Can this be an appopriate enclosure?

HDemon2619

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone!
So im planning on buying a couple of slings this upcoming week, and i want to ask if you guys think that a box with dividers will work just as good (its a bit like a toolbox)
You can see it here http://www.namplas.com/Box-Box/Box-Box-Original/Compartment-Box/640.html

Now i know theres a lot of talks about how unsafe these kind of boxes are, some said that tarantulas will chew the dividers, or they will find their way somehow but idk, this looks pretty safe for me. I mean, this box is made out of acrylics, just like most of adult size tarantula enclosure but theres no record about an adult tarantula chewing their acrylics enclosure, so this must be pretty safe right? But idk tho, would love to hear your thoughts!
And also, if i use this kind of transparent material, will the tarantulas get stressed because they see another tarantulas so close to each other?

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
I would not risk keeping Ts in this. Especially that it have one cover for all chambers. When you open it, sling can run to another chamber, and imagine that in this chamber is a little bit bigger, hungry A. Geniculata...

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
I’ve seen more than one “my Ts ate each other after getting through the divider” thread. As cool as a divided enclosure sounds don’t do it. Good luck!

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
A simple search should answer your question. Don't be the guy that ignores the advice and goes through with it.

HDemon2619

Arachnopeon
I would not risk keeping Ts in this. Especially that it have one cover for all chambers. When you open it, sling can run to another chamber, and imagine that in this chamber is a little bit bigger, hungry A. Geniculata...
Im aware of that matter, so i planned on cutting the cover into 4 section but still want to hear opinions from others first

I’ve seen more than one “my Ts ate each other after getting through the divider” thread. As cool as a divided enclosure sounds don’t do it. Good luck!
A simple search should answer your question. Don't be the guy that ignores the advice and goes through with it.
Okay, im going to read more thread regarding these matters. Thanks!

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Well, I really don’t think you should worry much about a spider chewing through acrylic, especially at sling size. Otherwise, deli cups would get destroyed.

The only problem I see is, as stated earlier, a solid lid would not be ideal because of having to open all four chambers at once. Since you mentioned that you’ll cut the cover into sections, that could work. But you REALLY need to pay attention to how secure each section of the lid is. Spiders can squeeze through surprisingly small gaps.

I’m trying to imagine working with this container, though. Seems like you may have issues with rehousing. I like having the ability to manipulate the angles of enclosures when rehousing. Seems like having four enclosures stuck together might present challenges.

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
Im aware of that matter, so i planned on cutting the cover into 4 section but still want to hear opinions from others first
Unless everything fits perfectly and tightly, there is a big chance spiders will squeeze through it. Its really just not worth the risk. This container is just bad idea, its much much better to keep Ts in separate tanks.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Even if the spiders don't move into other chambers, I would hate the lid being open on all at the same time. It is just very hard to keep your eye on multiple spiders simultaneously. Tending to one sling and focusing on that one is what is needed for your pets and yet it could increase the likelihood of another sling getting out. Also depending on your slings, some may be prone to escape. My E sp red will walk out any chance he gets, for example. I recently got a juvenile Haplopelma sp Colombia and read/was told a lot about how even the tiny slings will quickly far out and run off.

IMO- deli cups are the way to go!

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Containers are so cheap and easily attainable, anyone trying to set up a split cage is wasting their time and money.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Im aware of that matter, so i planned on cutting the cover into 4 section but still want to hear opinions from others first.
Fair enough! Before I give mine, I've but one question, "Why is this type of enclosure(s) necessary?". A pertinent question before I weigh in.

HDemon2619

Arachnopeon
Well, I really don’t think you should worry much about a spider chewing through acrylic, especially at sling size. Otherwise, deli cups would get destroyed.

The only problem I see is, as stated earlier, a solid lid would not be ideal because of having to open all four chambers at once. Since you mentioned that you’ll cut the cover into sections, that could work. But you REALLY need to pay attention to how secure each section of the lid is. Spiders can squeeze through surprisingly small gaps.

I’m trying to imagine working with this container, though. Seems like you may have issues with rehousing. I like having the ability to manipulate the angles of enclosures when rehousing. Seems like having four enclosures stuck together might present challenges.
Hmm i see. I think you’re right. Rehousing sure will be harder to do with that. Good point, thank you

Even if the spiders don't move into other chambers, I would hate the lid being open on all at the same time. It is just very hard to keep your eye on multiple spiders simultaneously. Tending to one sling and focusing on that one is what is needed for your pets and yet it could increase the likelihood of another sling getting out. Also depending on your slings, some may be prone to escape. My E sp red will walk out any chance he gets, for example. I recently got a juvenile Haplopelma sp Colombia and read/was told a lot about how even the tiny slings will quickly far out and run off.

IMO- deli cups are the way to go!
That’s why i thought about cutting the lid into 4 sections. But nevermind, after reading other’s opinion, maybe it is a bad idea afterall. Besides, cutting an acrylic that thin and fragile may be too complex for me to do

Containers are so cheap and easily attainable, anyone trying to set up a split cage is wasting their time and money.
Unless everything fits perfectly and tightly, there is a big chance spiders will squeeze through it. Its really just not worth the risk. This container is just bad idea, its much much better to keep Ts in separate tanks.
Okay, thanks for both of you!

Fair enough! Before I give mine, I've but one question, "Why is this type of enclosure(s) necessary?". A pertinent question before I weigh in.
Well, its not really necessary, but i like the idea because
1. Its more space-saving. A box can hold up to 4 Ts effectively without unnecessary space
2. Its safer. I know some people keeps their T in pill vial, and although its convenient, but its pretty unstable. A little push may drop not just a vial, but also a whole batch. This could be dangerous for the T too, as the substrate used in the vial may bury them alive
3. Its easier to monitor the Ts. The clear acrylic makes it easier to look whats happening in the enclosure. And since it can contains more than 1 T, it would be easier to monitor them (and also feeding. Too bad the lid only come in 1 piece)
4. Its aesthetically pleasing. Lets be honest here. Which one looks better: boxes of deli cups/ pill vials vs a divided acrylics box?
Well at least these were my motivation as why i would like to have a divided box as enclosures, but however now i think it wont work so i change the plan. Thank you!

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Hmm i see. I think you’re right. Rehousing sure will be harder to do with that. Good point, thank you

That’s why i thought about cutting the lid into 4 sections. But nevermind, after reading other’s opinion, maybe it is a bad idea afterall. Besides, cutting an acrylic that thin and fragile may be too complex for me to do

Okay, thanks for both of you!

Well, its not really necessary, but i like the idea because
1. Its more space-saving. A box can hold up to 4 Ts effectively without unnecessary space
2. Its safer. I know some people keeps their T in pill vial, and although its convenient, but its pretty unstable. A little push may drop not just a vial, but also a whole batch. This could be dangerous for the T too, as the substrate used in the vial may bury them alive
3. Its easier to monitor the Ts. The clear acrylic makes it easier to look whats happening in the enclosure. And since it can contains more than 1 T, it would be easier to monitor them (and also feeding. Too bad the lid only come in 1 piece)
4. Its aesthetically pleasing. Lets be honest here. Which one looks better: boxes of deli cups/ pill vials vs a divided acrylics box?
Well at least these were my motivation as why i would like to have a divided box as enclosures, but however now i think it wont work so i change the plan. Thank you!
1) separate cages use basically the same space and are easier to add vent. And easier to move.

2) whole batch? Only breeders keep boxes full of vials in tubs. Us hobbyists just have a bunch on the shelf.

3+4) separate acrylic cages look the best imo.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Rehousing sure will be harder to do with that. Good point, thank you
That’s why i thought about cutting the lid into 4 sections. But nevermind, after reading other’s opinion, maybe it is a bad idea afterall. Besides, cutting an acrylic that thin and fragile may be too complex for me to do.

My biggest concern, as @Anoplogaster pointed out, is the rehousing aspect. Even with the multiple lids you would still be stressing the others through the vibrations alone.
Good that you've stated doubts on your ability to fabricate a proper multi lid top. I respect you for that decision.

HDemon2619

Arachnopeon
1) separate cages use basically the same space and are easier to add vent. And easier to move.

2) whole batch? Only breeders keep boxes full of vials in tubs. Us hobbyists just have a bunch on the shelf.

3+4) separate acrylic cages look the best imo.
Hmm okay, thank you

Yes, thats what im afraid of too that the other Ts will stress the other one. But now i use separated deli cups so it should be fine. Thank you!

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Hmm okay, thank you

Yes, thats what im afraid of too that the other Ts will stress the other one. But now i use separated deli cups so it should be fine. Thank you!
Tarantulas can't see each other through walls. Their vision is that poor.

HDemon2619

Arachnopeon
UPDATE

So no, i dont use a box with dividers, instead i went to a restaurant near then buy some food. After that i told the waiter to pack the (intentionally) uneaten food with some deli-cup-like lunch boxes and here they are!
Please tell me what you think!
P.s: they are 1.5cm

511A3443-E03E-48FD-AB87-BFDD46A281BF.jpeg
Grammostola pulchripes A7595D7D-5EE7-4E19-94D5-953AE94DA11B.jpeg
Nhandu cromatus BFB77EB3-CBE5-47D1-BB64-26504CEB4D5C.jpeg

Attachments

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
But i thought they can ‘see’ by sensing vibration?
They're also very light animals. If you have any any that create that much vibration that it scares other spiders, lemme know lol.

They have their sensory hairs and eyes. So they do have a "normal" vision. Which is likely very poor. Some people think arboreals have better vision. Which makes sense, they sometimes have to jump onto other trees and spot airborne predators.