1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I see your pokie sling setups?

Discussion in 'Vivariums and Terrariums' started by jrh3, Mar 17, 2019.

1. jrh3

jrh3 Knights of The Arachno Table Arachnosupporter

Advertisement
    looking for some ideas for setups on 3/4” to 2” sling setups.

2. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnoprince Old Timer

I bought bamboo sticks what was around 5 cm in radius. They came in lenghts of 2 meter and sawed them into 20-40 cm pieces depending if they where ment for small juveniles or large juveniles!
    Or i just round bark i found in the woods on dead trees!

3. jrh3

I have access to tons of bamboo, good idea. Do you leave it solid round for them to hide in?

4. Vanisher

Yes i just sawed them off in 30 cm pieces. They where hollow so the tarantulas lived to retreat within them!

5. l4nsky

l4nsky Arachnoknight Active Member

STL
    I keep it simple, half gallon (for 1" slings) or gallon mainstays (2.5"+) from Walmart. Pokies grow fast and the larger enclosures limit the amount of rehouses they need. Setup wise, they are ventilated on two sides and the top, about 2" of substrate to help hold humidity levels, bottle cap water dish, leaned piece of corkbark, and a few pieces of plastic plants. I offer established adults cork rounds for hides, but I want to be able to see the slings to better gauge their health and premolt.

Thanks,
    --Matt

6. BoyFromLA

BoyFromLA ‎٩(ˊᗜˋ*)و Arachnosupporter

CA
    While this I set up for my Avicularia perpurea sling, though I would set up for any Poecilotheria slings enclosure same way.

E29C87A2-F350-4BCF-84D0-3594F7207C36.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  7. Vanisher

Isnt there a risk that the spider escapes without a lid?o_O

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. BoyFromLA

BoyFromLA ‎٩(ˊᗜˋ*)و Arachnosupporter

CA
    Free range tarantulas are more healthy, you know. :angelic:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Award Award x 1
  9. Vanisher

Yes of course Boy from LA! I forgot. The more space a tarantula has the healthier it will be!

I can se in front of me the whole ceiling in your bedroom covered with Avicularia and Poecilotheria slings!:nailbiting:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  10. l4nsky

STL
    Nah, just one extremely fat P. ornata wondering when A. juruensis morphotype 2 is on the menu :p

Thanks,
    --Matt

11. l4nsky

STL
    20190319_185039.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  12. lostbrane

lostbrane Arachnobaron Arachnosupporter

32 oz deli cup, with a piece of cork bark leaned to one side with some fake plants on at least one side to cover the gap.

Haven’t gotten to the point yet but once they hit about 2.75” is when I plan to rehouse (potentially into a final enclosure).

• Like Like x 2
  13. jrh3

Thats my plan too, just got the cups setup. They will be here this week.

14. LailaQ

LailaQ Arachnopeon Active Member

Newbie here. I want to get my enclosure set up in anticipation of my first sling, and am trying to figure out about ventilations: where to put my holes/how big they should be/how many. I’m looking at your awesome Mainstays set up, @l4nsky, and can see the ventilation holes on the one side. Are there also holes on the opposite side and/or the lid? Did you use a drill, or a soldering iron? (I have a soldering iron that I use for making reptile hides, so I’d like to use that.)

I’m assuming I put the majority of the holes on two oppposite sides (A/B); but do I also put holes on the top of the screw on lid (D). (Ignore letter C, I couldn’t unedit my stupid pic.) I’ll be using the smaller container for the sling, when it arrives, and the larger container is for rehousing the red-butt jumping spider that my son’s preschool class is enjoying as they learn about insects and arthropods.

Any help in this arena would be grand.

Attached Files:

15. l4nsky

STL
    Hola,

A soldering iron is my preferred tool of choice for thin plastic like the mainstays. I've used drill bits in the past and found it quite tedious. I also will wash the containers before adding the inhabitants to make sure nothing toxic is left behind. I dont know if it's necessary, but I do it regardless. As for hole placement, going by your picture, holes go on sides A, B, and the lid (D). A and B get holes in a grid pattern (usually like 3 x 7 or 4 x 8). I use the indented handle in the back as a guide, keeping the grid roughly the same height as the handle. I usually put 9 holes in the center of the lid in a circular pattern to take advantage of the stack or chimney effect to vent hot air from the top and suck in cooler air from the sides. I am planning on making a modification to these and any future ones I build. A lot of keepers hate these because of the top corners. Spiders like to hunker down in them during a rehouse. I'm planning on putting a hole or two in each corner to prod the spiders along.

Thanks,
    --Matt

16. LailaQ

Dude. Thank you!!!!!! This is exactly the info I need!!

• Like Like x 1
  17. jrh3

What kind of sling is it you are getting? That will determine alot on how many holes and where to put the holes as some species such as avicularia, need more ventilation.

18. LailaQ

Welllllll, that’s a toughie. I’m currently T-less, but I’m trying to get something in the Homoeomma (FKA Euathlus) family. Im leaning towards draws T’s, smaller than the typical beginner T’s, but also very docile. (Skittery spoods make me ) That’s a long shot, though, so I’m still researching. That’s not going to be much help, though, in figuring out how many ventilation holes my enclosure will need—sorry.

19. LailaQ

I’m also leaning towards Thrixopelma sp blue or cajamaca; or Ami sp. panama.

20. Nonnack

Nonnack Arachnoknight

Poland
    Here is how i keep my Asian arboreal slings:
    [​IMG]