Can superworms harm a tarantula?

radiophobia

Arachnopeon
Hello! I recently returned from a three day trip, and because all of my crickets somehow managed to die I fed my B. albopilosum (curly hair) a couple super worms. He (or she, I'm not sure yet) took the first, but the second he ignored and it burrowed down into the substrate. I don't want to remove my T. from his enclosure and mess up his burrow and webbing to find out that super worms are not harmful, but I want to be sure so that my T. isn't harmed.
Also, just to be safe, if the super worm itself is not harmful, would it be harmful once it pupates into a beetle? I want to be as safe as possible.

EDIT:
If I leave the super worm in my T.'s enclosure for a day or two should it be alright? The T. isn't in pre-molt and hasn't molted recently. I just need to find the time to dig through the substrate in search of the worm. I haven't had much time on my hands as of late and I am working on different assignments, sadly.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member

arachnidgill

Arachnoknight
Always crush the heads of superworms and mealworms before feeding them. Also how big is the tarantula? Two superworms is a large meal

radiophobia

Arachnopeon
The tarantula is about the size of the palm of my hand, but I had first offered a very small super worm (which he took) and then a small second, which he did not.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I can’t emphasize more emphatically what has been posted above. YES, they can harm a T. This subject is near and dear to my heart because I lost a scorpling to a medium super worm. Retribution is ongoing. I lower the worms slowly into the enclosures, speaking to them of their impending doom.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Hello! I recently returned from a three day trip, and because all of my crickets somehow managed to die I fed my B. albopilosum (curly hair) a couple super worms. He (or she, I'm not sure yet) took the first, but the second he ignored and it burrowed down into the substrate. I don't want to remove my T. from his enclosure and mess up his burrow and webbing to find out that super worms are not harmful, but I want to be sure so that my T. isn't harmed.
Also, just to be safe, if the super worm itself is not harmful, would it be harmful once it pupates into a beetle? I want to be as safe as possible.

EDIT:
If I leave the super worm in my T.'s enclosure for a day or two should it be alright? The T. isn't in pre-molt and hasn't molted recently. I just need to find the time to dig through the substrate in search of the worm. I haven't had much time on my hands as of late and I am working on different assignments, sadly.
Yes you need to remove the Superworm as soon as possible.

radiophobia

Arachnopeon
Oh my... I'm going to be sure to find the worm as soon as possible. I'm sorry for the loss of your scorpling... I have lost a good few pets as well, but on a lighter note, I certainly will not let that super worm harm my T.
I can’t emphasize more emphatically what has been posted above. YES, they can harm a T. This subject is near and dear to my heart because I lost a scorpling to a medium super worm. Retribution is ongoing. I lower the worms slowly into the enclosures, speaking to them of their impending doom.