1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can spiders eat chicken eggs?

Discussion in 'True Spiders & Other Arachnids' started by Cororon, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Cororon

Cororon Arachnopeon

Sweden
    Advertisement
    Hello!

I'm new to this forum and please forgive me if this is a stupid question! :shame:

I have a couple of Steatoda bipunctata spiders that have lived with me for almost a year now. I've fed them flightless fruit flies during the winter, but I don't like having to do that because the fly cultures always end up with nasty grain mites.

I got an idea and what to know what you think of it. Sure, these spiders can go months without food, but I wonder if I can feed them tiny rectangles of boiled eggs (or poached scrambled eggs)? There are plenty of proteins and nutrients in eggs.

Maybe I could put the tiny egg piece on the web and then poke it carefully with a needle so the spider will think it's a live insect and come down to "catch" it. I have done that with mosquitos I've killed, and managed to lure the spoods to catch them. Works every time. :cool: Without poking them the spiders seem to think it's just debris.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Ratmosphere

Ratmosphere Arachnoprince

CT
    No.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Cororon

Cororon Arachnopeon

Sweden
    I hoped for more detailed replies than that. :)

4. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

Is it capable of digesting (liquefying) eggs? Probably. Is it likely to eat eggs? No.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cororon

Cororon Arachnopeon

Sweden
    Alright, I think it shall be an interesting experiment if I decide to try it. One of the males likes to sit in the middle of his web to eat, so he's the best candidate. The other two always take the food with them to their hiding places. But they have plenty of insects for now, so there's no hurry. :)

6. schmiggle

schmiggle Arachnoprince Active Member

If you are thinking of experimenting, I would actually do it now so that you know if you want to think of something else when you actually need it. Given that it's unlikely to work, it's worth trying it early so you know if these spiders even might eat eggs.

7. NYAN

NYAN Arachnoangel Active Member

CA
    Feed them crickets or something similar.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Cororon

Cororon Arachnopeon

Sweden
    Hm, I might do it the next time I buy eggs. These spiders have slow metabolism and can go months without food, but I sure won't let them even begin to starve. If they don't like eggs I'll get them fruit flies, even though I hate those. Oh, the responsibility!

Maybe, if I can find really tiny ones. I gave them Drosophila hydei flies last winter. When the female spood left her old web I looked through her garbage pile and found thin mosquitos, small flies, springtails, tiny beetles and a pseudoscorpion. And lots of spood poop. :D A month later she came back. She checked out her old web, but decided to build a new one on the bottom of a floor lamp. She had no idea that another spider lived just a few inches away. They met eachother for the first time last week. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2018
  9. NYAN

CA
    These are adults? If so fruit flies are too small. They can take large crickets as adults.

10. Cororon

Cororon Arachnopeon

Sweden
    Drosophila hydei are the bigger fruit flies. This is Big Neighbour carrying a hydei this spring. He's an adult now, but except for the male palps not much bigger. They save the leftovers for later, so they get at least two meals out of those little flies. :) The biggest things they have caught have been crane flies and stone flies. All three spiders live near the floor so I can't clean that part of the room without disturbing the webs, so big dead insects on the floor isn't that fun. And I sit only three feet from them.

[​IMG]

11. schmiggle

Oh, these are living in your house? Are you sure they don't catch some prey naturally during the winter? My house definitely gets more bugs when it's warm out, but I would hardly say that we have none in the winter.

I also think these guys could probably handle at least medium sized crickets--that's one thing a web is good for, if you will.

12. The wolf

The wolf Arachnobaron Active Member

U.K.
    My s.nobilis hasn't eaten in months,her last meal was an adult cricket and she's still so fat I would worry that she may explode which I've had happen with a bipunctata

They can make it through the winter on nothing at all but they will find something when ur not watching

13. Cororon

Cororon Arachnopeon

Sweden
    Yes, I think they were born here last summer and are siblings. Winter had just started when I found them, and I couldn't throw them out in the snow. I don't see many insects in my house during winter. One or two pseudoscorpions maybe, but I'm not sure what they eat. There could be some tiny critters around that I'm not aware of.

Brrr, dead crickets on the floor... I'll think about it.

I don't want any pets and the responsibility that comes with it, but these little freeloaders are just too nice and cute!

14. NYAN

CA
    This is interesting. I thought these were in enclosures rather than housemates. I have a S.Grossa who I haven’t fed for at least a month. Somehow she still has 6-7 egg sacs though. She’s probably eating her children.

15. Cororon

Cororon Arachnopeon

Sweden
    Yeah, you sure don't want to overfeed them. I once read that the record holder for a spider to go without food and water was a bipunctata and 18 months.

Sometimes when I have the window open I'm like "please please, walk out and try to find a mate!" But no. Instead a male came in through the window and visited one of my spiders for a while.

Maybe your S.Grossa has eaten a couple of her eggs? Some spiders eat their own silk, but I'm not sure if the Steatodas do that? Must be lots of protein in the egg sac silk.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2018
  16. NYAN

CA
    Nah, the eggs only increase in number. It’s like a self sustaining colony I have here.

17. schmiggle

You wouldn't expect to see most of them, I don't think. We have house centipedes that I think have a sizeable population, yet I can go months without seeing one. The pseudoscorpions are eating even smaller arthropods, so you probably have springtails or something similar as well.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Cororon

Cororon Arachnopeon

Sweden
    I have seen the spoods nibble on springtails. There used to be lots of springtails outside around the window, and some came in. I guess they are still around, but not as many as before. When I see pseudoscorpions I always wish them good luck. ^^

19. WildSpider

WildSpider Arachnosquire Active Member

USA
    S. grossa is actually the spider that got me started in this hobby. I had caught it, threw it in a jar and forgot about it:arghh:. Probably a few months later I found it, decided to toss it a fly and have been hooked ever since;).

20. Smokehound714

Smokehound714 Arachnoking Active Member

Socal
    Actually, ive been experimenting with non-prey foods and egg is one of my success stories. it works best if the egg is cooked a bit first.

Small pieces of chicken have been working too. Some people have even got spiders to eat fish flakes. finding an alternate food source is always a good thing in case your feeder connects fail.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1