Can I reuse my mites infested substrate?

Enrico

Arachnopeon
I was just wondering if there's a method or somehow get rid of mites forever? I usually just dispose the substrate and like entirely replace all the substrate. And I've been disposing many substrates just to make sure the mites won't crawl up to my other enclosures.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Mites need humidity to thrive most of the time. So the drier the humidity, the less chance of mite infestation. I mean, i'm not sure what type of mites you have, but drying out the substrate/humidity completely helps me most of the time.

RonnyT

Arachnosquire
I was just wondering if there's a method or somehow get rid of mites forever? I usually just dispose the substrate and like entirely replace all the substrate. And I've been disposing many substrates just to make sure the mites won't crawl up to my other enclosures.
You could probably bake the substrate in order to get rid of the mites, however that seems like too much work. Disposing it is easier and better.

Enrico

Arachnopeon
You could probably bake the substrate in order to get rid of the mites, however that seems like too much work. Disposing it is easier and better.
Just as I thought haha, I thought I was doing it wrong for disposing it. Thanks for the advice though. :)

Mites need humidity to thrive most of the time. So the drier the humidity, the less chance of mite infestation. I mean, i'm not sure what type of mites you have, but drying out the substrate/humidity completely helps me most of the time.
Thanks for the info. The mites I'm having are the ones that tend to scavenge on leftovers, I think I might have also misted too much and my T always spills her water.

Last edited by a moderator:

RonnyT

Arachnosquire
Thanks for the info. The mites I'm having are the ones that tend to scavenge on leftovers, I think I might have also misted too much and my T always spills her water.
Misting is not needed at all, just pour water directly into the substrate

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Mites are really not a problem. I would just let the substrate air dry completely and give it some time for the mites to die or leave, and then I'd add it back to my sub bin.

boina

Lady of the mites
Or you could just ignore the mites and be done with it.

Baking is about the worst thing you can do. It will not only get rid of mites but of every other microscopic creature in there, too. Then the next mite egg will come along from the air and will find a pristine, wonderful enclosure all for itself - you will have a muc worse mite explosion than without baking.

Mites are a normal part of any substrate. They spread via air. It's absolutely impossible to get rid of them for long - and there's no need either since they are harmless and will just help the cleanup crew.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I agree with @boina here.

You could bake it or freeze it. But best to just get rid of it and get some fresh stuff. Dirt isnt expensive.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Another way to sterilize is to have slightly moist in a canning jar and pressure cook at 15psi for about an hour. This is how many people sterilize substrates to grow mushrooms in. However, as stated by others, it will kill them, but it won't precent the next mite or mold spore etc. from taking advantage of the unoccupied realestate. Perhaps mixing 50/50 sterilized/unsterilized could help. Just guessing though. Luckily I have yet to have any mite issues yet...

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You could....but I would never do it.

oc162960

Arachnopeon
I just microwaved the dirt and be gone the mites. Ha! Also never came back. They were from some plants my friend put in when I was gone. Easy done job.

boina

Lady of the mites
They were from some plants my friend put in when I was gone.
And how in the world would you know that? Because the plants were put in at the same time as the mites appeared? What kind of reasoning is that? Yesterday a book fell from the shelf and I saw a mite, therefore the book book caused the mite to appear - that's the same kind of nonsensical reasoning.

Mites are everywhere anyway. Grain mites are all over your house and there is no way you will ever get them out of there. When your enclosure provides even a little moisture they will get back in there - I can guarantee it. Small populations are usually overlooked anyway.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Yesterday a book fell from the shelf and I saw a mite, therefore the book book caused the mite to appear...
That's just silly. The mite was there all along and PUSHED the book off the shelf. I must say boina, I'm a bit disappointed that you did not realize what had happened.

Did the book in question happen to be the classic "Of Mites and Men?", by any chance?

boina

Lady of the mites
So tell me without the internet, how much do you know about mites?
What is this, a test? Sorry, but you are in no position to make demands like that. Try reading the link about mites I provided from a mite researcher.

Just for your education: Plant mites and grain mites belong to different mite families.

boina

Lady of the mites
Exactly. A mite researcher, not you. And how much do you actually remember from over a decade ago?
I just don't need people like you roaming the forums thinking your all that and more telling me that my reasoning is wrong and that you are correct. And to be frank, your "degree" is from a college with a steadily decline ranking and they won't even release their acceptance rates so don't give me your crap that you have a degree.
Why do you make this personal?

And btw., regarding your reasoning, the difference between correlation and causation was known more then 100 years ago and is still a valid scientific principle today. It has nothing at all to do with mites.

Look, just stick with mites and tarantulas and stop with the insults. I'm sorry you took it so personal when I tried to explain that 'happened at the same time' doesn't mean: 'one caused the other'.

jdjn13

Arachnopeon
If only people had the sense to listen to people more educated than themselves and not throw a hissy fit when they're corrected...