can someone identify these for me

neveragain

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was bored today, so I went to some petstore near my house, and saw a tank with 2 "african dirt scorpions" in it. so i asked to check them out, and I ended up buying them. They were $14.99 each, but for some reason they only charged me for one. Oh well.

Anyway, I think they might be Hottentotta trilineatus, but I am not too good at identifying.

and can someone let me know the conditions they should be kept in, and if they are communal or not? They were kept together in the same tank in the store, and on the ride home they were walking all over eachother without any problems, but I just wanna make sure. I check www.invertcare.com, but there is no caresheet for Hottentotta trilineatus (if that is even what they are)

Thanks.

Attachments

Last edited:

Andrew

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yah, i am pritty shure they are hottentotta cause i have one like that to. very nice scorpions. how are they doing liveing to gether?.

Ride on.................Andrew

Kaos

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi!

I'm rather sure that they are Hottentotta Trilineatus, but you should get it confirmed by someone with more experience. As for keeping them i'm not sure. My two H. Polystictus are doing excellent together, they are on a sand/peat moss substrate with some rocks to hide under, and a low water dish.

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Is the larger of the two gravid you think?

Looks so.

Later

dale

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
They look like H.trilineatus to me, but the ID of Hottentotta is notoriously difficult and the genus has just recently been revised .. again. Anyhow, I have kept these guys as any other desert scorp -- sand, water dish, hide. That being said, I recently read someone saying that their Tanzanian scorps all seemed to appreciate slightly more humid conditions (but not "forest" conditions). I have yet to look into that/change my keeping proceedure.

Cheers,
Dave

neveragain

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks.

Should I make their enclosure have substrate that is a few inches deep so that they can burrow? or do they not burrow, and just a small hide good enough?

and should I seperate them, or are they communal?

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I have given mine the opportunity to burrow but they never do, prefering to hide instead. Some don't even seem willing to dig scrapes, prefering to hide under peat cups.

I know some people keep them communaly, but I have always kept them seperate. They are definitely not on the list of "highly sociable" species, so if you keep them communaly your milage may vary.

Cheers,
Dave

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Also, if you have a m/f sexed pair they may be more communal. It looks like you may have a male and a female at first impression.

john
];')

neveragain

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, I put them together in a medium sized critter keeper, and after a few minutes, i dropped a couple crickets in. Then the little one jetted and ran ontop of the bigger one. The bigger one then stung (or at least it looked like it did) the little one a bunch of times. But the little one didnt die or anything, so I guess it didnt get stung, I dont know. I still have them together and will keep them together unless i see another "fight" like that happen.

Anway, I didnt know this species was that good at climbing. They were both running all over the cork bark just like my c.exilicauda does, and now they are both hanging upside down under seperate pieces of bark.

Here is a pic of the enclosure I made for them. I only put a thin layer of sand for now becuase I didnt have a lot.

Attachments

Cooper

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Those are some ice lookin scorps! Good deal to boot!!!;)

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice scorps! I have the same species and was told they are H. trinlineatus.

I've received some of these from people who got them out of Tanzania. IME they are communal, and I've kept up to a half dozen together without incident, regardless of sex. They pile up on eachother even.

I currently keep mine on peat. They don't burrow, nor do they hide much, but stay out all the time.

Here's a scoop of their native conditions over the next ten days. 9 out of 10 days partly cloudy. 1 out of 10 days isolated thunderstorms. 66F at night to 84F during the day. 8% chance of rain on average over a period of 10 days. On average in July there is 1.2 inches of rain, in August 1.1 inches of rain (that's over a months time). 55% humidity during the day to 90% humidity during the evening.

Hope that helps some.

Dave,

When was the revision done??

Best wishes,

Paul