can tarantulas hear?

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by skinheaddave
Avicularia DO have incredibly long setae (one of the reasons I don't like them)...
delayed reaction - it took me 24 hours for this to bounce around the subconscious enough...

Is this some sort of skinhead bias, Dave, you got something against the Ts with long hair?

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Chip,

Yes, actualy. I tend to like the less fuzzy Ts. Of course I like scorps, so go figure. But truly, I like short haired Ts, short haired dogs, non-poofy birds, I hate short-haired cats less etc. etc. It is an aesthetic.

As for my subjective definition of hearing, that it is. It is all about how I imagine things to be perceived. Do we "hear" the wind in our hair? You see, I don't expect my hesitancy to call it hearing stand up to your standards or anyone else's. I just don't feel comfortable calling it hearing beyond in a sort of loose fashion (like my previous post).

Cheers,
Dave

Diao

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My old Emporer became incredibly aggressive when I played Venetian Snares. Understandable, but my rosie pays no attention to the music I'm listening to, be it harsh and abrasive or mellow and ambient.

Mad Scientist

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I believe that I read somewhere to determine whether or not a T can detect airborne vibrations, is to shout something in their direction from a distance. ("distance" being the operative word as to not actually startle them by a blast of air; making them run becuase you breathed on them)

If the soundwaves from the shout causes them to run. You know they sense vibrations.

But in all honesty who wants to look like an idot shouting at a T? ;P

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I gave two of my Ts a hearing test. Since I do hearing tests on my husband's patients, I tried out my C. cyaneopubescens and B. pallidum on the audiology equipment. I put them in the audiology booth (sound-proof room)and put the headphones on top of the cage. (No, it wasn't possible to put the headphones on the T. :)) I tested them out at on tones between 125 Hertz to 10,000 Hz and at up to 100 decibels. The Ts were at 2 inches and 5 inches away from the headphones. That means that they weren't getting tested with the full 100 decibels but that is still fairly loud. I didn't see any reactions from them when I turned on the tones. This either means that they don't care or they don't hear the sound. 125 Hz is pretty low-pitched so I suspect that they sensed vibrations from that. I should try this out on a more nervous specimen, but I suspect that even if they can hear it, loud noises don't bother them very much. A better experiment would be to try to condition them with food to respond to different sounds.

Karen N.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by skinheaddave
Chip,

Yes, actualy. I tend to like the less fuzzy Ts. Of course I like scorps, so go figure. But truly, I like short haired Ts, short haired dogs, non-poofy birds, I hate short-haired cats less etc. etc. It is an aesthetic.

As for my subjective definition of hearing, that it is. It is all about how I imagine things to be perceived. Do we "hear" the wind in our hair? You see, I don't expect my hesitancy to call it hearing stand up to your standards or anyone else's. I just don't feel comfortable calling it hearing beyond in a sort of loose fashion (like my previous post).

Cheers,
Dave
Hey now, my husband's a long haired hippie! We just cut off 16" and sent it to "Locks of Love" and it's STILL long... so no slams!!=D

Great idea Karen!!!

My neighbor is completely deaf (from birth) and he's kinda more sensitive to the bass portions when we play music. He can feel them very clearly..... but is he "hearing?""If a tree falls in the forests, and no ne is there to hear it, does it make a noise?"

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my t doesn't seem to mind hearing extol near full volume so i guess it must not bother him much.

Richier89

Arachnopeon
I'd think you both think wrong as I've seen many posts from people who listen to extremely loud music in the presence of their Ts and get no reaction.

They do appear to be able to pseudo-hear with their ability to pick up atmospheric vibrations (some have reported them learning to react to their caretaker's voice versus other human voices), but they also seem quite capable of adapting to tune out any non-important vibrations.
I can second this, my T's are in a diy built unit with sliding perspex doors (which dont run too smoothly sadly).at first they all would bolt into their hides, but now none of them budge at all

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
My Tarantulas don't care about music, but if I play anything by Basement Jaxx, all of my Avicularia (Avic, Versicolor, Metallica) will come out of their webs and start making circles around their enclosure. I have 8 genus of Tarantula and only the Avicularia respond to Basement Jaxx.
Mine did this prior to removing them from my theater room/ bedroom. Explore during loud noise, bass.

Feel Camile

Arachnopeon
i was wondering if my t enjoys listening to my music :D
Im like 13 years late on this thread lol but its really strange that people say tarantulas can't hear, because I play rainforest sounds like birds and monkeys lightly, about 10 or 15 away from my pink toe and every time I turn on the bird sounds, which is not loud at all, she starts walking all around her cage. I just wish I knew whether she was liking it or if she was scared. I actually play it for my plants and it seems that my other Little Critters like it.