Can I own an Egyptian fruit bat in CT?

Esherman81

Arachnoknight
If I ever were to obtain one of these, which I probably never will now, I'd build a huge shed like sanctuary that could fit a few of them in. It's definitely not cool at all to keep them in a confined space so they're unable to fly.
:) sounds so cool :)

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I keep my parrots fully flighted for the same reason. Their freedom.

But I am pretty sure bats are illegal in all states not just yours.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
I know people throughout the United States who have them though. Some states allow you to have lions, tigers, and bears so why not a bat?

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Upon further research, I found out you need some special permits to legally own one of these.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
I know people throughout the United States who have them though. Some states allow you to have lions, tigers, and bears so why not a bat?
Rabies has an 100% fatality rate. I would assume you'd have to take anti-rabies shots every year.

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Pretty much give up everything you want to own living in CT except for the willingness to pay excessive taxes. They ban everything there.... literally
between state bans and local town bans.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Could captive bred Egyptian fruit bats have rabies?
Yes. Any mammal can get it, captive bred or not. And I don't know if you could even get the vaccine for the flying fox. Or any bat. Now I love bats, I think they're cute, but to me they belong free to fly whether they eat insects or fruit.

houston

Arachnopeon
Rabies is a huge problem in bats. Most of the cases of human infection is from people interacting with bats (if you ever find a bat on the ground or during daylight, its almost certainly infected). Additionally, even if you vaccinate an exotic, the law does not recognize it. Wolfdogs have the exact same biology as typical dogs, but there is no certified rabies vaccination. If your animal bites someone, it's dead. I would read up on Vader the fox; he was a friendly little thing, until a ""concerned citizen"" reported that they were bitten. Here's an article about it.

Additionally, what everyone else is saying about bats being gross lil' things is true. They poop, pee, and spit up whenever and where ever, have a super rapid metabolism, and since they're colony based and do best in groups of 10+, you have not one poop machine, but a dozen. They're also not domesticated or even tame, so they probably won't interact with you (unless you only keep one and deprive it of a colony, but that's horrendous and likely to kill it from stress in mere months) beyond feeding time. They need massive aviaries, excellent ventilation, and protection from natural bat species-- you don't want your bats to get the population sick, or vis versa. All this adds up to a huge, probably >>> 100x100x50 foot cage, double wired to prevent outside intruders (and if you have Tiny Brown Bats, you'll need .5inch grids or smaller), lots of fans, a substrate and enclosure that you need to clean/ change out every day (if not twice), and all for some pets you might not even see.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Rabies is a huge problem in bats. Most of the cases of human infection is from people interacting with bats (if you ever find a bat on the ground or during daylight, its almost certainly infected). Additionally, even if you vaccinate an exotic, the law does not recognize it. Wolfdogs have the exact same biology as typical dogs, but there is no certified rabies vaccination. If your animal bites someone, it's dead. I would read up on Vader the fox; he was a friendly little thing, until a ""concerned citizen"" reported that they were bitten. Here's an article about it.

Additionally, what everyone else is saying about bats being gross lil' things is true. They poop, pee, and spit up whenever and where ever, have a super rapid metabolism, and since they're colony based and do best in groups of 10+, you have not one poop machine, but a dozen. They're also not domesticated or even tame, so they probably won't interact with you (unless you only keep one and deprive it of a colony, but that's horrendous and likely to kill it from stress in mere months) beyond feeding time. They need massive aviaries, excellent ventilation, and protection from natural bat species-- you don't want your bats to get the population sick, or vis versa. All this adds up to a huge, probably >>> 100x100x50 foot cage, double wired to prevent outside intruders (and if you have Tiny Brown Bats, you'll need .5inch grids or smaller), lots of fans, a substrate and enclosure that you need to clean/ change out every day (if not twice), and all for some pets you might not even see.
@houston. You said it better. @Ratmosphere. If you want to see bats, come out to NM and visit Carlsbad Caverns!! Both dusk and dawn it's quite a beautiful sight!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The thing I love about Connecticut (aside for the name... from an Italian spell/point of view I mean, uh) is that everything is banned, a No, or whatever but in North Stamford chimpanzee like Travis were ok back then, ah ah ah pazzesco :rofl: until the point things went in the toilet.