Can I have two centipedes in one habitat

terribletrexx

Arachnopeon
I live in Southern California and May be able to catch some desert centipedes. Can I have two in a terrarium.

Owenmurray

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't if I were you. There are some species that it can potentially work out with, but I wouldn't risk it with polymorpha

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You can put two centipedes in the same enclosure - but it is highly probable that you will end up with only one surviving centipede. Like with the movie Highlander (does anybody even remember Highlander?) "There can be only one!"

NYAN

Arachnoking
Not likely.. unless your container is very large and they don’t run into eachother. I only know of one species of scolopendra which is communal and polymorpa isn’t it.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Don’t do it. There are a few centipedes you can keep together like Alipes multicostis and some others.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Don't keep polymorpha or heros together, both are highly cannibalistic.

Only a few species such as Rhysida longipes, Scolopendra mutilans, and Alipes multicostis are communal, and even then, cannibalism is entirely possible.

Psydeus565

Arachnopeon
Curious.... I find Scutigera coleoptrata together under things often, does anyone know it they would do fine in a communal setup?

kermitdsk

Arachnosquire
Curious.... I find Scutigera coleoptrata together under things often, does anyone know it they would do fine in a communal setup?
Yes in my opinion are Scutigeromorpha the only centipedes you can keep communal. Maybe Scolopendramorpha will kill each other not immideately but over time they will, also Alipes or Multilans!
But Scutigeromorpha I can tell you from Thereuopoda longicornis they do well communal.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
I had a Scutigera eat two smaller ones I put in with it... they were all well fed. T. longicornis may be different in that regard; that's something I would love to see.

kermitdsk

Arachnosquire
I had a Scutigera eat two smaller ones I put in with it... they were all well fed. T. longicornis may be different in that regard; that's something I would love to see.
Interessting, maybe was the diffence in size to big? Or you had only males? 1.1 and 1.2 Thereuopoda longicornis in nearly same size was no problem for me and I know another keeper who did same without problems. I could see them mating, absolut fantastic.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Interessting, maybe was the diffence in size to big? Or you had only males? 1.1 and 1.2 Thereuopoda longicornis in nearly same size was no problem for me and I know another keeper who did same without problems. I could see them mating, absolut fantastic.
I didn't sex them but they were similar sized adults. They aren't found together in the wild (or in my basement!) unlike Thereuopoda which I think live in loose gatherings in the wild. I'd love to have a big cave-style setup with a pair of those... so pretty with the red and black. A shame that those aren't common in captivity.