Can jumpers eat insects with harder shells?

truecreature

Arachnoknight
Initially I resisted jumpers because of their tiny size and short lifespans, but now I've given in and bought a P. regius. And man I'm already addicted.

But anyway, I dropped off a few bean beetles in its cage and when it caught one it dropped it soon after, so I don't know if the shell could've been too hard for its fangs to penetrate? Ideally I'd like to stay away from crickets because I don't trust them, but only feeding it fruit flies is kinda dull. I also have rice flour beetle larva if it might accept them out of a bottlecap, otherwise they'd burrow

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Initially I resisted jumpers because of their tiny size and short lifespans, but now I've given in and bought a P. regius. And man I'm already addicted.

But anyway, I dropped off a few bean beetles in its cage and when it caught one it dropped it soon after, so I don't know if the shell could've been too hard for its fangs to penetrate? Ideally I'd like to stay away from crickets because I don't trust them, but only feeding it fruit flies is kinda dull. I also have rice flour beetle larva if it might accept them out of a bottlecap, otherwise they'd burrow
I hope this helps: I have offered Phiddipus audax bean beetles, and the beetles were successfully ripped apart and turned into a bolus. I suspect that if P. audax can handle a bean beetle, P. regius of sufficient size should be able to do so without trouble.

truecreature

Arachnoknight
Oh thanks, that's good to hear :)

I'm wary of using crickets because with P. regius supposedly being a diurnal spider, I don't want it to be attacked by a cricket at night if it fails to eat it that day. The cage has cork bark tubes in it for climbing and it would be too much of a pain to find and grab any small loose crickets in there with tweezers to remove uneaten ones

Nephila Edulis

Arachnoknight
A jumper will quite happily eat rice flour beetle larva from a bottle cap, as for the jumper dropping the bean beetle it seems as though he's too lazy and well fed to bother tearing it apart.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
phidippus seem to be adapted for taking down hard shelled prey with their enormous chelicerae and long fangs

truecreature

Arachnoknight
Thanks guys, I'll continue to use the bean beetles then. Lord knows I'm drowning in the things.