1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I own an Egyptian fruit bat in CT?

Discussion in 'Not So Spineless Wonders' started by Ratmosphere, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Ratmosphere

Ratmosphere Arachnoangel Active Member

Advertisement
    Anybody know if I can own an Egyptian fruit bat in Connecticut? They have some dumb laws that may prevent me from obtaining one. Where can I check to see if I can own one?

2. basin79

basin79 Arachnoprince Active Member

I'd hopefully think you can't own a fruit bat.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Ratmosphere

4. Ghost56

Ghost56 Arachnobaron Active Member

All bats lifespans are severely shortened in captivity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ratmosphere

Wow, I thought it would be the opposite since it would be getting more food! Thanks for the information!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ghost56

Ya, it's really a bummer too. They'd be awesome to keep.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoemperor Active Member

Christ, from what I've heard and keep hear about, Connecticut isn't "invert/animal friendly" at all. I keep talking about Italy but Italy is a heaven, if compared :-s

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Ratmosphere

On a care sheet it says that in the wild they live 8-10 years and in captivity the record is 22 years.

9. Ghost56

From every thing I've read, that's quite the opposite, literally. Maybe @basin79 has some more info?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. KevinsWither

KevinsWither Arachnobaron

Then again, we are shipping t's and stuff. Personally since a bat is an exotic pet, your'e going to want to give it a lot of flying space and to be sure to keep any insects in there cages and away from the bat. Bats are notoriously good hunters of mantises and other insects, even carnivorous katydids. As of that, I assume that you need a good amount of flying space along with feeding a varied diet.

11. KevinsWither

Wait, just checking, don't. They don't live very long after doing some research. Also quite regulated due to SARS and rabies

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Thistles

Thistles Arachnobroad

Virginia
    A friend of mine is actually looking into getting some of these. He has a contact in Illinois who does bat educational shows. I know nothing about them, so don't ask me, but http://www.incrediblebats.com might be a good resource.

13. KevinsWither

More I found is that they need as much space as your house, not joking. They also poop and pee and spit out fruit pulps many times a day and do other dirty things. Wouldn't do it. Not worth it

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Esherman81

Esherman81 Arachnoknight Active Member

USA
    Oh yuck ..I thought cleaning after pets I gave now was a lot of work that sounds like a full time job .

15. basin79

I know nothing about them but for the "average" keeper they wouldn't have the room surely? They need to fly. What size space would they need? Not a 12x12ft room/shed/enclosure that's for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Ratmosphere

It says 6' x 6' x 6' on the care sheet. The enclosure is not too hard to build either. I hear you though, they do need to fly. That's one reason why I'm steering away from it now.

17. basin79

How is a bat with a 2ft wingspan supposed to fly in a 6ft enclosure? Or of it's 6m then that's 18ft square which is better.

18. Ratmosphere

No idea, I'm just going by what I read.

19. Esherman81

Esherman81 Arachnoknight Active Member

USA
    they have a 2 ft wingspan..so a they need a huge cage ..

20. Ratmosphere

If I ever were to obtain one of these, which I probably never will now, I'd build a huge shed like sanctuary that could fit a few of them in. It's definitely not cool at all to keep them in a confined space so they're unable to fly.