Can my Tarantula get high?

Snowboardbunny

Arachnopeon
This is not a joke. My husband smokes marijauna for his back. He has a medical marijauna card. Anyway, My tarantula's home is near my husband when he smokes. I have noticed that she is very slow. For example, it takes her like 2 hours to walk an inch. And she just sits all the time. She's only two years old so I'm thinking that she is getting stoned. Any comments on this?;P

Sooner

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know nicotine from tobacco is very toxic to invertebrates.

I don't know if cannabinoids are toxic to invertebrates, I doubt they are. But I don't think they can get high from marijuana.

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I would highly recommend NOT smoking near your T's, especially if they are acting funny. The main reason plants produce compounds like THC and nicotine is to ward off predators, often insects. Also, smoke in general is not healthy, and a small animal like a tarantula could be more sensitive to it than a larger animal.

endoflove

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
actualy the less Oxygen the T' takes in the worse off it will be so smoking is bad (put cigrett smoke in a glass cup and put a spider in it. they actualy stop moving cuz they cant)

Ether Imp

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is not a joke. My husband smokes marijauna for his back. He has a medical marijauna card. Anyway, My tarantula's home is near my husband when he smokes. I have noticed that she is very slow. For example, it takes her like 2 hours to walk an inch. And she just sits all the time. She's only two years old so I'm thinking that she is getting stoned. Any comments on this?;P

Yes.. Your husband smokes marijuana because his 'back' put him up to it. Likely story.

Medical Marijuana card = Dealers phone # on a card from Kinkos?

Sorry, it's been a while. I must be out of the loop on drug lingo. When I had to explain to my mom where I had been all night I used to tell her my friends and I went "bowling". Now it's "I threw my back out!"

Edit: I would avoid getting my tarantula high. It's impossible to know what ill effects marijuana (or other) smoke could have on a T.

roncruiser

Arachnopeon
actualy the less Oxygen the T' takes in the worse off it will be so smoking is bad (put cigrett smoke in a glass cup and put a spider in it. they actualy stop moving cuz they cant)
This person was stoned when he wrote this.

Ether Imp

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is just uncalled for. You dont even know these people so I find it rude that you basically call them drug addicts. A good idea for you would be to think before you post something so rudely inappropriate.
I practically admitted to being a pothead when I was younger. I thought it was pretty clear I was joking.

Oh.. And just because someone partakes in the recreational use of marijuana does not make them a drug addict.

I mean, yea, the OP could be lying about a medical problem and they both could just be raging pot heads. But unless you know that for sure, dont post comments like that.
Why not? Afraid someone might have a sense of humor?

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I practically admitted to being a pothead when I was younger. I thought it was pretty clear I was joking.

Oh.. And just because someone partakes in the recreational use of marijuana does not make them a drug addict.

Why not? Afraid someone might have a sense of humor?
I apologize, I wasnt aware that you were joking. The way that you wrote it seemed as though you were purposefully being rude. Sorry.

endoflove

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This person was stoned when he wrote this.
i anit stoned !!!!!! im a good boy! but a friend tried that with a house spider and it dident move one bit i fugure it to be cuz they cant tollerate low O levels with contaminants in the air

Steve Calceatum

Arachnolord
Old Timer
OK, so I'll be the first to come straight, here.
Disclaimer: I live in Pot-Central USA, so weed is kinda the norm here among those who chose to do so. I'm not implying that EVERYBODY here in P-Town smokes weed, so anybody living in the Pacific Northwest that doesn't partake, please do not flame me for saying this. I've applied for my medical card (I do have a "chronic" condition that would warrant it), but considering that I've been the "Hippie" among my friends for the last 20 years, the only difference that's going to make is whether or not my recreational activities are within state legality.

I smoke weed occasionally, but absolutely NEVER in the same room as my T's....or even my cats!!! Their brain structure is not capable of handling altered mindsets. Imagine getting high for the first time....but not to your knowledge. Imagine that you ate something that you did not know was going to F you up....and five minutes later, BAM!!!....And you're outta your mind!!! You would FREAK!!!!! Of course, you'd calm down eventually, once you regained control of your dome. But being that animals do not posess the same psychology, or physiology that we do, they cannot control their own minds or bodies like human beings can.

If tobacco is a poison to inverts, and smoke in general deters insects, then I'm not willing to put risk to my valuable pets. Same reason I don't handle them when intoxicated. It's a risk to my very loved animals. They don't choose to smoke, drink, or take other intoxicating substances.....but I do. So therefore, I keep it away from them. If I see one of my beloved animals in my stash, I might warrant some thought to the matter (I once had a cat who was a pot-head, so it's not a far-fetched idea). But ALL of my animals keep themselves away from my cigs and smoke, so I don't even bother to question it.

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Unless you're intentionally blowing smoke through the lid of the enclosure to get your T high on a daily basis you don't have anything to worry about. I know quite a few people who have smoked pot for years in close proximity to their T enclosures without any apparent rise in mortality rates. If I had to guess I'd say a cigarette smoker puts his Ts at greater risk than someone smoking marijuana ever does. Either way, chill out dudes. It's all good. Peace.

Shagrath666

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I dont directly get my Ts high, but sometimes the airflow takes my herbal smoke that direction, I dont think they have THC receptors, not even all mammals have them. I would worry more about the carbon particulates (as there are no carcinogens in marijuana smoke, and thc can actually reverse effects of lung cancer but thats a whole diff thread for diff board) in the marijuana smoke clogging the book lungs. but as i smoke ciggs in the room with my Ts too, i think that is worse than the weed im smoking. But with either i have noticed no ill effects to any animal in my room, and i have cats fish reptiles and inverts. Im not saying there arent ill effects, but in the reletively short time I have observed my animals in a smoke filled enviroment there has been nothing I can attribute to smoke illness.

but my cats love to get high:D

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
If anything, I would be wary of tar building up in/on/around the enclosure and on the T. Granted, I cant say I have ever seen that happen, but there is definitely tar in marijuana smoke, and it would make sense that it could accumulate on anything the smoke settles on. To prevent this, maybe hold the smoke in extra long so there is no particulate left when you exhale.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
sorry to hijack, do you think that incense smoke would bother a T? I use to burn them all the time, but I stopped when I got my first T. But if I can I'd like to continue to use them

Last edited: