanofPA

Arachnoknight
just had a centipede get eaten by a hoard of T. sessile last night while it molted... while thats not too common in my experience, it is possible for crickets and darkling beetles, isopods, and a few other prey/ cleaners to munch on your pets while they molt